Increase font size
Topic Title: Windows 7 Advanced Power Settings: System Cooling Policy
Topic Summary: How does it work?
Created On: 07/06/2009 02:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2009 02:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SH
Overclocker

I just came across an option in Windows 7 RC under processor power management which is in the advanced power settings in power options.
It says System Cooling Policy: Active/Passive
I'm curious as to what the passive option does (active is default). I just didn't try as I fear it will stop the CPU fan and fry my Athlon X2.
Anyone knows? Anyone is brave enough to try?
 07/06/2009 05:12 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Passive is for PWM monitored fans. It won't allow the fan to spin up beyond your default BIOS speed.. Basically it saves a bit of power, but then you should set your processor to something like maximum of 50% when under battery power. On a notebook this may also prevent your fans from spinning up beyond it's default normal speed or only enabling one of two or three fans depending on how it's setup in your laptop BIOS for the minimal fan settings.

I've used it, and when my desktop did go to the battery the fan was still spinning. I do have an aftermarket heatsink but it doesn't use PWM, so with PWM you might want to test it out and make sure. I didn't notice any adverse affect, but even if my CPU heatsink did stop, I do have enough airflow that I would be ok anyways for a while. On my laptop it only enables my fans, but they won'y go into hyper drive like they normally do. Again I also reduced the maximum CPU usage to 50% just to be on the safe side. It's just another way to stretch out battery life.

If your BIOS allows case and CPU fan speed settings, that's still the best way to go. Say if something should happen and Windows loses control, at least your BIOS settings will always work and most modern motherboards allow fine tuning of system fans, or at least the CPU fan.

P.S. What model of X2 do yuo have? You might want to adjust your maximum processor state accordingly. If it's a faster model 50% id fine, if it's a slower model maybe 65%, just so it has enough oomph to save your things and shut down without taking forever.

-------------------------
Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!

Edited: 07/06/2009 at 05:19 PM by PorscheRacer14
 07/06/2009 05:37 PM

Author Icon
SH
Overclocker

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what does PWM mean?
And how can your desktop go to battery?
I've got a 5200+ 2.7 GHz.
 07/06/2009 07:10 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Pulse Width Modulation = PWM

I have a battery backup, which is also sometimes called an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) so I don't lose sensitive data or have hardware problems.

5200+ will work fine at 50% on battery. Mines overclocked to 2.83GHz so we'd be fairly similar, though you'd still use less power than me and produce less heat than my old Athlon.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

07/06/2009 07:19 PM

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

more to a UPS then just loosing sensitive data at time of power loss.

Homes and business can suffer from brownouts. Times where the demand for electricity has exceed ether the line in question or the power plants in question. It can effect a single breaker or an entire city.

This is when the 120 volts or so the PC was designed to run on drops under 100 volt range. I have even seen shorts on electronics or other household items cause the same thing. PC was not made to run on such power annd will cause a number of things

Loss or data corruption

Fried motherboard

fried PSU

fried GPU etc. I have seen PC,s not turn back on after such a thing happens. Even lost one my self.

UPS is a MUST have for any electronic device with sensitive technology.

I use 5 UPS,s totaling over 4800 VA in my home to protect all our screens , TV's and PC's .

My system in the sig, my main PC. Runs on a 1500 AVR 900 watt UPS.

AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)

Edited: 07/06/2009 at 07:32 PM by PC-GURU -
 07/06/2009 07:39 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

yep, that's why I use them. My first harsh lesson was losing a RAID array due to a power trip. And then another one took out a fuse in my 1,200 watt pre-amplifier. Expensive stuff to deal with. My house that I'm renovating has a sweat UPS system that kicks in when the power goes out, and then turns on the generator, and then turns off itself to run on generator power till main power is restored.

It's about good enough to keep the fridge, deep freezer and a few lights and things going. The basics out on the farm. That was one heck of a wiring job though. Well worth it to pay the electrician t do it while he was there.

But yeah. A UPS for any sensitive, expensive electronic is always a good thing. Really, the average computer doesn't need a large one, so say $60-$100 for peace of mind? Why wouldn't you?

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

07/06/2009 07:58 PM

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

still get a ton of clients just refuse to buy one.

$60.00 UPS for piece of mind and I get the old,

Well I have had computers for 23 years and never once lost one to power problems speech lol.

Always say the same thing, good then you wont mind the fact I cant return a PC's parts that's dead to power problems then. Seance clearly according to you its not going to happen.

AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information