AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: RAIDXpert Help-RAID 1 Capacity HDD Upgrade without rebuild?
Topic Summary: How to Install new hard drives to Upgrade RAID 1 HDD Capacity without rebuild
Created On: 06/11/2010 11:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/11/2010 11:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mcnubbins9

Please Help me with a procedure on how to upgrade my existing 1.5 T HDD RAID 1 to higher capacity drives 2.0 T RAID 1. I have purchased two new HDD's and wish to migrate my data to the new higher capacity drives and looking for ideas on the best way to go about it. The 1.5 T is all but full so making an image and then loading it is going to be an issue as I don't have any other drives that could handle the image stage with the HDD's mentioned being the only ones I have with that much space available. Is there any way to utilize RAIDXpert to move the data to the new drives and assign them as the primary?

I found this procedure from JakFrost posted on Oct 6 2006, 08:35 PM
(http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiv...index.php?t19546.html) via Google search, but it is indicating an nvidia raid controller so not sure what the differences would be using AMD RAIDXpert

I am running the latest updates for Windows Vista Home Premiun 32Bit
ASUS M3A78-EM Motherboard
HDD: 2x Seagate SATA ST31500341AS 1.5 T
ATI 1X2 Mirror/RAID1 SCSI Disk Device using RAIDXpert V 2.4.1540.4_x2, Build Date:Nov 11,2007
Wanting to install 2x HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K (0S00164) 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Internal Hard Drives for the new RAID1

Any help anyone could provide would be very much appreciated

Thanks,
McNubbins9
 06/11/2010 11:50 AM

Author Icon
marioland
Driod

I have no experience with raid 1, but if one drive goes down can you replace with a larger drive? If so, is it automatically partitioned to the other drives size?

Just thinking if you replace one drive and let the raid take care of the rest. Probably not that simple.

edit: saw this, guess it's not that easy. Resizing Raid 1

-------------------------
Corsair AX 1200w-|-ASUS Crosshair IV-|-AMD 1090T/Thermax Spire Eclipse II
G.SKILL Flare 4GB DDR3 1840 CL6-|-WD Black 500G X2 RAID 0
WD Black 1T SATA 6GB/s-|-2x HD6870 Cross Fire-|-case MM Ascension
Samsung P2350-1 23"-|-Logitech G15 keyboard-|-Logitech G9x mouse/SteelSeries Experience I-2

Edited: 06/11/2010 at 11:57 AM by marioland
 06/11/2010 11:59 AM

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Originally posted by: mcnubbins9

Please Help me with a procedure on how to upgrade my existing 1.5 T HDD RAID 1 to higher capacity drives 2.0 T RAID 1. I have purchased two new HDD's and wish to migrate my data to the new higher capacity drives and looking for ideas on the best way to go about it. The 1.5 T is all but full so making an image and then loading it is going to be an issue as I don't have any other drives that could handle the image stage with the HDD's mentioned being the only ones I have with that much space available. Is there any way to utilize RAIDXpert to move the data to the new drives and assign them as the primary?

I found this procedure from JakFrost posted on Oct 6 2006, 08:35 PM

(http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiv...index.php?t19546.html) via Google search, but it is indicating an nvidia raid controller so not sure what the differences would be using AMD RAIDXpert

I am running the latest updates for Windows Vista Home Premiun 32Bit

ASUS M3A78-EM Motherboard

HDD: 2x Seagate SATA ST31500341AS 1.5 T

ATI 1X2 Mirror/RAID1 SCSI Disk Device using RAIDXpert V 2.4.1540.4_x2, Build Date:Nov 11,2007

Wanting to install 2x HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K (0S00164) 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Internal Hard Drives for the new RAID1

Any help anyone could provide would be very much appreciated

Thanks,

McNubbins9

Creat a system image backup via external HDD.

Windows 7 and windows vista use the built in option and windows xp use acronis.

Upgrade your array and rebuild.

You will need to load raid drivers at time of restore, Restore the image.

Your ready to rock.

The ONLY way it will work chief.

AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 06/11/2010 04:51 PM

Author Icon
massau
Fanboi

try to set one drive in and copy it to the other drive than try to set the second 2tb drive and set raid 1 or just set it in another raid idk what raid but there are others to just make your raid larger maybe try raid 1+0 so 2 drives in raid 1 and this drives whit the others in raid 0
 06/11/2010 07:01 PM

Author Icon
mcnubbins9

Original Message:

Your ready to rock.

