Increase font size
Topic Title: RAID 1 rebuild on SB700
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/01/2009 01:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/01/2009 01:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dtzy

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (SB700, I suppose), was running on RAID 1, until 1 1TG HDD failed.

I cannot find anyway to rebuild it with a new working HDD.

Anyone can help to get my RAID 1 back?

I am running on Vista

Thank.

-------------------------
http://www.amd.com
 01/02/2009 11:13 AM

Author Icon
dtzy

someone help me pls, before the master HDD is bad

01/02/2009 06:38 PM

Author Icon
bnborg
Driod

Are you sure the drive is bad? Did you run the manufacturer's diagnoctics on it?

If the drive is verified as bad you can ignore this but I have not been able to get RAID 1 working reliably on my GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1). It seems to work at first, but eventually there will be a data corruption problem. The problem usually appears with a system database file, and can cause BSOD's that point to hardware or driver error. This is where I switch the bios to AHCI mode and re-mirror the drives using the Windows Server software (Disk Manager).

On other motherboards, the BIOS RAID utility sometimes shows the failed mirror as two separate mirrors, both failed and with one drive. In this case, you need to delete one of them. This frees up the drive and then you can go to the other mirror, select rebuild, and add the now free drive.

In nVidia BIOS, you would have to delete both failed arrays and re-define a new one. But at least nVidia fast initialization lets you do that without destroying the partition table and boot sectors. This lets you rebuild and retain the data.

Two each: Phenom II x6 1090T on MSI 870A-G-54 with 16 GB DDR3 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

Two each: Asroch E350M1 with 8 GB DDR2

Athlon II x4 630 on Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 with 16 GB DDR3 and Windows 7 x64
 01/17/2009 02:12 AM

Author Icon
dtzy

The HDD is bad, I send to the distributor, they cannot get it rebooted also.

Now I am use RAIDxpert to rebuild.

02/08/2009 02:25 PM

Author Icon
bnborg
Driod

How did the rebuild go? Have you had any problems with it since then?

Two each: Phenom II x6 1090T on MSI 870A-G-54 with 16 GB DDR3 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

Two each: Asroch E350M1 with 8 GB DDR2

Athlon II x4 630 on Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 with 16 GB DDR3 and Windows 7 x64
 02/09/2009 02:46 PM

Author Icon
anglik666

@dtzy
How did u rebuild urs RAID ? Any problems ?

#1 - MSI DKA790GX, Phenom II 940BE, 4x1GB Kingston 1066, Sapphire HD 4870 512MB, SB X-F1, 3x WDC SE16 500GB, OCZ 650w
#2 - GA-MA790X-DS4, Phenom X4 9750, 2x 1GB Kingston 533, Sapphire HD 3870 512MB, 1x IBM 160GB, OCZ 650w
 02/09/2009 06:45 PM

Author Icon
Linux Ninja

Originally posted by: bnborg

How did the rebuild go? Have you had any problems with it since then?

HAHAAH! bnborg! your picture is ACE!

gotta love those cats!
 06/26/2009 03:57 PM

Author Icon
jetcaptain

AMD SB700 ...... RAID1
AsRock A780GXE/128M
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor 4GB of memory
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB hard drives

1. The following information assumes you installed the RAIDXpert utility on your system.

2. Replace the failed (or a good drive) with an identical hard drive that you wish to mirror into the RAID1 ....... and boot up

3. The SB700 will automatically detect the good drive and boot normally displaying a blue "Critical" warning during the RAID BIOS boot ...... which you can ignore.

4. If the replacement drive is unformatted or it was previously paired with the same RAID1 it will be recognized by the SB700 RAID controller as a "FREE" drive .... and the system will automatically start to rebuild the RAID1 in the background.

5. If the drive is formatted but not recognized by the SB700 it will show JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Drives) and you must delete the drive to "FREE" it up. During the BIOS "Critical" warning touch Control+F to activate the BIOS RAID utility and then select [3] to delete the JBOD drive so it becomes a "FREE" drive ...... just be sure to select the proper drive.

6. After Windows is up ....... start the RAIDXpert utility and you'll find the rebuild started automatically .... a little poking around in the RAIDXpert utility will provide a display of the rebuild progress ....... you need not stay in the utility as the rebuilding is taking place in the background.

7. If you need to reboot it is not a problem as the rebuilding will resume where it left off, however, on boot up the RAID will continue to display the "Critical" message until the rebuild is complete .... just ignore and go about your business.

