Topic Title: personal story
Topic Summary: thought i'd share
Created On: 01/09/2010 07:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/09/2010 07:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Hey all. This sort of has to do with technology so I thought I'd share.

I was browsing the craigslist computer section one day, when I came upon a rather sad post. It was a single mom, without much money, telling of how her young son had traded three of his Wii video games for a computer. Her son had found the deal on Craigslist, and a trade was the only thing they could afford. Her son traded the video games, and brought back a computer that wasn't working. When the boy tried to call the people who had traded him the computer, they hung up on him. She was asking if anyone could help her out with a cheap computer deal or donation, and added that she was at a loss when she couldn't provide for her boy.

I saw the post, and looked around at a Dell that I hadn't used for anything productive in months. I was probably just going to take it into the Computer Ministry anyway. So I emailed the person back, and we conversed for a bit. I told her that I might have a computer ready, and that if she could give me some time, I might have it ready for the weekend.

Specs:
Intel P4 2.8GHz w/ HT
512MB DDR400
40GB HDD
Onboard Video/Sound/LAN

The problem really was only the question of the OS. I wasn't going to load a bootleg OS on a computer I was going to donate. So I went into the Ministry, explained the situation to the guys, and was able to get a legal, activated copy of XP installed on the PC.

The lady had also mentioned that, if possible, it'd be nice for the PC to have a wireless card. I found that in the warehouse also. She hadn't mentioned anything else, but the fact that the boy was definitely at video gaming age(what kid isn't nowadays) made me think maybe the system should have something better than onboard Intel graphics. I searched through boxes and boxes of spare components and came up with two cards, a 9200LE(ick, but would be better), and a 9700 series. If the stupid Dell power supply would have had two floppy connectors, I would have put the 9700 in.

However, I didn't want to stick in a stripped 9200LE. I rewent through every box, found a couple more, and just about flipped out when I found an ATI 9600Pro.

Perfect!

I threw everything in, verified everything was working as it should, and took the computer home. Wouldn't have been able to do that without the generosity of the guys who run the Computer Ministry.

Today, almost a week later, I was able to go meet who I had been corresponding with. I was a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect. However, my fears subsided when two of the most honest looking people I had ever seen emerged from the car, the mother and her son. They were looking a bit skeptical themselves, who wouldn't.

I brought out the computer, and explained everything I could about it. The mother was just so happy and relieved. The boy brought out the computer he had been given, and I just looked at it. It was an old, beat up Compaq, with stains all over the case. Granted, 3 Wii games normally won't get you a stellar computer. But it should get better then that. I'll take it in to the Ministry for recycling.

--------------

So I guess that is my story. Just wanted to share it with all of you. I'm not looking for pats on the back. Just sending out the message that....eh. Sometimes those components that inevitably gather around the house of the computer geek can do a lot of good elsewhere. I guess that's true for a lot of things actually.

It really was just eye opening for me.

All you have a good rest of your weekend

-------------------------
My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/09/2010 08:06 PM

Author Icon
wpistulka

You are a splendid person!
kudos!
I don't mind doing the same thing when I can.
peace

Click here to read what to post when asking for help.
CLICKYCLICKY!!
 01/09/2010 08:08 PM

Author Icon
Singinwolf

Great to see someone being blessed instead of someone being taken. It just goes to show that not everyone in this sin stained world is bad. Blessings be upon you head.
 01/09/2010 08:32 PM

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

We end up with a good deal of older PC,s people want to replace with new PC,s we build for them.

We save them and give them a small face life (new software) then good will them to needy families.

There is no greater feeling then helping thous who deserve to be helped.

My hats off to you for being one of the people how ever few and far between, to make the world a better and happier place.

AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 01/09/2010 09:11 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Originally posted by: PC-GURU -

We end up with a good deal of older PC,s people want to replace with new PC,s we build for them.

We save them and give them a small face life (new software) then good will them to needy families.

There is no greater feeling then helping thous who deserve to be helped.

My hats off to you for being one of the people how ever few and far between, to make the world a better and happier place.

So you're doing the same thing, that's great man!! And it really is a great feeling.

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 01/09/2010 09:17 PM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

splendid work technic
 01/09/2010 09:43 PM

Author Icon
TeMpLeViPeR:~
Deprecated

That was a very cool thing to do for them. We upgraded our workstations about a year ago and tech support told me I could keep them, or throw them away. I donated them to a local charity for people in need of pc's. They were older Dells and managed to get legit copies of XP aswell. I was really happy to recycle them to people in need, great story technic. Thanx for sharing.