PC-GURU -,

I noticed in RAIDXpert that there was a "Spare Drive" function. DO you not think it would be possible to:
1. Connect one of the 2TB drives in an open SATA
2. Add it to RAIDXpert as a Spare
3. Remove all drives and connect both 2TB drives with the "spare" configures in port 1
4. I would then hope that RAIDXpert would boot from he spare and re-build the second drive or allow me to add it
5. If I find there are capacity issues where the new drives are only showing 1.5TB max (old RAID capacity) either:
a. try to extend the volume in Windows Disk Management
or
b. remove the drives from RAID1, re-boot and extend the volumes in Windows, then add the drives to RAID1

Thanks,
McNubbins9
 06/11/2010 07:04 PM

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Originally posted by: mcnubbins9

Original Message:

Your ready to rock.

PC-GURU -,

I noticed in RAIDXpert that there was a "Spare Drive" function. DO you not think it would be possible to:

1. Connect one of the 2TB drives in an open SATA

2. Add it to RAIDXpert as a Spare

3. Remove all drives and connect both 2TB drives with the "spare" configures in port 1

4. I would then hope that RAIDXpert would boot from he spare and re-build the second drive or allow me to add it

5. If I find there are capacity issues where the new drives are only showing 1.5TB max (old RAID capacity) either:

a. try to extend the volume in Windows Disk Management

or

b. remove the drives from RAID1, re-boot and extend the volumes in Windows, then add the drives to RAID1

Thanks,

McNubbins9

spare drive option is to just add more free space to the raid bud.

What you want is to trade out one driver correct ?

Then image the software pack, backup any data.

Replace the drive, build the raid array and re image the raid.

AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 06/11/2010 07:19 PM

Author Icon
mcnubbins9

Originally posted by: PC-GURU -

spare drive option is to just add more free space to the raid bud.

What you want is to trade out one driver correct ?

Then image the software pack, backup any data.

Replace the drive, build the raid array and re image the raid.

Sorry didn't realize that was what the "Spare" function was really for...strange as I wouldn't normally associate Spare to additional space, but instead as an available replacement.

In response to your question in what I am trying to accomplish:
The end game would be to end up with all my current OS, Config, Software and Data on the new Higher capacity drives to take advantage of the additional 500gig with the least amount of work and additional software cost.

So in that case that I can not use the Spare function what about replacing one of the current 1.5TB raid drives with a new 2TB drive, let RAIDXpert re-build the RAID including/mirroring to the 2TB drive, then replace the last remaining 1.5TB with the other 2TB and repeat the mirror process then follow the process I indicated in the post above to extend the volume?

Thanks,
McNubbins9
 06/11/2010 11:34 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Case Modder

Upgradeing the array size is easy if you have enough SATA ports. Just set up the new drives in RAID. Leave them empty... then copy the old RAID over to it. Once finshed copying, remove the old RAID.... DONE

QB

The MONSTER HTPC

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 C2 (140W).||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:HIS IceQ 5 Radeon HD 5770 Turbo 1GB.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
Drive: 2xKingston SSD 40GB RAID0.||.Storage: 6TB (4x500GB Caviar Black RAID0, 2TB Hitachi & 2TB Caviar Green)
 06/12/2010 12:39 AM

Author Icon
mcnubbins9

Originally posted by: QB the Slayer

Upgradeing the array size is easy if you have enough SATA ports. Just set up the new drives in RAID. Leave them empty... then copy the old RAID over to it. Once finshed copying, remove the old RAID.... DONE

QB

QB,

This sounds good, but could you please go into a little bit more detail on the "then copy the old RAID over to it" part? What procedure, software, etc... do I use to go about it?

Thanks,
McNubbins9
 06/12/2010 05:04 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Case Modder

Well any software that clones disks will work. I pesonally think Acronis True Image Home is a wonderfully superior and awesome piece of software.... I think I read you are using Vista right? Windows 7 backup works ok... never used Vista so I have no idea what kind of backup it has, but it might do the trick. Might even be some free tools out there on the web that will clone a disk for you.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 C2 (140W).||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:HIS IceQ 5 Radeon HD 5770 Turbo 1GB.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
Drive: 2xKingston SSD 40GB RAID0.||.Storage: 6TB (4x500GB Caviar Black RAID0, 2TB Hitachi & 2TB Caviar Green)
 06/14/2010 09:47 AM

Author Icon
mcnubbins9

Well any software that clones disks will work. I pesonally think Acronis True Image Home is a wonderfully superior and awesome piece of software.... I think I read you are using Vista right? Windows 7 backup works ok... never used Vista so I have no idea what kind of backup it has, but it might do the trick. Might even be some free tools out there on the web that will clone a disk for you.

