cpu temp sensors   - simplewizard - 06/09/2009 12:44 AM  
 cpu temp sensors   - Zingfharn - 06/10/2009 03:57 AM  
 cpu temp sensors   - Speedwayaudio - 06/10/2009 06:10 AM  
 cpu temp sensors   - Billybob7 - 06/17/2009 04:16 PM  
 cpu temp sensors   - simplewizard - 06/21/2009 07:44 PM  
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/08/2009 04:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
simplewizard

Hi I am hoping somebody here may be able to help me. I've read numerous posts on this subject and still am looking for an expert's advice or piece of mind to go by the cpu temp or the core temp.

I've been using HWmonitor that came with my mobo/cpu combo and it gave me idle temps avg of 32-53*C cpu temp, only showing systemp and cpu temp. Ok I thought. Then later, started experimenting with speedfan, coretemp (new beta), AOD (newest version), and Everest Home edition, and they all show core temps of 41-65+ under full load. I have the bios set to shut off the pc at 60*C when it hits, but according to coretemps, it hasn't triggered it yet.

I can now assume the mobo read's off the cpu temp, which is not the actually cpu core diode's, and it tells me I am safe. Everest, Coretemp, AOD, and just about every forum I've read tell me core temps are what matter and that when I run prime95 or AOD's stress test, in less than a minute I'll be frying the cpu. (It heats up really quick I have to stop it).

Motherboard: Biostar 790gx xe (bios date 5/25/09)
processor: Phenom II 940 and stock cooler
Antec 900 case
kind of crowded inside with hard drives, cables and video card, but could be a lot worse.

Everything is runing at stock speeds, CnQ on, smartfan mobo options off, ddr2 @ 1066.
I installed the stock cooler with AS5 tim according to Arctic's advice of a 3/4 size a bb or so. Fan runs b/t 3k-4k rpm generally depending on cpu temp.

What do you think?
 06/08/2009 04:51 PM

Author Icon
B-Shot
Case Modder

I own a Biostar TA790 GX XE I had the same trouble
The hardware monotor is ant accurate at all nor is the overclocking tool they both show lower temps and higher CPU freq.
than what they actually are.
There is no heatsink on the mosfet's which make the cpu temps a lil higher tan they actually are.
I just average my temps with AMD OD and bios temps.

By the way dont use prime95 too long you will turn the mosfet's for the cpu into smoke bombs
Thats what happend to my first board.
Here is good info for Biostar boards.
 06/08/2009 05:54 PM

Author Icon
simplewizard

wow thanks for the quick reply.

I'm sorry to hear this news. So my Phenom II 940 BE cannot be run full load under stock settings? What a shame. I just tested my temps again with coretemp (beta) and prime 95. Lowest recorded was 35*C and it hit 60*C in a minute and 15 seconds with prime95. CnQ is on. Mobo smartfan is off.

Any suggestions?
 06/08/2009 06:09 PM

Author Icon
HaricotVert
B1FF

Originally posted by: simplewizard
So my Phenom II 940 BE cannot be run full load under stock settings?

Be aware that all AMD CPUs, from the mightiest Phenom to the lowliest Sempron, all have what is known as a Thermal Trip. It is a circuitry feature that will cut power to the CPU (and thus the system as a whole) once the CPU thermal diode detects a core temperature in the neighborhood of 90+ degrees Celsius.

The maximum sustained temperature of a Phenom II 940 is 62'C. 65'C is not going to destroy your CPU any time soon.

There is nothing wrong with your system as far as I can see. A 60'C automatic shutoff is way too low anyways. If you are exceeding 70'C, then sure there is reason for concern... 60'C is a mark that is regularly hit by this processor.

Enjoy your processor, and try not to stress so much about temperature!
 06/08/2009 07:29 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

The Antec Spot Cooler works great for issues like B-Shot mentioned.
even just a regular fan and some hot glue will work as well if you do not want to spend much money on cooling the mosfets.

