Increase font size
Topic Title: A Guide to Networking: Wired and Wireless
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/26/2005 01:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/26/2005 01:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bvchurch

A guide to networking wired and wireless.

I have decided to write a guide about how to network with both wires and signals, after seeing that this forum had no guide on how to effectively network, thought the resources are available on the internet they are scattered, thus I feel it will be good to collect all the resources I can think of and write my own tutorial on how to network, protect yourself, and have some fun.

Wired Networking
Common items used in wired networking:
Network Interface Card, often built into most newer motherboards, AKA Lan Port
Straight (patch) cable, a basic cat 5/6 cable
Crossover cable (used for hooking up most routers to modems, switches to other switches)
Hub, switches and routers.

First I had a request about Cables, Patch(straight vs Crossover)
A Cat 5 cable has 8 wires in it, a straight cable has each wire going to the corresponding position on each end. A crossover cable will have a change over of 4 cables. Meaning that all the wires will not be in the same place. This does a good diagram of them http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp' ">http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp

A crossover will use one standard at one, 568-A, and then 568B on the other end. A standard patch cable will have both ends using 568 B or A, I use the B standard more

Creating a network between two or more computers using only cables.
Well for this style of networking you need to have crossover cables and network interface cards (a computer of course) and that’s pretty much it.
A) Cable setup is easy, just plug in an end of the cable into the other computer.

/cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' /> Windows setup requires that you go into control panel, and choose Network connections or network adapters. Double click on the network adapter, and finally scroll down the list of protocols it uses and choose Internet Protocol TCP/IP and choose properties. In that change Obtain IP automatically to assign your own. You want each computer to use a different IP, and you want to use one an IP address beginning with 192.168.XXX.XXX or 10.1.XXX.XXX, there are other possibilities, but these two class b address work the best.

Example:
Computer 1 will have an IP address of 192.168.0.1
Computer 2 will use IP address 192.168.0.2

C) Next you need to change your workgroup, in windows XP you go to control panel, system, choose the Computer name Icon, click change and you will see workgroup towards the bottom. I recommend using something personalized, not MSHOME or WORKGROUP, but something such as FAMWKGP.

D) Configure any firewall that you have installed on your computer to allow network users to view my files.

The Application of this form of network: basic file sharing PC to PC. You can share internet via windows internet connection sharing, something to which I will answer eventually on how to do.

Creating a network between two or more computers using a hub or switch with no router
For this network you use patch cables, a hub or switch, and network interface cards.

A) Cable setup requires you to plug a patch cable from computer 1 into a port on the switch/hub and a cable from computer 2 must plugged into a port on the switch/hub. Use the ports that say Ethernet, do not plug into a WAN/Uplink port.

/cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' /> Windows setup requires that you go into control panel, and choose Network connections or network adapters. Double click on the network adapter, and finally scroll down the list of protocols it uses and choose Internet Protocol TCP/IP and choose properties. In that change Obtain IP automatically to assign your own. You want each computer to use a different IP, and you want to use one an IP address beginning with 192.168.XXX.XXX or 10.1.XXX.XXX, there are other possibilities, but these two class b address work the best.

Example:
Computer 1 will have an IP address of 192.168.0.1
Computer 2 will use IP address 192.168.0.2

C) Next you need to change your workgroup, in windows XP you go to control panel, system, choose the Computer name Icon, click change and you will see workgroup towards the bottom. I recommend using something personalized, not MSHOME or WORKGROUP, but something such as FAMWKGP.

D) Configure any firewall that you have installed on your computer to allow network users to view my files.

The Application of this form of network: basic file sharing PC to PC. You can share internet via windows internet connection sharing, something to which I will answer eventually on how to do.

Creating a network between two or more computers using a router
This is the easiest setup out all of the 3 main ways of creating a network between computers. You need patch cables, a router, and network interface cards

A) Cable setup requires you to plug a patch cable from computer 1 into a port on the router and a cable from computer 2 must plugged into a port on the router. Use the ports that say Ethernet, do not plug into a WAN/Uplink port.

/cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' /> The router will have a DHCP server built into it, meaning that it will assign each computer an IP address, so you don’t have to change the windows default setting.

C) You do need to change the workgroup, in windows XP you go to control panel, system, choose the Computer name Icon, click change and you will see workgroup towards the bottom. I recommend using something personalized, not MSHOME or WORKGROUP, but something such as FAMWKGP.

D) Configure any firewall that you have installed on your computer to allow network users to view my files. The router doesn’t need to be configured.

Creating a network with multiple Hubs or switches
You are going to follow the same cabling instructions and windows instructions in the above section, but instead you will need to hook the two switches together, from one basic Ethernet port to the second switches Uplink port (most switches/hubs just have a regular port). Some switches require you to hook the two together via a crossover cable, you can find out about this by contacting your switch/hub company, reading the manual, or reading articles on line.

Creating a network with multiple routers
Follow the router article above, but once again to connect router to router you take a crossover cable and plug it in to a regular port on router one, but when connecting to router two you must hook the cable into the WAN/interent port. You also need to access the router’s web interface and make sure that router two is set to receive like a cable connection (DHCP) so that router two accepts an IP from router 1.

Sharing the internet

Sharing the internet with a switch
If you already have a modem/router you just plug from the modem/router into the Switch with a crossover or patch cable, once again it depends on the switch itself.

Sharing the internet with a router
If you have a router/modem combo your setup is fairly simple, just plug in all the correct modem cords and then just plug in a patch cable from router to pc. Usually the included software cd does a good job installing the router/modem.
If you have a router for and a basic modem, like a cable modem or a dsl modem (the frame relay fujitsus), then you need to setup your router so that the data port on the modem goes to the WAN/internet port on the router. Most require a crossover cable, but there are some that need only a patch cable. Patch cables then need to go from router to PC. Software setup requires you to choose how to login to your internet service, most require PPPoE, but there are companies who require different protocols, check with your ISP.

Networking without wires-Wireless
First look here for the description of the Wireless standards
An About.com guide' ">http://compnetworking.about.co.../a/aa80211standard.htm
So basically each computer you want a wireless network on needs to have a wireless card, either: A B or G, most cards that are g standard are also b.

I’ll just go through some basics on wireless.

Is it possible to create a computer to computer wireless network with no router?
Simple answer yes, you need to follow the directions above to create a workgroup and an IP to have it work the best, will I guarantee it will work, no! But have I seen it working, yes, a lot of superstores, CompUSA, Officemax, etc do use this form of computer to computer networking.

A wireless network built with a wireless Access Point/bridge.
Well the setup for this is plugging a wireless AP/Bridge into either a switch (already hooked into a router) or a standard wired router, some may require a crossover cable, others may not. The original router will give out an IP, and you can setup a workgroup with the steps above. Most APs should allow you to assign keys, SSIDs etc.

Setting up a wireless router
Once again this is an easy setup, follow most of the steps of using a wired router but you will just need to setup your SSID, and security features. I recommend using WPA-TKS or WPA-AES security encryption, as this is the hardest wireless security code to break. WEP has become to vulnerable in my estimation.

Now once you have an SSID, I would choose to hide that SSID, or not broadcast, I recommend also using a mac list.

Good luck with all the setup.

Remember to successfully share files you need to be in the same workgroup, and you need to make sure that you have your firewall configured.

If you need any more help send me a pm.

bvchurch

Now some enhancements:
How to share a folder, drive etc, right click on the drive, sharing and security, and choose the name to share it as.
If you have a DSL or cable modem you may need to set it up so that it is in Bridge mode, meaning that the login for internet service is no longer handled by the modem/router combo, but handled by the second router.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information