AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Unregistered Windows 7 ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/01/2010 04:13 AM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/01/2010 04:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
The_Un_Forgiven
Newbie

Posts: 45
Joined: 02/19/2009

Alright the other day i come onto my PC and I get a lil pop up screen in the bottom right hand corner of my screen saying that my Windows7 Unregistered.

I call the guy who built my PC and asked what was up with it.

He tells me that Microsoft sent out some crap to look for pirated copies on Windows, yet the people that received it where the ones with the proper registry.
Kinda sounds funny to me, but ok.

So he says bring it in and we will fix ya up.
I bring it in, he brings it into the bad, 5min later I get it back and its fine.

I dunno just kinda sounds odd.

Should I have any concerns ?

-------------------------
Gigabite-MA790FXT-UD5P Socket A
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition w/ CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5 GPU
2x2GB Kingston DDR3 RAM @ 1333 (4GB total)
TR2 Thermaltake 500w PSU
ScanDisk 120GB SSD (SDSSDH-120G-G25 R)
 04/01/2010 04:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Liqourice
Case Modder

Posts: 1616
Joined: 08/31/2008

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

If a proper and genuine windows were installed on your computer you should AT LEAST get a license key and a windows 7 dvd with it, just in case you ever need to re-install.

There are licenses out there that can be installed on multiple computers but those are ment for companies buying multiple licenses. They are not ment to be used on these kind of systems, so in that respect it's not genuine if that is so.

Never heard of anyone getting this kind of problem with a genuine copy either so to me it sounds like this guy has installed a cracked windows and hopes for the best....

-------------------------
Main Rig:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower : Corsair 750HX Modular PSU : Asus Crosshair III Formula : Phenom II X4 965 125W
Corsair H-50 CPU Cooler : Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20-1T 2x2GB : WD Caviar Black 32MB 640GB : Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X
HTPC:
Antec Fusion Remote Black : ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO : Athlon II X2 240e : Crucial BallistiX 1600 2GB x2
Corsair 400W : Sapphire Radeon HD6850 : Lite-On iHBS112 BD-Burner : WD Caviar Green 500 GB
 04/01/2010 07:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Posts: 1099
Joined: 01/22/2005

Microsoft has a site where you can check if your Windows license is valid.
http://www.microsoft.com/howto...lt.aspx?displaylang=en

-------------------------


Edited: 04/02/2010 at 07:54 PM by RBR
 04/01/2010 08:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Posts: 12033
Joined: 01/26/2005

The person who built it... is it a business? or an individual? If it's an individual, I would guess he has one disc of 7, and it's probably pirated, and he just installs it on all his computers. He probably recracked it when he took it back.


Did he provide you with a license? is there a CD sleeve with a disc and a little yellow sticker with lots of numbers and letters on it? if not, ask him to provide it to you. if he can't .... it's pirated.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/01/2010 11:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

It may or may not be fishy. I am a business that has problems with this as well. Just like 1000,s of other businesses across the nation. Including Dell,HP and about all other type business that deals with large amount of licences.

Microsoft has released 2 versions of update KB971033 that is a wat update that forces windows 7 to call home every 90 days to check the validity of windows 7 key files and registration. If there is any mismatching files or any customization or damage to any of these files the OS will deactivate and report as possible fraud.

Problem is that false positives happen in the 1000,s on any given week due to any one of a 10000,000 reasons lol. Every call to Microsoft has resulted i the same result for me at least.

I quote, "update KB971033 is a voluntary update and WILL NOT download or install it,s self. You have to select it and force install it. Use this update at your own risk, we have the right to try to curve possible fraud as we see possible"

So in other words KB971033 is just spyware and if I was you. Stop installing voluntary experimental software and you wont have any more problems.

Out of 237 licences sold I have had 10 of them report as not genuine due to this update. Each time I get a sorry but just don't use the update if you don't like the result.

This is after a 1 week investigation into the problem.

Want proof of this ? Just google it Link 1.

Thou it has helped sniff out some fraud it has also ***** on a lot of paying legit customers to.

