Increase font size
Topic Title: BIOS Beep Codes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/14/2009 05:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/14/2009 05:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SH
Overclocker

I've got an ASUS M3A motherboard. When I press the power button, it beeps after 3 seconds, begins POST, and beeps when POST finishes. Then it loads Windows. Is this OK? or is the last beep an error code?
 03/14/2009 05:51 PM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Hmm I'm just wondering about the sequence of the beeps you mention...

Normally you get a beep when its completed POST successfully, not usually a beep before the POST...!!

Have you got ASUS ExpressGate enabled, but not installed the corresponding software.... if you don't use ExpressGate then disable it in the BIOS to see if it stops the 1st beep...

I think IIRC that I used to have a beep before POST if I had ExpressGate enabled, not sure its been a while since I've had it disabled..!!

-------------------------

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide
 03/14/2009 06:14 PM

Author Icon
SH
Overclocker

Nope, my mobo doesn't have ExpressGate. The monitor powers up just after the 1st beep. I'm pretty sure it indicates POST has begun. Now I remember another PC with the same mobo only beeped the 1st time (as mine), but not the second one.
 03/14/2009 11:21 PM

Author Icon
anonzzz

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Asus Mobo use AMI BIOS. Perhaps you can check the memory module / memory at video card.
 03/15/2009 10:26 AM

Author Icon
SH
Overclocker

I get no error code on screen. I seriously doubt it is a problem, but when are beeps counted as error codes and when are they considered normal post beeps? Wikipedia tells 2 beeps indicate "Parity error in the first 64KiB of RAM", whilst 1 beep indicates power on self test successful, so if it was an error code, then I would be hearing too beeps when POST ends, not when it starts and when it finishes...
 03/15/2009 10:39 AM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Originally posted by: SH

I get no error code on screen. I seriously doubt it is a problem, but when are beeps counted as error codes and when are they considered normal post beeps? Wikipedia tells 2 beeps indicate "Parity error in the first 64KiB of RAM", whilst 1 beep indicates power on self test successful, so if it was an error code, then I would be hearing too beeps when POST ends, not when it starts and when it finishes...

Yes thats what I said, its odd that your getting the pre-post beep, not sure what that is about....

But as long as your POST'ing and booting successfully then I wouldn't worry about it too much.... maybe just an odd anomaly..

Only other thing I can think of which might apply, is if your using water-cooling or a HSF that hasn't got a sense rpm wire... and you have CPU Fan Warning speed set in the BIOS, and its giving a beep as its not detecting a fan speed.... if thats the case try disabling that setting in the BIOS...

But otherwise it sounds like its just one of those little nuances that can bug you from time to time...

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide
 03/15/2009 11:01 AM

Author Icon
SH
Overclocker

It's not the fan since it has that 4th wire.
Oh well, as you said, I will pretend it is normal (no problems so far) as it doesn't bother me. I was just curious about it.
Thanx for your help.
 03/15/2009 11:14 AM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Just had another thought as well.... it might be doing a beep during the POST sequence to say that there's a problem with a particular bit of hardware.... so 2 beeps normally indicates Memory related problem, now during POST it does a Memory check... so given that in total you are getting 2 beeps then it may be something to do with a memory problem of some kind...

How much RAM do you have installed and is it all detected in Windows.... check in Task Manager (Physical Memory Total) just wondering if maybe its something to do with that ..!!

I have a list of POST codes in my troubleshooting guide, link is in my sig, just for future reference..

03/15/2009 11:55 AM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

I get no error code on screen

If it's a memory check fail you won't necessarily get error messages. Now, I've never had AMI BIOSes, but I had vocal POST report on one of my systems and it was reporting "POST memory test fail" from time to time, without any other error messages. And windows was loading normally afterward. It's not a fatal error but may occasionally result in unexpected crashes or restarts.

I usually refer to this page for BIOS beep codes and it says one short beep may also indicate DRAM refresh failure.

As they warn, though, these beep codes may vary depending on motherboard/PC manufacturer. So, if you don't have any other problems, it may mean what you were saying. Just mentioned all this, so that you have it in mind, if you were ever to witness your system behaving abnormally.
 03/15/2009 12:41 PM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Originally posted by: Heffy

I get no error code on screen

If it's a memory check fail you won't necessarily get error messages. Now, I've never had AMI BIOSes, but I had vocal POST report on one of my systems and it was reporting "POST memory test fail" from time to time, without any other error messages. And windows was loading normally afterward. It's not a fatal error but may occasionally result in unexpected crashes or restarts.

one short beep may also indicate DRAM refresh failure.

