AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What is SVM(Secure Virutal Machine Mode) in Bios? What happens if it is disabled?
Topic Summary: I noticed the command line in bios and if it is vital...
Created On: 02/12/2009 09:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2009 09:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MRCS_1969
Fanboi

I noticed the command line "SVM" (Secure Virtual Machine Mode) in bios; it is currently enabled under cpu feature; what happens if this is diasabled; is it vital to the proper running of your pc? Or can it be disabled without any problems arising?
 02/12/2009 09:53 PM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

Unless you're using a virtual machine (Microsoft's Virtual PC, VMWare & stuff) - No, you don't need it . The way I get it, from the scarce info I found, its main purpose is to parse the CPU resources in a better way when building a virtual environment. Otherwise, in a standard environment, it shouldn't have any impact whatsoever.
 02/13/2009 01:38 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

If you use virtualization, keep it on.
You can keep it on anyway since it doesn't affect anything.

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 02/13/2009 01:57 AM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

What is SVM(Secure Virutal Machine Mode) in Bios? What happens if it is disabled?

As already mentioned, its to do with virtualisation, if you use virtualisation its best to leave it enabled..!!

The 2nd part of your question... easy answer, absolutely nothing happens if it is disabled..!!

The way I set up my BIOS is if I don't use something, and its not needed by the system then I disable it..!!

Serial Port, Firewire, Secondary Storage Controller, Virtualisation, AMD Live!, ASUS Express Gate, etc, etc.... All disabled with me...!!

If I ever wanted to add a firewire device its no trouble to enter the BIOS and re-enable the setting, same thing with Virtualisatin, if you decide you want to try it at a later date, you can just enable it in the BIOS again...!!!

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide
 02/13/2009 02:01 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Effect found: if disabled you cannot install a virtual x64 OS inside an OS x86 (32-bit).

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 07/18/2010 11:53 AM

Author Icon
Stamatommy

Originally posted by: Overmind

Effect found: if disabled you cannot install a virtual x64 OS inside an OS x86 (32-bit).

So that might be why I am not seeing much if any performance boost since going to this way better mobo and ddr3. SVM is disabled by default on my Asus M4A79XTD EVO.
I will enable and redo windows later today. Or maybe after a quick smoke
How does an Asrock A785GM-LE/128M with 4gb ddr2 800, cheap case and ps, bench the same as my DDR3 gear ? lol

07/19/2010 03:25 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

DDR2 = DDR3 + some power savings.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information