Also remember there are 4 versions of windows 7 licencing and they do NOT activate all the same.

1. retail

2. OEM retail

3. volume MSDN or technet direct download small business

4. volume MSDN or technet royalty large business.

The volume licensed activate on entirely different servers.

We have been told that the volume direct download copies suffer problems the worst.

Sooooooooooooo your copy may be perfectly legal and just got hit by the Microsoft phone home spyware and don't stress it.

my advice is do not install update kb971033 , it is a voluntary update and still experimental and it is spyware at it,s worst.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)

Edited: 04/02/2010 at 12:53 AM by PC-GURU -
 04/01/2010 11:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

Originally posted by: Liqourice

Sounds a bit fishy to me.



If a proper and genuine windows were installed on your computer you should AT LEAST get a license key and a windows 7 dvd with it, just in case you ever need to re-install.



There are licenses out there that can be installed on multiple computers but those are ment for companies buying multiple licenses. They are not ment to be used on these kind of systems, so in that respect it's not genuine if that is so.



Never heard of anyone getting this kind of problem with a genuine copy either so to me it sounds like this guy has installed a cracked windows and hopes for the best....


As per licencing rules and regulations of direct download volume licensing disks are not allowed. by law re are required to

1. offer a rapid restore of the software pack

2. offer to free install software if ever needed

Serials can not be given out, some serials can be used for several PC,s based on the number of volumes purchased.

OEM retail is what your thinking of and it comes with serial and a cheap package.

volume direct download it another beast all together.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 04/01/2010 12:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Posts: 12033
Joined: 01/26/2005

Do you at least provide the disc(partition) and copy of license to your customers? I think that's where the mismatch is occuring here.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/01/2010 12:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

Do you at least provide the disc(partition) and copy of license to your customers? I think that's where the mismatch is occuring here.


Like I said, by law he should of included a recovery partition with a exact duplicate of all licences and software that can be restored as needed.

I do with ALL my builds. I build in a rapid 10 min restore that wipes out the old software and loads on all new virgin software that is pre activated and pre updated etc.

If he did not use a restore then his only other option is to offer a free reinstall or he is in breach of his licencing.

But no I doubt that is where the missmatch is happening to him. A missmatch can be 1 of a number of things. Normaly the licencing data has been changed/updated/repaired/mismatched dates or could have suffered damage from add ware/spyware/male ware/or a registry repair gone bad and this is the most common.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 04/01/2010 12:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Posts: 12033
Joined: 01/26/2005

no no, by mismatch, I mean that i'm guessing that The_Un_Forgiven would have known if he had a physical disc or backup partition, and might have mentioned that, or attempted his own reactivation. since it wasn't mentioned, or alluded too, I would say the guy doesn't have a disc or patrtition, and based on the story, that his builder probably uses a piarted disc and scalps the money on the top.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/01/2010 12:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

no no, by mismatch, I mean that i'm guessing that The_Un_Forgiven would have known if he had a physical disc or backup partition, and might have mentioned that, or attempted his own reactivation. since it wasn't mentioned, or alluded too, I would say the guy doesn't have a disc or patrtition, and based on the story, that his builder probably uses a piarted disc and scalps the money on the top.


Ya , I always tell the client and perform a restore right in front of them. Download all updates and then just hide update KB971033 to prevent any more problems.

I try to keep it 100% on the up and up and NEVER let the PC out of the sight of the client.

When he took the PC back and 5 min it is fixed suggested BS to me.

It will take 10 min to 20 min to restore a software pack depending on it,s initial size. 5 min ? just not possible.

In this case, I think he needs to dig more into this and find out what is up.

Remember, as per licencing agreement a recovery partition should be present. If it is not then something is fishy.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 04/01/2010 01:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

Posts: 1592
Joined: 01/25/2010

LOL did my post get the boot or did I just think I hit reply?
Oh well, Why is a raven like a writing desk?


-------------------------
More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 04/01/2010 02:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Posts: 8517
Joined: 10/06/2003

There were a couple here that got the boot, and don't you start complaining about it.

