Topic Title: personal story
Topic Summary: thought i'd share
Created On: 01/09/2010 07:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/11/2010 06:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JC
Elite

This is exactly why I love this forum!!! Its not just a snoby place that "daddies rich kids" with to much money come to brag!!! People here actually care and go out of there way to better the live of other!! God bless you all and keep it up.. Keep in mind we can't bring our computers with us when we pass on but we can bring the joy that we feel when we enrich the lives of those around us..

P.S. This thread is a good way to get us all thinking about what we should really do with this new year that has been given to us..

-------------------------

01/11/2010 06:57 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I'd have to agree, this forum is pretty good about that sort of thing. Meaning I don't really see a heck of a lot of "WOMG I've got ANOTHER 3,000 to spend on ANOTHER new system!!!" It's more of a support forum.

I like it.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/11/2010 08:44 PM

Author Icon
JC
Elite

Everyone here has made me feel very welcome and helped me when I had probs that I couldnt figure out on my own... I will be a "lifer" here because of it!!

01/11/2010 09:41 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Haha yep. This forums taught me the majority of what I know.

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 01/11/2010 10:09 PM

Author Icon
Charlie22911
Voodoo Programmer

Kudos! I have been given a few parts as gifts from a couple of DFI street members and a AMD forum member (Anyone remember WildCard and -Milt- ?). It's a great feeling. You allways hear so many bad things about the world, but when complete strangers give from their hearts... Well it's like the world is not such a cold evil place after all.
Now that I have income, it's much more fun to give.

Desktop:
Phenom II x6 1055T @ 4GHz | 4x2GB Patriot DDR3 1600 @ 2000 | 3x AMD Radeon HD6970 Crossfire

Laptop:
Core i7 2960xm @ 4.2Ghz | 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1866 | 2x GTX 580m SLI OC 725/1450/1500
 01/11/2010 10:17 PM

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

I was given a free Gilette Tech razor from 1939, some blades and some lime shaving cream for free from Michael "Leisureguy" Ham via Shavemyface.com
His Book

I've gotta say, it made me extremely happy, and I still use the razor today. All I did was come on the forums there and asked for info about purchasing a razor for cheap and he went ahead and sent me a whole set of goodies.

There are good people out there, though many more bad apples.

zzzap!
 01/11/2010 10:47 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Originally posted by: Charlie22911

Kudos! I have been given a few parts as gifts from a couple of DFI street members and a AMD forum member (Anyone remember WildCard and -Milt- ?). It's a great feeling. You allways hear so many bad things about the world, but when complete strangers give from their hearts... Well it's like the world is not such a cold evil place after all.

Now that I have income, it's much more fun to give.

Oh Milt...

He was the first guy who helped me. I had a dead end socket A motherboard that I was trying to overclock a dead end Duron with. I had no idea about...anything really. He walked me through it, and when I made a mistake that ended up killing my rig, he offered to sell me his own overclocked Duron system, which was loads faster, for much less than it was worth. Very good guy.

01/11/2010 10:58 PM

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

We may have lost some good people over the years, but this place is still very special.

ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
Phenom II X4 925c2 @ 2.80GHz (95W)
OCZ Platinum PC3-1333 2x2GB 7-7-7-21
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.
 09/27/2010 08:37 AM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

For the life of me I can't figure why this thread has caught my attention. Nobody has posted in it since January, but yet there it was on the top of the Forum boards. My area doesn't have a place like the Computer Ministry, and both Goodwill, and the Salvation Army will not take Computer donations anymore, because they have nobody to run threw them and fix them up. As the local "PC Doctor" I tried to solicit them to allow me to donate rigs that are of working order, as God knows I have some that come in get repaired and then people never come back for. So after about 60 days I list them for sell for the cost of the repair ticket. They told me no however so I guess it will be business as usual.

I sold about a month ago a Compaq Presario CQ62Z with a Phenom II dual-core, and 4 Gigs of memory and Windows 7 home premium, a relatively new machine (less then a year old I think). It came in with a broken LCD screen and I was amazed that I could actually get the screen from HP directly. Any way I sold it to a collage student out the door for $175. Its not exactly a donation, but that wasn't a 5 year old lappy either.

