Increase font size
Topic Title: Having Fun With LEDs!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/18/2004 10:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/18/2004 10:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SuperDude

Intro
Everyone is going out and buying these elaborate lighting systems nowadays… but being a man who does everything his way I rather mod my own LEDS into my hardware… and being such a nice guy *[content edited]* I’ve decided to write up a guide to help everyone do what I love to do…

Power Source
LEDS of course need power… the most common power sources in your computer are 5v, 7v, and 12v. your keyboard and mouse and most USB devices run on 5v… it doesn’t matter if it’s PS2 or USB connector it has a 5v+ and a negative or ground wire… 5v is usually the red and the negative or ground can be black or just a bare wire in some cases…

Resistors
Because the LEDS use less power than your supply voltage you must install a resistor to cut down your power to the voltage the LED needs to run with out burning out…luckily japala at metku.net has made an led calculator… you must know the voltage of the LEDS you are using, if you do not know the voltage of your LEDS;
Red and green; 2 volts
Blue and white; 3.5 - 4 volts
Basically brighter LEDS need more voltage…

Where to get LEDS?
I’m putting where to get LEDS before how to use the calculator because most people don’t know where to get LEDS… and a simple answer is LSDiodes. LEDS are very cheap there, $2 flat fee shipping anywhere in the world no matter how many LEDS you order… they also let you know all the information your going to need to calculate the resistor… also they’ll sell you the resistor… they come in orders of 5 so you have extras… just incase

How to use the LED Calculator…
It’s very simple if you know the information about your LEDS… you almost cannot mess up… here’s the information you are going to need;
How are you hooking up the LEDS… single, parallel and series, how are they hooked up, are there more than one.
The supply voltage… this is the voltage you have found on your computer to power the LEDS.
The voltage drop… how much voltage does the LED need to run at it’s brightest
The Desired Current… how bright you want the led to run

For my example I will be using a mod I did to my mouse… a 5mm blue led to light up the scroll wheel
It’s a single LED so I will enter my information needed for that
Supplied voltage 5v
Voltage drop 4.5v
Current 30ma

When I enter that information into the calculator it tells me that I would need a 16.667 Ohm resistor, but they don’t make those so I need to get one close to that… and the nearest resistor is 18Ohm… easy enough

Soldering it all together
Ok now that you have your LEDS and the correct resistors you need to solder them all together… it’s hard to tell which leg is the positive and which is the negative… the postitive is always the longer wire… but once the legs are cut how do you tell… well look

t should help out. Once you solder the resistor to the negative leg and solder your connections to your power source… power up your computer and give it a go…

Hopefully with this guide you start modding your comp like a pro!

Thanks to Crazyxp1700 over at the OCA forums' ">http://www.overclockingaddiction.com

-------------------------
Mobile Athlon XP 2600+
Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0
9800PRO w/ vga silencer
Kingston HyperX pc4000
Antec SuperLanboy w/ 430w
WD 80, SeaGate 160
ATI TV wonder pro
 05/19/2004 10:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ZapWizard

Thanks,

There will be a full how-to from me coming as a new part of the AMD website.

BTW.. best place to purchase LEDs is http://www.LSDiodes.com' ">http://www.LSDiodes.com

Great LEDs and super cheap, I have ordered hundreds from them

-------------------------
' ">http://www.ZapWizard.com
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information