Increase font size
Topic Title: Activating Cool n' Quiet in Windows XP
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/29/2008 09:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/29/2008 09:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Superhal
Overclocker

This article describes the Bios and Windows XP settings needed to activate the Cool n' Quiet feature on AMD chips.

IMPORTANT NOTE!: If you are having overheating issues, Cool n' Quiet will not solve the problem. Please refer to this article if you are experiencing lockups or emergency shutdowns, or this article if your computer won't even boot.

Step 1: Get the latest CnQ drivers from the AMD website.
If you are using a Phenom chip, the software is here: www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/AMD_Processor_Driver_1320053.zip

If you are not using a Phenom, the correct driver can be located here:
www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182,00.html

Step 2: Enable software control of voltage in BIOS
After you have installed the latest processor drivers from AMD get into BIOS and allow software to make changes to hardware.

First, reboot, and get into BIOS by pressing "delete" after the screen that shows your graphics card information.

Then, find the option to "enable" Cool n' Quiet technology in your BIOS. In mine, (American Megatrends Inc, included with Asus boards,) it is under "Advanced" -> "CPU Configuration":

Then, locate the ACPI controls, and set this to "enable." For more information about ACPI, read this article.

Note: Do not confuse ACPI with AHCI! AHCI is what activates SATA harddrive support in your BIOS!

Save and exit BIOS.

Step 3: Turn on Cool n' Quiet in Windows.
In Windows, locate "Display Properties." In Windows XP, you can right-click on the desktop and choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu. Go to "Screen Saver."

Click on "Power," and select "Minimal Power Management," "Portable/Laptop," or "Max Battery." Any of them will activate Cool n' Quiet. Note: Conversely, doing the same process but selecting "Home/Office Desk" will deactivate Cool n' Quiet.

Step 4: Check that Cool n' Quiet is working
For this step, you need several different programs, because not all programs will measure voltage and temperature accurately. Here are the programs I use:

Nvidia's Nvmonitor: For my graphics card, this program measures GPU temperature accurately, and allows me to eliminate that from temperature readings. Note that the GPU temperature is not affected by CnQ.

Asus' Pc Probe II: This program allows me to identify TJunctionMax, and verify voltages.

Core Temp: This program is the standard for identifying TCaseMax temperature, but it is limited in other functions.

SpeedFan: This program does everything, but it does not label temperatures correctly, so I have to cross-reference it with the other 4 programs above.

AMD's CPUInfo: This program measures CPU speed. When CnQ reduces the voltage, it keeps the system stable by also reducing the performance of multiple cores by half. When needed, all CPUs will go to maximum speed. Note that when you change the CnQ setting, you have to close and re-open CPUInfo to get a new reading.

Here's all 4 programs in action with CnQ off:

Here's all 4 programs with CnQ on:

Notice several things:
1. Voltage changed from 1.14 to 1.06v.
2. Core temperature dropped 5C.
3. GPU temperature remained the same.
4. Some voltages remained the same.
5. 3 of my 4 cores dropped from 2400 mhz to 1200 mhz.

And that's it!

-------------------------

9750 X4 // 8600 GT // PC-6400 DDR2 800 mhz 1gig X 2 // WD 500 GB SATA HD // 580w PSU // Core Contact Freezer w/ IC Diamond 7 // DVD-RW // Win XP 32 bit // CPU-Z Validation #420180
 08/29/2008 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Superhal
Overclocker

Ug. You have to press the little arrow in NvMonitor to get the GPU temperature reading. The GPU temperature can be seen in SpeedFan as the 2nd "Core" reading.

9750 X4 // 8600 GT // PC-6400 DDR2 800 mhz 1gig X 2 // WD 500 GB SATA HD // 580w PSU // Core Contact Freezer w/ IC Diamond 7 // DVD-RW // Win XP 32 bit // CPU-Z Validation #420180
 08/29/2008 09:39 PM

Author Icon
Superhal
Overclocker

Here's an article for Vista: http://www.vista4beginners.com/power-management

09/24/2008 05:42 AM

Author Icon
Superhal
Overclocker

Update:

CnQ will work with an overclock, but should not be activated until the adjustments are completed.

If overclocked, AMD CpuInfo will not identify speeds correctly.

04/11/2009 01:22 PM

Author Icon

Hey,
What does this "Cool n' Quiet" function actually do?
I mean since it isn't enabled as default. What is the downside?

- Will
 06/02/2009 06:41 AM

Author Icon
astrogreek

I offered a friend to install Cool'n'Quiet on her laptop, as I noticed it was quite noisy and hot. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from AMD, rebooted, went into the BIOS and looked for the Cool'n'Quiet option (which did not seem to be there). Then disaster: it locked up, then shutdown. Another reboot, but it shutdown almost immediately, before even getting into the BIOS. At this point I was starting to sweat as I feared I had bricked my friends laptop. I left it to cool for 25 minutes, rebooted, - F8 - selected "Last known good configuration" to undo the changes, and presto; the laptop has been running fine for one hour so far. I don't know what went wrong. It seems it was related to overheating, but I don't know why it would shutdown immediately after rebooting after installing the new drivers. Perhaps it needs a BIOS update? Anyway, I will not mess with it any more as long as the PC works.
 10/01/2009 03:06 PM

Author Icon
Cor'e =)

Why not use AMD's Power monitor??? Why use all those 3rd party half-good apps?
 10/08/2010 08:57 PM

Author Icon
Superhal
Overclocker

What does this "Cool n' Quiet" function actually do?
I mean since it isn't enabled as default. What is the downside?

>>Try reading the article.

Why not use AMD's Power monitor??? Why use all those 3rd party half-good apps?

>> See above.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information