AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Planning on buying 125W 9950 BE; will there be a faster processor than 2.6ghz anytime soon?
Topic Summary: I might delay my purchase for a 2.8ghz quad-core if it is on the market in the next 3 months.
Created On: 11/04/2008 04:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/10/2008 02:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Liqourice
Case Modder

Originally posted by: Xajel

I know the AMD case is becoming worse, Phenom can't even compete with C2Q and Intel is preparing Ci7 too very soon

This is simply not true. What IS true is that the top of the line intel beats the top of the line AMD but compare CPU's at the same price range and they can definately compete. I hope you're not judging by SuperPI like so many others do...

Benchmarks are just benchmarks and nothing else, they don't give the whole truth.

Here's an example.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews...atom-nano-review.ars/6

-------------------------
Main Rig:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower : Corsair 750HX Modular PSU : Asus Crosshair III Formula : Phenom II X4 965 125W
Corsair H-50 CPU Cooler : Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20-1T 2x2GB : WD Caviar Black 32MB 640GB : Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X
HTPC:
Antec Fusion Remote Black : ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO : Athlon II X2 240e : Crucial BallistiX 1600 2GB x2
Corsair 400W : Sapphire Radeon HD6850 : Lite-On iHBS112 BD-Burner : WD Caviar Green 500 GB
 11/10/2008 02:54 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Liqorice, you read my mind. I was actually reading that review early this morning and was going to post it later. With AMD and the new Foundry Company, if they can get their fabs upgraded and get new ones on the go, the future will be much brighter.

Heck, ATI being able to represent themselves by making their own chips at technically their own fabs will definitely be a step up over nVidia and since they have the know how on all levels, a step up over Intel.

On the CPU front, that means they can carry product longer, transition faster and smoother and be able to produce more, and more variety. Looks at the 65nm transition. 90nm pretty much died then. Even if AMD wanted to release more socket 939 parts and AM2 parts at the same time, it was technically not feasible for them at that time.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 11/10/2008 03:20 PM

Author Icon
Xajel
Case Modder

Liqourice, I never said C2D beats AMD in every thing, I meant the general view of the competition + the regular user, in most benchs C2D beats AX2 not to mention the better thermal and power and overclockability, if you take for example two identical clocked CPU's from both AMD and Intel you may see some different in price, but in general you will have better performance with C2D + lower power and better overclockability, let's face it about the last, when was the last time AMD did a better CPU than Intel in overclocking area ?

and about SuperPI, I don't believe in such test's, in another forum I was close to sparck a fight duo to some guys say ( that GPU is better in Crysis, so it's better that that GPU !! ) I don't believe in a single realworld bench so you can get my opinion about some not-realworld benchs too, my judgement always for some wide used realworld applications in varity of uses, and I amy give another judgement too if the user have specific requirements too as some products ( CPU's or GPU's ) may don't look that good in general but they look awesome in limited or specific area too...
 11/10/2008 06:24 PM

Author Icon
Liqourice
Case Modder

I'm well aware that Intel makes faster CPU's right now and have done for some time. However, it's not that long ago that the opposite were true. I'm just saying that for most of us it doesn't matter if Intel makes the best model since it's generally to expensive anyway and it's only the really hardcore users and overcklocking fans that buy them. For the rest of us, a huge majority, we should compare the cpu's in the same pricerange and there it's not so clear that Intels are faster.

I don't defend AMD to the bitter end, I just want the discussion to be about real world performance and what's true for most of us.

Main Rig:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower : Corsair 750HX Modular PSU : Asus Crosshair III Formula : Phenom II X4 965 125W
Corsair H-50 CPU Cooler : Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20-1T 2x2GB : WD Caviar Black 32MB 640GB : Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X
HTPC:
Antec Fusion Remote Black : ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO : Athlon II X2 240e : Crucial BallistiX 1600 2GB x2
Corsair 400W : Sapphire Radeon HD6850 : Lite-On iHBS112 BD-Burner : WD Caviar Green 500 GB
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information