Increase font size
Topic Title: Guide to PowerNow on Desktop PCs
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/16/2004 12:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/16/2004 12:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mcmab

A lot of people find the heat output from their PCs to be a problem. Here's the solution. I did it on Windows 2000 using a mobile Barton on an old GA-7DX Gigabyte motherboard

If you have a mobile AthlonXP (or probably an unlocked desktop part, I don't have one so I can't be sure) you can set up your desktop PC to change its multiplier as processor demand increases. Just like PowerNow on a laptop.

Here's how.

First download and install the PowerNow driver from www.amd.com.

Now go to http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en' ">http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en and download CrystalCPUID. Its a zipfile and freeware.

Extract CrystalCPUID files to a directory and run CrystalCPUID. Play around to get used to it, you can change the multiplier and the core voltage. I use a tool like Taskinfo from www.iarsn.com to watch the processor (also free). You set up multiplier management in CrystalCPUID from the menu. Specify both the voltage and the multiplier for each of three loads (min, mid & max) and the threshold at which each is triggered.

To run CrystalCPUID in the systray use a command line. Mine is CrystalCPUID /P1 /CQ /HIDE /F24

Put this command line in your startup folder for all users.

There, easy! Now the PC will run a low speed and cool most of the time - I have mine set to 800MHz and 1.1v. When the demand increases it goes straight to 2GHz at 1.45v and stays there for at least 5 secs when it drops, first to 1.2GHz and then back to 800MHz.

You can change parameters easily by just clicking on the systray icon which brings up the main dialog.

The CPU temperature is dramatically lower, less than 10'C more than the system temp.

Enjoy!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information