WARNING I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OVERCLOCKING PROBLEMS!!!! if you really cant understand this please PM me and ill help ya.
In this guide ill show you how to Overclock(OC) you nvidia gpu, i dont really recomend this if you have less than a Geforce 4. Overclocking can give you alot of performance benifits and its fun too. theres going to be a couple things you need too...........
Ok well to start off your going to need the latest 61.77 drivers and coolbits.reg65 drivers
can be found here: Http://www.guru3d.com
These are whql drivers, but fun none the less. This is what you need if you want better stability.
Coolbits.reg can be found here: http://www.overclockers.com.au/files/CoolBits.reg
Coolbits is a hidden overclocking program found with in the Nvidia forceware drivers, use them at your own risk. The reason you needed the 60.72 betas is because they have alot more options and make your card about 10%(belive it or not) more stable. /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' /> . It is a very simple program that does everything but apply more voltage(power) to the card.
1. Install both coolbits and 61.77 drivers
2. Restart your computer! (do it!, dont just log out, actually restart it)
3. Right click your DESKTOP and select PROPERTIES
4. CLICK on the SETTINGS tab and go to ADVANCED in the bottom right corner of that window.
5. Now click on the GEFORCE tab, it will be the name of your card, in this case Geforce FX 5900.
6. Now you should see a little added whit box that list some thing such as color correction, display settings, etc, if you installed coolbits correctly you will see this windows that allows you to change clock frequencys, CLICK on MANUAL OVERCLOCKING, youll get a disclaimer but if you want to continue click i accept after reading the entire disclaimer.
7. Now you see slider bars and a drop bar right? in the drop bar select 3D PERFORMANCE, and notice the sliders have changed? they are at default settings.
8. Overclocking the CORE CLOCK is somewhat unstable and doesnt reach the frequencys of the MEMORY but just for kicks click on DETECT OPTIMAL SETTINGS!(this is important)!!!! This little progress bar is going to go back and forth for about 5 minutes, your computer is not frozen,SIDE NOTE::::: if you want to make sure its not hit the CAPS LOCK key and if it lights up your computers not frozen.
9. Now that it is done look at what it changed, it could have been alot depending on how well your card is cooled, I RECOMMEND you change thes a little lower since your computer doesnt know what stable means. If you want to, go ahead and change them yourself about 3hmz at a time and for the Memory, 15mhz at a time.
10. These numbers it has listed are pretty close to what you can push your card to. Go ahead and run Aquamark 3 a couple times and see if your computer doesnt mess up or crash, if it does, somethings gone wrong and your going to have to tone it down a bit again
11. If all has gone right, well your good to go! /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' /> /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' /> Fun stuff huh? keep looking at your temps make sure they dont get too high (60C) IF YOU SEE FUNNY RAINBOW COLORS ( EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!
) STOP OCING RIGHT AWAY AND LET YOUR CARD HAVE A REST! if you see those colors, you card maybe totally screwed up, ive seen it happen, you have been warned. Hold CTRL when your computer is booting up to get it back to factory defaults and maybe save an RMA or 2........
Well thats all i wrote ill add some pics in the future as well as some more refrences so stay tuned!
Youre performance in 3D games will be greatly improved and so will the benchmarks, i hope this helped you people with Nvidia cards who want to OC, (sorry ATI guys cant help you, i dont have an ATI /unsure.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='unsure.gif' /> ) but yea Nvidias got some nice drivers coming so keep checking the site and watch out for the NV40!
1. Open your case door, this will get some cold air in your case
2. dont buy 80mm fans, they dont do much unless you have about 4 pointed at the same thing.
3. If your just benchmarking, go get a plugin fan and point it right inside the case, it will drop your tempuratures alot and you can OC more than before
4. Do not overclock too much.
/cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ || Temp Biostar 939 || Sapphire X1800XT 512mb|| 1.5GB OCZ || SB Audigy Platinum eX || 500w 34amps Aspire PSU Klesk