-------------------------
Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 04/01/2010 02:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

Posts: 1592
Joined: 01/25/2010

Originally posted by: Mime

There were a couple here that got the boot, and don't you start complaining about it.


BUT BUT BUT



-------------------------
More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 04/01/2010 05:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Posts: 12033
Joined: 01/26/2005

Originally posted by: Mime

There were a couple here that got the boot, and don't you start complaining about it. [IMG][/IMG]


I must have missed some pro-piracy fun.... *****..... why do I always miss the good stuff?!?

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/01/2010 06:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

Posts: 1592
Joined: 01/25/2010

FYI i pay for my OS. Not to say I didnt "try" it out first.

-------------------------
More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 04/01/2010 06:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

nice save man, guess we can call off that raid guys lol.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 04/01/2010 06:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

Posts: 1592
Joined: 01/25/2010

lmao I always try before i buy. You cant return software anymore.

-------------------------
More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 04/02/2010 12:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

Posts: 3006
Joined: 02/27/2005



Seriously though, if they just made W7 the Academic price for everyone, there would be less pirating of it... Trust me, I'm the biggest one, but once I could have a copy for a mere $30, I sprung and purchased the first OS in my entire life.

-------------------------
zzzap!
 04/02/2010 12:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

He may or may not have sold a pirated copy. He could be getting hit with false positive, this is a very real chance.

BUT they guys business practices sound to be flaky and are NOT in the licencing agreement.

That a loan would give me great pause lol.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 04/02/2010 04:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Speedwayaudio
Overclocker

Posts: 919
Joined: 02/13/2009

Originally posted by: PC-GURU -

It may or may not be fishy. I am a business that has problems with this as well. Just like 1000,s of other businesses across the nation. Including Dell,HP and about all other type business that deals with large amount of licences.



Microsoft has released 2 versions of update KB971033 that is a wat update that forces windows 7 to call home every 90 days to check the validity of windows 7 key files and registration. If there is any mismatching files or any customization or damage to any of these files the OS will deactivate and report as possible fraud.



Problem is that false positives happen in the 1000,s on any given week due to any one of a 10000,000 reasons lol. Every call to Microsoft has resulted i the same result for me at least.



I quote, "update KB971033 is a voluntary update and WILL NOT download or install it,s self. You have to select it and force install it. Use this update at your own risk, we have the right to try to curve possible fraud as we see possible"



So in other words KB971033 is just spyware and if I was you. Stop installing voluntary experimental software and you wont have any more problems.



Out of 237 licences sold I have had 10 of them report as not genuine due to this update. Each time I get a sorry but just don't use the update if you don't like the result.



This is after a 1 week investigation into the problem.



Want proof of this ? Just google it Link 1.



Thou it has helped sniff out some fraud it has also ***** on a lot of paying legit customers to.



Also remember there are 4 versions of windows 7 licencing and they do NOT activate all the same.



1. retail



2. OEM retail



3. volume MSDN or technet direct download small business



4. volume MSDN or technet royalty large business.



The volume licensed activate on entirely different servers.



We have been told that the volume direct download copies suffer problems the worst.



Sooooooooooooo your copy may be perfectly legal and just got hit by the Microsoft phone home spyware and don't stress it.



my advice is do not install update kb971033 , it is a voluntary update and still experimental and it is spyware at it,s worst.


I unistalled KB971033. Thanks for the info. I have a legal copy of 7. I don't buy bootleg stuff. I just don't want spyware in my rig. thanks for the info.

-------------------------
FX 8150 X 8 4.5MHz
Asus Crosshair V
ATI Radeon HD 6950 X2
8 gb Corsair Dominator GT 9-9-9-24@ 1866mhz DDR3
Seagate 7200.10 HDD LG BluRay HD DVD
w/LightScrib
Crucial M4 128 SSD
55"Vizio LCD
Corsair HX 1000 psu
NZXT Phantom Black
Corsair H80 push/pull
Razer Death Adder VooDoo edition mouse and Keyboard.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.



Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information