8. And that is about it ..... my rebuild rate is 5.747gb/minute or 87 minutes for my 500 GB drives .... a simple process once you understand the terminology and the process ......... extremely difficult when the documentation is so lousy as we have all discovered.

jetcaptain
 06/28/2009 04:50 AM

Author Icon
aklrobin

Hi jetcaptain, Does this work also on SB750?

I have Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H

I have a pair of Seagate 500GB with 2 RAIDs on them. I had 150GB of RAID 0 with Vista 32bit installed on it, and rest on RAID 1.

The RAID 1 suddenly became critical during boot up. I went into the RAID BIOS, and one of the RAID 1 disk is flashing free. The RAID 0 is fine.

I now can't boot up, after the blue flashing critical warning, the system just doesn't conitue to boot. The system RAID 0 is OK though.

Is there a way to rebuild the RAID 1 from RAID BIOS? Since part of my drive has the system RAID 0 on it, I really don't want to format it and lose my old OS.
 06/29/2009 10:07 AM

Author Icon
loboracing

I would recommend using seperate physical drives for a raid 0 and a raid 1 array.
 08/01/2009 12:45 AM

Author Icon
bert_rodriguez

Basically, if you already have the RAID 1 array, just plug the d*** drive in! LOL

I was looking all over the place on how to do this, and never found anything. Well, I was in windows with disk 1 of the array, plugged in disk 2 (that I formatted to simulate a replacement drive), and all of a sudden, I get a notification up at the top right hand corner of my screen saying that rebuilding has started on the "failed" drive. 2hrs & 20mins later, I got another notification that the rebuilding process had completed on the other 500GB hdd.

How to easily construct a RAID 1 from single drive without data loss:

1. Set Southbridge configuration/HDD configuration to RAID in BIOS. *Make sure you already have your raid drivers installed, or windows will not boot up (XP), and you'll get a blue screen.
2. Enter RAID bios (Ctl + F)
3. Define Array (should be 2)
4. Make sure that "Fast Init" is NOT selected. *If you did, it will give you a warning about wiping out the MBR, which it WILL if you proceed.
5. Select Y on both disks to make sure it's added to the array.
6. Save configuration, and exit. It will say something like "reboot? y - yes"
7. Y for yes and disconnect the sata cable from the 2nd HDD upon shutdown/restart. *I didn't and got a blue-screen on the XP Splash screen
8. You'll get the notification that your array is "critical". Ignore the message, and you should continue to boot to windows.
9. When you get into windows, connect the sata cable, and you should get the notification up at the top right saying the rebuilding process has started *If you have RaidXpert installed. If not, download it, install it, and you can see the percentage of the rebuild process. *Also, it will still give the message that your array is critical when your machine is posting, but it will now say "rebuilding" with it.

I researched the "Fast Init" and apparently, there were some people who tested a raid 5 with and without it. Without it, they said their s**t ran really slow. And with it, it ran like it should have. However, in this RAID 1 situation, I created another RAID 1 array WITH it and cloned the original array over to the new one that I HAD selected "Fast Init". I can't tell the difference between the two at all. I timed how long windows took to startup and log into my profile. Don't remember what the difference was, but it was negligible. Maybe some difference in speed on a RAID 5, but not (if any) on a RAID 1.

AYFS?!!!

Edited: 08/01/2009 at 12:52 AM by bert_rodriguez
 08/01/2009 12:57 AM

Author Icon
bert_rodriguez

Playing around with it (since I got a clone mirror of it), I deleted the array, got the message that all data was going to be lost, ignored it, and used the steps I described to successfully rebuild it.

Basically, my original intent was to figure out how to construct the RAID 1 from just one drive, and I did it. Go me. yay...

AYFS?!!!
 08/01/2009 01:16 AM

Author Icon
bert_rodriguez

Originally posted by: aklrobinIs there a way to rebuild the RAID 1 from RAID BIOS? Since part of my drive has the system RAID 0 on it, I really don't want to format it and lose my old OS.

You might try unplugging the sata cable on one of your drives and seeing if you can still boot, since you said you had it partitioned for a RAID 1 to hold your OS. If so, and if you can, boot into windows, and plug the sata cable back into the one that you disconnected. See if the same thing happens to you as it did to me.

Originally posted by: loboracing

I would recommend using seperate physical drives for a raid 0 and a raid 1 array.

I second that.

AYFS?!!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information