Topic Title: Changes in 2011 for AMDFROTM
Topic Summary: Opinions and suggestions are welcome here
Created On: 12/11/2010 10:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/11/2010 10:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

Well we are about to enter the next decade (or maybe we already have?) With new CPUs and GPUs from AMD/no-longer ATI. 2011 Promises many new things, and I can only guess new Rigs as well. I have been given the go ahead nod from Immortal Lobster to continue running this venue, and so look forward to doing so in the upcoming year. When I took over early in 2010 we seemed to have an increase in interest in the ROTM thread as the number of votes increased, as well as the number of active participants. I would like to see that trend continue as we enter 2011. In an interest of facilitating that I am going to archive all of the pictures of the 2010 ROTM pictures, and start over with fresh pictures. Many rigs have gone from month to month this year, with out any change. This is OK but after a couple of months they get overlooked, as people are skipping over them. So in the spirit of "out with the old and in with the new" I am going to ask all current contestants to resubmit new pictures of their rigs for the Month of January. We will run these pictures during the 2011 Year.

I will still be taking submissions Via email, however I have made a new email for the contestants of the ROTM, so everyone please PM me for that new address.

I would also like to get some feed back from all the participants, both contestants and those people that are voting. If you have any ideas and suggestions for this competition I would love to hear them.

So let me define the Rules for this just to make them clear.

1) You need to be a member of AMD Forums to compete.

2) Any rig may participate regardless of the included hardware. AMD or Intel Rigs are welcome.

3) Any AMD Forum Member may enter AMD's Forum Rig of the Month contest as many times, with as many Rigs as the member wishes with in a single calender year, (January - December) until that said member Wins 1 (one) Rig of the Month contest. That member's Rig would be automatically entered into the AMD's Forum Rig of the Year contest in the Condition it is in during the month of winning. The member is not eligible to Compete in any further Rig of the Month competitions, Nor will any further pictures be accepted of said Rig until January of the next calendar year.

4) There is a 10 Picture limit for each rig. (Not each member)

5) All submissions must be received by Me by that months cut off date to be entered in that month. Any received after that will be placed into next months thread.

6) All members that want to be Contestants must PM me for instructions on how to get Rig Pictures to me.

7) Everyone can VOTE!! Even if you don't have a rig entered.

8) The winner will earn the right for the badge, runner up his.

January 1st 2011 starts a new year, and with that resets the competition. Everyone can enter, even if they have won ROTM or ROTY in 2010. The same rig may compete again.

So dust off them rigs, break out the cameras, and lets get ready for 2011 AMDFROTM!!!!!

-------------------------

Edited: 12/11/2011 at 12:43 PM by AMD Processors Moderator
 12/11/2010 11:01 AM

Author Icon
pcnazz
Sub Zero

Good job X-tremedreamer , thank you .

Room Temp H20 | 2 Stage Cascade | PH II X6 1090T BE | PH II X2 555 / Asus CH4 v905 | i7 970 / Asus R2E v1914 | Corsair HX1000 1210W | Asus 5970 QF | Corsair Dominator GT 2000 | WD VR 3+0 Raid ( 450gb )
 12/15/2010 10:39 AM

Author Icon
PhilB

Maybe supply a list of voting critera so everyone votes on the same aspects of the computer instead of, that one is pretty.

Could be as simple as: does the computer fit the persons use? how modern are the components? Amazing use of multiple year old components (such as an excessive and stable overclock on an Athlon 2500+)? Custom case work?

Basically open up the field a bit so not only the gamming overclockers are submitting.