QB

QB,

I have been busy in attempting what you have suggested and have ran into a few walls...can you (or anyone really) help me out? This is what I have done so far and where I'm currently stuck. I should also not that I have switched gears a bit and decided to not go with RADI 1 again, but instead use RAID 0. So I am now attempting to move from a 2x1.5 TB HDD's 1.5TB RAID 1 to a 2x2.0TB HDD's 4.0TB RAID 0:

I took your advice and purchased Acronis True Image Home. When I run Acronis from Windows (the same OS disk I want to clone) it shows correctly disk 1 as my source RAID 1 and disk 2 as my new RAID 0 (2x 2TB HDD's) at full capacity (4TB). However, I recieve an error "Failed to move the selected data. Make sure that your new hard drive is not smaller than your old one and your partitions do not contain errors. You can check for the errors and correct them using a special utility."

Given the error above, I changed strategies to instead complete my clone disk using the Acronis Bootable Recovery CD (I have tried both the Recovery CD generated from my application and the CD downloaded from the Acronis Website). However, the disks are now switched in the display where Disk 2 is now indicated as the main OS disk (RAID 1) and Disk 1 is now indicating the new unallocated RAID 0 (2x 2TB HDD's) disk and it is also only showing a much lower capacity of 1.639 TB for the new disk instead of the 4TB that it actually is and shows from Acronis in Windows. However is is correctly indicated as a striped RAID in the desc.

I went ahead and cloned the RAID 1 to the RAID 0 that was indicated using the Acronis Recovery Boot even though it was a lower capacity showing in hopes that I could expand the volume afterwards in Windows. The clone process completed successfully so I went into BIOS changed the primary boot drive from RAID 1 to RAID 0, removed the old drives and rebooted.

It acted as though it was going to boot as it showed the Vista loading bar, but after a few passes it went to BSOD indicating "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and rebooted. So now I am stuck in a loop with the new drive. I tried Safe mode and see that it occurs directly after the storport.sys file is listed as loading for approx 15 seconds with HDD activity lights.

I then tried a few things with the Vista Recovery Console after reading that the problem may be due to a bad MBR or BCD. When I first boot up from the Vista disc it does not show a version of Windows to repair. I then load the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller Driver downloaded from ASUS for my motherboard (M3A78-EM). However, the OS never shows up in the list to repair, but you can in fact see the Drive (I can tell by selecting to load another driver and I can see that it is now showing in the Explore tree). So then I continued with the recovery to a command prompt and try and rebuild the MBR with no luck as the commands are coming back with errors indicating that they are invalid. The following is what I've tried so far
FIXMBR C:
FIXBOOT C:
BOOTCFG /rebuild
also tried bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup and it returned that the backup could not be stored on the drive indicated so I changed to the C: drive and recovery console returned the message that I would have to format the drive in order to use it and asked if I would like to do it now...I did not. So I am stuck and not sure what to do. I have tried two clones so far one manual and one automatic and both results in the same BSOD at Vista startup. When I remove the new RAID 0 drives and hook back up the RAID 1 drives the system boots fine so I know my original that i am cloning from is still good. If anyone can help I would appreciated it.

Thanks,
McNubbins
 06/14/2010 02:42 PM

Author Icon
mcnubbins9

Well any software that clones disks will work. I pesonally think Acronis True Image Home is a wonderfully superior and awesome piece of software....

QB

Here is the response I received from Acronis concerning the errors:

"Because of configuration difference between the RAID drives"( RAID 1 to RAID 0)", it would not be possible to clone the hard drive. You can backup the hard drive. You can select a temporary storage to save the backup and then restore it on the other hard drive."

So I guess it's a fresh install for me
Thanks,
McNubbins
 06/14/2010 11:43 PM

Author Icon
mcnubbins9

Ok so I am now attempting a fresh install using RAID 0 with the 2x 2.0TB drives (4.0TB Capacity) and have run into the following error: "windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation"

I am able to boot from the Vista disc, load the RAID driver so the Drive shows up, and begin the installation. I can make it through all of the steps on the first screen where it loads files, expands files, etc... Then the error above shows up in front of an "installation was cancelled" screen. My original config was as I mentioned RAID 1 and was able to install without issue so I am wondering if it is related to the new RAID 0 setup. I have the latest RAID drivers from the ASUS site for my MB.

Thanks,
McNubbins
 06/15/2010 02:42 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

You cannot boot from a partition larger than 2TB (2 true TB / 2048 GB, not fake size / 1862 GB).
You should make a small up to 100GB partition for the OS and let the rest be main data storage partition (like 3.6TB).

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information