Anyway I guess I felt compelled to post in this thread,
Tec, keep up the good work. maybe some day there will be something come up where we can help each other out.

09/27/2010 06:33 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

A witch brought it back to the surface.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 09/27/2010 06:36 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

... and Fusetalk doesn't reorder the threads when a post gets deleted.

/kick
/stab

Excuse me, I've been feeling a little stabby lately.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 09/27/2010 11:03 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Hey guys,

Thanks for keeping this thread going. I've been very busy lately, so I haven't been able to stop in to the ministry lately, but if anyone wants to send anything, I'd be more than happy to have an excuse to go see the guys again!

College is just pretty crazy with work, haha.

Thanks to everyone who has PMed me about donating!

Also, not to try to sell you guys anything, but I have I think...two Athlon XP 3200+ CPUs that I'll probably stick up on Ebay if no one wants them, then donate the proceeds to the ministry where I found them. I guess people aren't exactly scrambling to get them anymore, but I'm sure there is someone somewhere with a Socket A board, haha.

Anyway, thanks again!!

09/28/2010 04:00 AM

Author Icon
Ryan Evans
Lurker

Last month I just assemble a desk computer for my brother. Then I was so hesitate between AMD and Intel. But finally I chose AMD. Hopefully I have made the right decision. Although my story is nothing to do with your post but I am glad to enjoy your story too.
 09/28/2010 09:37 AM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

Originally posted by: technic58

Hey guys,

Thanks for keeping this thread going. I've been very busy lately, so I haven't been able to stop in to the ministry lately, but if anyone wants to send anything, I'd be more than happy to have an excuse to go see the guys again!

College is just pretty crazy with work, haha.

Thanks to everyone who has PMed me about donating!

Also, not to try to sell you guys anything, but I have I think...two Athlon XP 3200+ CPUs that I'll probably stick up on Ebay if no one wants them, then donate the proceeds to the ministry where I found them. I guess people aren't exactly scrambling to get them anymore, but I'm sure there is someone somewhere with a Socket A board, haha.

Anyway, thanks again!!

lol I have a 3200 XP + Barton Core (400Mhz FSB) that needs a motherboard. It was the stallion of the stable while it was running. I was forced to upgrade when I found that the cost of a replacement motherboard (GA-7N400 Pro2) would run me around $1400 bones. Now I cant even find one so the CPU will wind up sitting here I suppose.

09/28/2010 11:49 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Oh geez. I have a GA-7N400 sitting right here that I recycled from the ministry. I'm not sure if it's the Pro2 model or not, probably not. I mainly brought it home because it was going to be junked, just to test out some Socket A CPUs that I had laying around. Seems like a pretty solid board.

09/28/2010 12:23 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

lol I have a 3200 XP + Barton Core (400Mhz FSB) that needs a motherboard.

Here you go :-)

ASUS A7V600 VIA KT600 Socket A ATX Motherboard w/Audio, GbLAN & RAID

and

Asus Ath/Dur Socket A KT600

Edited: 09/28/2010 at 01:03 PM by go_for
 09/28/2010 05:07 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

Originally posted by: technic58

Oh geez. I have a GA-7N400 sitting right here that I recycled from the ministry. I'm not sure if it's the Pro2 model or not, probably not. I mainly brought it home because it was going to be junked, just to test out some Socket A CPUs that I had laying around. Seems like a pretty solid board.

I loved that board because of the shear number of IDE channels on it. With 4 IDE controllers you could utilize up to 8 Drives. In that set up I had two DVD drives and 4 HDDs, all while leaving one channel open for any drives I needed to recover data from. I am not sure but I think that board was the only desktop board that had so many IDE controllers.

The downside to the board is the CPU fan header. It had to detect a fan to post. On my board the CPU Fan Header went out, thus rendering the motherboard useless.

09/29/2010 04:52 PM

Author Icon
bji
Lurker

What you did was a great thing.