Phil
----------
System Specs:

2x Opteron 6128
Asus KGPE-16
8x Kingston 4Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 w/ ECC, Registered, Parity
OCZ Vertex2 50gb (OS)
2x WD Blue 500Gb (Data storage)
PowerColor 5770
3x Viewsonic 19" widescreen at 1680x1050
Coolermaster ATCS-840 case
Coolermaster UCP 1100W
Installed OS: Win2008
VirtualBox OSs: Ubuntu/Fedora/Win2k/WinXp/Dos/Vista (set up to use second keyboard and mouse)
 12/15/2010 10:53 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Great job XD!! We really appreciate your taking this over and providing an excellent service to the members here!! Above and beyond IMHO!!!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 12/15/2010 12:16 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

Originally posted by: PhilB

Maybe supply a list of voting critera so everyone votes on the same aspects of the computer instead of, that one is pretty.

Could be as simple as: does the computer fit the persons use? how modern are the components? Amazing use of multiple year old components (such as an excessive and stable overclock on an Athlon 2500+)? Custom case work?

Basically open up the field a bit so not only the gamming overclockers are submitting.

Hummmm Voting Criteria or judging criteria. An interesting thought. I can see where I need to make it clearer that anyone can enter regardless of what your rig has in it, (though I try to encourage it as much as possible,) I guess judging criteria has been left up to the people that are judging.

Some people may be picking one rig or another based on looks alone or even if they like the owner better then someone else. Personally as a system builder I look at how neat and clean the inside is how cables are routed, and how well air flows in and out of the case. I also look to see if the case has been modded in any way. If someone could show me a system that had all that and was running a i386 machine, they could get my vote......

Anyone else wish to share their judging criteria

01/19/2011 11:45 AM

Author Icon
cq842000
Deprecated

So what are the general judging criteria? Is it the sum of everything, the amount of work that is visibly evident, the scores achieved with said hardware, neatness of the wiring, choice of color coordination? Perhaps it's the brand of hardware used?

MountainMods Ascension | EVGA X58 4xSLI Classified | Intel Core i7 980X | 12 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 | Sapphire Radeon HD6990 + GTX460(PPU)| Antec TPQ 1200 + Antec TPQ 1000
1200mhz/1500mhz GPU-Z Validation
 01/19/2011 11:53 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I think that if we put too many criteria in place it will steer people away from voting....and possibly from participating. I like that fact that I can vote simply based off of my personal opinion on which one I like the most at the time. This is just supposed to be fun and a way for people to show off their rigs that we are all proud of.

...just my two cents.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/19/2011 05:36 PM

Author Icon
cq842000
Deprecated

I was merely curious. I agree that too many criteria might change the general feeling of the competition, but without any base standards with which to measure the validity of the votes I fear that the scores (votes) may be wildly inaccurate or leaning towards bias based on hardware branding or something equally irrelevant ...perish the thought of such a circumstance, but standards versus criteria serve as a peerless safeguard against such complications and lopsided opinions, thereby eliminating the feasibility of a possible irrelevant bias. My aim would be, not to keep people from judging, but to encourage them to support their opinions and compare them against others who might be more qualified to make such assessments. Just my two cents...

MountainMods Ascension | EVGA X58 4xSLI Classified | Intel Core i7 980X | 12 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 | Sapphire Radeon HD6990 + GTX460(PPU)| Antec TPQ 1200 + Antec TPQ 1000
 01/19/2011 05:42 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

True, but I believe that it would be impossible to enforce said standards to any degree thus frustrating the matter further. Merely allowing people to vote as they see fit is the only logical way to go since the voting poll feature only allows for a finite degree of options in which to use.

01/19/2011 05:51 PM

Author Icon
muziqaz
Deprecated

I don't know about you people, but I voted for most badass looking system. For all I know it could be used as a nice paperweight and I wouldn't care

AMD Phenom II X6@3.9ghz<>MSI 890FXA-GD70
8Gb OCZ 1600Mhz cas 7 RAM<>AMD Radeon HD6970
300Gb WD Velociraptor<>2.5Tb HDDs
CM Cosmos S<>Custom cheap watercooling
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit<>32'' 1080p TV
 01/19/2011 06:03 PM

Author Icon
cq842000
Deprecated

So the voting poll wouldnt allow for a faceted alternative, such as..." place your vote for entered forum member> what did you think of wiring? 1-10> what did you think of the general design 1-10> calculate average/display average+ number of votes/poll average.... thank user for voting and encourage them to discuss in the ROTM discussion thread"? I would imagine not, but that was just a rudimentary example of using a couple of loosely enforced standards, and encouraging discussion.

