Increase font size
Topic Title: So You Want To Run A Webspace From Home
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/18/2006 02:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/18/2006 02:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
D22_2003

So You want to host your own website.

On a side note roughly 60% of canadian and US ISP's do not like or allow you to run your own webspace server so confirm with your ISP before continuing, you will not get in trouble for running one but they will A: shut it down, B: Give you a call, C: Change the ports required to run your webserv

(!!!!****NOTE ABOUT THIS GUIDE****!!!!

This was done before I had purchased a router, setup with a router will be different and involve opening ports I believe

To Start
you will need phptriad found here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p..._id=75430"

Next you will need to find out if you have a dynamic or a static IP address, to do so, go to ---> www.whatismyip.net , find out your current IP address, then unplug your modem for about 5minutes. After pluging it back in, log into windows and click repair connection and check your IP at www.whatismyip.net again, if it has not changed you probably have a dynamic IP address, (there is not much of a difference in setting this up for a static or dynamic IP address)

Next - go to http://www.dyndns.com/
and register, you must use an e-mail address that you can acess otherwise your Dyndns account will not be activated.

Ok now assuming you've got the e-mail from dyndns and activated your account,. proceed to log in to your account at http://www.dyndns.com/ after loging in click on my services in the left panel,

click add Host Service.

Now here is where it can get tricky, I will not go into to much detail but I will show you the process for static along with screenshots as we go. starting with static, click add static host, then fill in what you wish your webadress to be. (for safety and security reasons my ip has been blacked out)

static and dynamic setup appear to be both the same so this should apply to dynamic ip setup as well. continuing on with static though in the screenshot see my hostname?

d22serv.game-host.org (yours will not be the same of course) remember what your hostname is,. that it what you will put in to open your page and make sure everything has been installed properly.

now moving onto the setup of phptriad, install phptriad. now that phptriad is installed click start apache,

now type in your favorite browser your host name,

Congratulations, continue onto the next part.

Setting apache to run on boot look in "C:\apache" for a file called controlpanel.bat and doubleclick it, it should open a new window where you can adjust settings - see screenshot,

Now if you want a 24/7 server or a server that you can set and forget (click install apache as a service) now whenever you boot your computer apache will start itself.

Continuing on to editting and setting up your server.

Your index file and all concurent .html files for your website will be place in "C:\apache\htdocs" and linked together using simple html code, see screenshots for index and test.html

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4111/test21eq.jpg

Congratulations on setting up your own personal webspace

On a final side note my server has since been taken down I have only revived it temporarilly to get screenshots for this guide, so attempting to browse around my webspace is useless until further notice /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" />

~D~

-------------------------
Main PC = AMD Athlon XP 1800+, Thermaltake Volcano 12, FIC AM37 Motherboard, ATI Radeon X1300Pro 256Mb, 640Mb RAM, 400watt ACEPower Dual Fan PSU, On board NIC, WD 40Gb & WD 250Gb<br><br>Second PC = AMD X2 4200+ AM2, 2048mb ram, WD250GB SATA, ATI Radeon X2900XT, Samsung 19in Widescreen LCD 5ms 3000:1 contrast / native resolution 1440x900
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information