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 06/09/2009 12:44 AM

Author Icon
simplewizard

Just concerned because my dv camcorder requires encoding, and if the cpu cannot run at 100% or close to it without reaching the threshold, it bugs me. I'll try reseating the HSF again and see what happens. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
 06/10/2009 03:57 AM

Author Icon
Zingfharn

The correct temperature to go by is the one in HWMonitor, under the chip itself, or Speedfan, the 'Core' temp reading.
Don't go by the general temperatures numbers, which are coming from the motherboard, rather than that chip.
I'm running CoreTemp .99.4 and the number under 'Temperature Readings' -> CPU#0 is correct (52C). Right now, the motherboard is reporting 51.
As things getting hotter, this gets worse. That is, CPU actual temp may be 62 (when I stop tests running), but the motherboard reports 59. Core Temp, the right part of hardware monitor and the core value on Speedfan are what you should trust.
 06/10/2009 06:10 AM

Author Icon
Speedwayaudio
Overclocker

Why don't you buy a good aftermarket heatsink? Work on the airflow in your case too.

FX 8150 X 8 4.5MHz
Asus Crosshair V
ATI Radeon HD 6950 X2
8 gb Corsair Dominator GT 9-9-9-24@ 1866mhz DDR3
Seagate 7200.10 HDD LG BluRay HD DVD
w/LightScrib
Crucial M4 128 SSD
55"Vizio LCD
Corsair HX 1000 psu
NZXT Phantom Black
Corsair H80 push/pull
Razer Death Adder VooDoo edition mouse and Keyboard.
 06/17/2009 04:16 PM

Author Icon
Billybob7

Originally posted by: Zingfharn

The correct temperature to go by is the one in HWMonitor, under the chip itself, or Speedfan, the 'Core' temp reading.

Don't go by the general temperatures numbers, which are coming from the motherboard, rather than that chip.

I'm running CoreTemp .99.4 and the number under 'Temperature Readings' -> CPU#0 is correct (52C). Right now, the motherboard is reporting 51.

As things getting hotter, this gets worse. That is, CPU actual temp may be 62 (when I stop tests running), but the motherboard reports 59. Core Temp, the right part of hardware monitor and the core value on Speedfan are what you should trust.

Either some one told you wrong or you need to reread the AMD technical documents. The temperature AMD is concerned about for maximum temperature is case temp which is the first reading in speedfan and the temperature your motherboard's BIOS is reporting. Core temp means very little in the scheme of things and if your case temp is 59c, you are still OK if its under very heavy load although you probably should look at another cooling solution.

MSI DKA790GX Platinum
Phenom 9950BE o/c 3.0ghz-Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
2 x GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz @ 5-5-5-15
Diamond Radeon 4890 o/c 950/1150
Antec True Power New 750-Antec Sonata Solo case
250gb Seagate SATA drive-300gb Seagate SATA drive
Vista Home Premium 32 bit
 06/21/2009 07:44 PM

Author Icon
simplewizard

I appreciate the responses, and I would like to clear this up. After re-seating the best possible cpu seating I can possibly imagine doing... my avg temps are in the high 40's to low 50's. This should be relativly after the break in period required by AS5. I am not happy to see the lowest temp recorded at absolute idle time was 45 C. These core temps will fly above 60 in no time under stress. HW monitor gives me a room temp of 29C and an idle cpu temp about 8-10C lower than core temp.

CnQ is not on btw.

My cpu idles higher than my xfx 9800gt (with aftermarket cooler) and this thing used to idle in the 70's.

I am interested in getting an aftermarket cooler, and will invest in some decent hardware if necessary to cool this thing down so I can actually appreciate it. My only concern is will this or that fit, with cooling performance being the top priority.

The biostar ta 790gx xe mobo is rather crowded, and the antec 900 has a side fan (which I can take off if necessary), but the ram slots and the northbridge heatsink cripple my shopping efforts when searching for an effective cooler that will easily outperform this stock one by AMD.

I was looking at the Cooler Master Geminii S, but haven't concluded if it will fit or is the optimal choice for this setup. Has anyone here had experience with this cooler or this setup that can offer me some advice? Thanks in advance for your time.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information