Thats the type of thing I was thinking of.... if the Memory check done as part of the POST is beeping to indicate a non-fatal error, continuing to complete POST and then booting.... but the beep might be indicative of an underlying Memory issue...

Maybe if one of the secondary memory banks has a problem for example, but the 1st bank is still OK, so the system continues to POST and boot..

Wondered then if maybe not all the of the installed RAM was being detected/used, hence checking that Windows is reporting all the installed RAM... just one of a number of possibilities..!!

03/15/2009 02:38 PM

Author Icon
monte84
Elite

two owrds....owners manual......They usually have this information in there and if you dont have it, it is on ASUS's website conveniently enough.

Phenom II X 1055T @3.64Ghz 1.425V
NB @ 2800Mhz HTT @ 2800Mhz
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 1866 8-8-8-24-33-1T
AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB GDDR5 shaders @1536 OC to 840/1300
 03/15/2009 03:06 PM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Originally posted by: monte84

two owrds....owners manual......They usually have this information in there and if you dont have it, it is on ASUS's website conveniently enough.

I know my manual inside and out...

The BIOS beep codes they give are limited to basic information.

JUst the usual ones of No Keyboard, No RAM, No VGA, Hardware failure

nothing more specific..!!

The keyboard one is relevant here though as that is a single beep as well, so if you have a keyboard connected via a KVM switch or a USB hub for example I know that it sometimes fails to be detected... I forgot about that...

I used to have my KB connected via a KVM switch and sometimes it would be detected and I'd have to connect a spare P/S2 KB I've got to be able to enter the BIOS... (I didn't want to have to get down under the desk to disconnect and re-connect the USB KB from the KVM switch...)

So that's another possibility for the mysterious beep....

03/15/2009 04:34 PM

Author Icon
SH
Overclocker

RAM is detected OK, 2GB dual channel (2 sticks) in Windows. I'm planning on getting 2 more GB...
Anyway, should I run memtest or something like that?
The users manual hasn't got information on this.
However, if the last beep indicates a successful POST, then the 1st one can't be an error code...
As I said, the 1st one is heard right before the screen turns on (graphics card turns on).
Keyboard is connected through keyboard connector (purple one), and is detected OK.
 03/16/2009 02:24 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Isn't there any strange message like keyboard error, pointing device error, system date reset or something similar ?

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 03/16/2009 03:05 AM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

hmm my GB board gives three faint beeps followed by the normal beep indicating a normal post and does the thing that every board does, it boots

I emailed gb and the response was the best response that I ever had

"it beeps like that because we made it to beep like that when turning on the pc"
 03/16/2009 04:56 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Nice answer. lol

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 03/16/2009 06:14 AM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Well I havn't said so before, but I actually hate the BIOS beep thing, so after my PC's case speaker broke, I hanv't had to endure any of the beepings.... and I don;t let it bother me at all... if it POSTS and boots OK, with no error messages, then I'm happy when it fails to POST, I do a CLR CMOS and reset my BIOS settings and then re-start...

So no beeps at all here...LOL..!!

Just can't be bothered to fix the loose cable of the case speaker... wrapped some insulating tape around it to stop any shorts and left it as it is...!!

03/16/2009 09:17 AM

Author Icon
Zodgrod009
Overclocker

The ECS AM2+ board I had before my Asus board had a cool bios beep.
It sounded like robot language or something like that.
The one loud annoying beep is a pain.

AMD 940 PH2 BE @ 3.7 Ghz ArcticFreezer 64 pro
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
Patriot 4GB pc8500 DDR2 1066@5-5-5-15
Antec Quattro 850 Watt PSU
Asus 5770 1GB DDR5 850/1200
Sound blaster Audigy. w/2.1 surround Logitech speakers
Antec 900 case w/4 120mm fans 1 200mm fan
 04/06/2009 02:56 PM

Author Icon
tdolan

I've just installed an ECS AM2+ board and it appears to beep according to how many USB devices you have plugged in. I have 5 USB devices plugged in and I get 5 beeps. If I unplug an item, I get 1 less beep. It seems to boot up fine and everything works there are no post errors. I'm waiting for an email from ECS to find out if this is normal.
 04/06/2009 06:19 PM

Author Icon
SH
Overclocker

Since this thread has been brought up again, I update my situation:
I've added 2 more gigs of ram (total 4 GB) and now I only get the 1st beep, NO SECOND BEEP! Weird...
But it boots OK so I don't care.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information