Just to give a little story from someone who has been on the other side of such an arrangement:

When I was in 7th grade I wanted nothing more in the world than a Commodore 64 computer. This was around 1985 if I recall correctly, maybe 1984. I was so interested in computers that I had taught myself to program (BASIC, of course) using a book, pencil, and paper to do the programming exercises therein, before even owning a computer. But my family (mom, sister, and myself) didn't have much money and the cost of a Commodore 64 - about $400, or about $800 in today's dollars - was beyond our means.

Still, when Christmas rolled around and my mom asked my sister and I to write a Christmas wish list, I wrote only one thing on it - "Commodore 64 computer".

I gave it to my mom and I'll never forget what she said - "Why did you write that when you know that we could never afford it?" - crestfallen, I had to erase it and replace it with whatever came to mind - a football, G.I. Joe figures, whatever else I liked to do at the time. But no computer. I knew then that I would never have a Commodore 64.

On Christmas morning a month later there were the usual assortment of small presents under the tree, but no big box that could have a C64 in it. Don't get me wrong - I was happy to have Christmas presents, but I still really really wished I could have a computer. But I knew that morning when I saw the presents under the tree that it was not to be.

After my sister and I had opened our presents, my mom said to me, "wait, there's one more, I have to go get it". She went out to the garage and came back in with - A COMMODORE 64, 1541 DISK DRIVE, MONITOR, and PRINTER!! I was floored. I was only 12 but remember being speechless and just about as happy at that moment as I had ever been in my life.

I didn't know how she had managed to afford it, especially considering that I had gotten more than I had even asked for (all I had asked for was the computer, expecting to hook it up to an old black and white TV, but I had also gotten a disk drive, printer, and color monitor). But I didn't ask too many questions. That day I read the entire owner's manual and started writing BASIC programs on an actual computer. It's been 25 years since that day but I can still remember the excitement of unpacking and setting up my own computer.

I went on to teach myself more sophisticated programming using that computer, including 6502 assembly that I used to write a fractal program and win my high school science fair my senior year, and from there on to Carnegie Mellon University as a CS student, and after that, to silicon valley CA where I have been lucky to enjoy a good working career in a profession that to this day I still love.

What I didn't find out until years later was how my mom managed to get that C64. Turns out that she (who was a payroll processor in a small office) had mentioned to her boss how much I wanted a computer and how badly she felt that she couldn't afford to get one for me - and he went out and BOUGHT IT AND GAVE IT TO HER FOR ME. It was because of his generosity that my life took the path that it did take. I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to a person that I didn't even know and had no reason to help my family out in that way except that he clearly had a good and generous heart.

I think of the original poster of this topic in the same way and I hope that the boy who received his computer can, as I did, realize whatever dreams he has as a result.
 09/29/2010 11:24 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Bji,

That is such an awesome story, thanks for sharing!!!

10/03/2010 10:47 AM

Author Icon
Zodgrod009
Overclocker

In my city alot of people don't realize we have a recycling centre for computers and I wind up finding a lot in the trash. I grab these systems and monitors etc and some are busted beyond repair but most of the parts are still working.

So I take these systems and build new ones and I donate them to people who need them. First it was just family members but I've expanded to responding to want ads similar to the original post by technic58. My very first had to be almost 10 years ago when I donated my old 486 system to a co-worker who also was one of our cities most respected foster parent and they had a lot of kids who could benefit from a computer. He tried to give me money for it but I gave almost all of it back because I didn't want to offend him and I said thats the price. This was back in 1998 so a 486 was still a valid PC and I had upgraded the hell out of it adding a bigger hard drive and more ram so it ran pretty good and I was able to run quake and diablo on it.

In all of the spare parts I do find I have only ever used one 80GB hard drive that has Vista installed on it. Everything else has gone to people who need it.

I hope I can inspire someone like bji.

AMD 940 PH2 BE @ 3.7 Ghz ArcticFreezer 64 pro
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
Patriot 4GB pc8500 DDR2 1066@5-5-5-15
Antec Quattro 850 Watt PSU
Asus 5770 1GB DDR5 850/1200
Sound blaster Audigy. w/2.1 surround Logitech speakers
Antec 900 case w/4 120mm fans 1 200mm fan
AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » General Technology Chat » personal story

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information