~5.53 GHZ CPU-Z Link~

01/09/2010 09:56 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Ah. Sounds like there are a lot of good people on this forum

01/09/2010 10:35 PM

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

Good to see that there are still charitable people. I was going to donate some clothes to a box until I realized, some SOB urinated inside the thing or outside, idk. Who knows if he threw anything in there, it sure smelled like it. The general populous can be some disgusting F'ers.

zzzap!
 01/10/2010 12:35 AM

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

Good for you. That's a heartwarming story

The collection of parts, laptops, and desktops I randomly get, I use to fix up peoples' machines. A friend of a friend's laptop got a virus in late summer, and her dad died a few months prior. She was afraid the virus would screw up her files, which included pics of her family including her dad that she did not have backed up. So she hadn't turned the computer on for 6 months or so, afraid to lose these pics. Her friend (who knows me) suggested she bring the computer to me as I may be able to help, so I saved the pics for her and reinstalled Windows, and set up Avast and everything. The virus probably wouldn't have deleted those pictures of her dad anyway, but it's good that she can rest easy, and that her laptop is performing like new, as she can't afford a new one.

It's really cool that you're part of this computer ministry. A couple guys from the church I used to go to back in Wisconsin do something similar, but that was before my computer savvy days so I didn't really help out. I kind of one-man it now where I live in Michigan. Wish there was an organization, cause I have a ton of parts that could use good homes, but there's no network to put them to good use.

ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
Phenom II X4 925c2 @ 2.80GHz (95W)
OCZ Platinum PC3-1333 2x2GB 7-7-7-21
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.
 01/10/2010 12:47 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Outstanding!!! Thank you so much for sharing that with us....I really needed the pick-me-up after today....it was a rough one.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/10/2010 12:58 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I used to give all my old working PCs to Goodwill, but due to unscrupulous acts, like the above, they no longer accept them

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/10/2010 06:15 AM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

I donate a part of my earned money to orphanages every lunar month, and I really dont have any spare PC parts
 01/10/2010 08:56 AM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

That is a great story, technic. You deserve a pat on the back even though that is not why you shared it with us. I hope your story inspires more to get involved in helping others however they can.

01/10/2010 08:58 AM

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

A Texan Lone Star for that Southern Courtesy! To you and Guru!

zzzap!
 01/10/2010 09:01 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Hope today is a better one, Buck.

Seems like everyone helps out in their own way. That's really great. I'm also happy that this Ministry is around. The most generous people run the place. I never would have heard of it if a friend hadn't recommended I stop by over the summer. Instantly hooked. Haha.

01/11/2010 01:24 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

I usually donate all my old components, specially HDDs. Even if I consider under 120GB HDDs obsolete, to some that never had above 40GB-ones they can be very life-saving. Same goes for older memory modules. Specially now that good DDR1s are like gold.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 01/11/2010 06:36 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Originally posted by: Overmind

I usually donate all my old components, specially HDDs. Even if I consider under 120GB HDDs obsolete, to some that never had above 40GB-ones they can be very life-saving. Same goes for older memory modules. Specially now that good DDR1s are like gold.

Mmmm, that's a great point.

The most desired components at the Ministry right now are power supplies. They are the things that die most, and we get many a great system that comes in with a dead power supply. The ministry is driven by good components that are recycled from bad computers, but not many bad computers seem to have good power supplies.

I may look into selling some of the parts that would otherwise get recycled, and then buy some good power supplies with the money. I've seen a lot of things that would fetch at least some money. I've found upperclass Athlon XPs, all speeds of Pentium 4's both s478 and LGA775, a couple Xeons, and even an Athlon 64 3000+ the other day. Probably the most valuable thing so far has been a 1.4GHz Athlon...with the golden 200MHz FSB.

01/11/2010 08:11 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

PSUs are cheap enough for almost everyone to get.
The generic ones I give away for free usually first need some repairs like changed capacitors.
Anyway, I can recondition a PSU from two bad ones or even 2 out of 3 bad ones.
Also, components that everyone considered dead, like socket A CPUs or s478MBs eventually are good for someone so I never throw them away (despite everyone else saying that there's too much stored junk around).

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 01/11/2010 10:01 AM

Author Icon
lspenix
Deprecated

tech it is real cool to know that there are people in this world that still cares for another human. the people who did that to the kid will get whats comming to them, i strongly believe what comes around goes around.

ASUS crosshair v, AMD 8 core dozer @3.8ghz, Antec 620 liquid cooling, 8 gig crucial ballistic tracer , vistek7870, 1TB WD hard drive, 250 gig WD hard drive, 500gig Seagate Barracuda HD, Asus cd/dvd rw, 750w PC Power Cooling PS RED, Thermaltake 250w graphics PS, Thermaltake armor full tower, Cyborg Keyboard, 5.1 Razor head phones.Windows 7.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information