Edited: 01/19/2011 at 06:15 PM by cq842000
 01/19/2011 10:28 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I would try creating a thread and inserting polling in there so that you can see how it works....I don't think that it can be configured as you envision it.

01/22/2011 09:44 AM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

Originally posted by: cq842000

So the voting poll wouldnt allow for a faceted alternative, such as..." place your vote for entered forum member> what did you think of wiring? 1-10> what did you think of the general design 1-10> calculate average/display average+ number of votes/poll average.... thank user for voting and encourage them to discuss in the ROTM discussion thread"? I would imagine not, but that was just a rudimentary example of using a couple of loosely enforced standards, and encouraging discussion.

Polling is not that complex. It is only two windows deep. the first window you name the poll. in this case it is named AMDFROTM. Then I get to add "Answers". Each answer is the name of the contestant. I cant make sub polls for any other considerations. There is also not a way to allow voters to "Rate" an answer.

The only thing I can do different with the polls, is to remove the members name from the Post of each rig. Giving each rig a number and then setting up the poll to match. Then you would not know who's rig it is until voting is over and I disclose who owns Rig # what ever. I don't think that people are making this into a popularity contest, so I don't see how that would change anything.

Policing polls can be a nightmare in the best of conditions, and since I am not a mod I really don't have anyway to do it anyway. This is simply a way for honest us to show what we have and for everyone to vote based on their opinion regardless of their qualifications.

01/23/2011 11:21 AM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

I think it would be a good idea that:
as peoples rigs (and pictures) can roll over from month to month.. that they can use their same rig for the next month and so on..
but that they should message to say they want it carried on to the next month.. and otherwise it will not be re-entered.

also i think there should be an archive thread for every winner there has been so far... (from 2010, 2009 and before)
so you can have a look at the winners rigs

Hit it with a Hammer.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8 ~ 4 Ghz (Cooler Master V8 Heatsink)
Graphics: 2 x HD 5770
RAM: 8 GB (standard clock: PC3-1333)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E (790GX)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX
Case: CM 690 (with custom paint and a 800W PSU)

Edited: 01/23/2011 at 11:51 AM by Bumblebeepee
 01/23/2011 01:06 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

I agree with above, people should say if they want thay'er pics carried over to the next month.

Also I think system spec's should be left out. So rigs can be souly judded on looks and not on the hardware it has.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 01/23/2011 08:43 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

Originally posted by: Bumblebeepee

I think there should be an archive thread for every winner there has been so far... (from 2010, 2009 and before) so you can have a look at the winners rigs

I like that idea, However I would only be able to provide pictures of the Winners as far back to when I took over. I am not totally sure but I think this started in the middle of '09.

Originally posted by: SlayerX
Also I think system spec's should be left out. So rigs can be souly judded on looks and not on the hardware it has.

That is kinda the opposite of what I was thinking of trying. Some judge without considering the hardware in the rig, and others do. Giving everyone the choice I think is important.

There has been some discussion on the team skype about allowing a 500 word bio on the entered machine. This would allow for members to give a brief description of the work that was involved.

01/24/2011 06:56 PM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

if the computer is rated on looks only ill just post my old netbook motherboard that was fitted inside a Furby..
the mix of computer spec and looks makes it a more open competition.

Hit it with a Hammer.
 01/27/2011 02:56 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

Originally posted by: Bumblebeepee

if the computer is rated on looks only ill just post my old netbook motherboard that was fitted inside a Furby..

the mix of computer spec and looks makes it a more open competition.

lol a netfurby............ Perfect entry..........

02/19/2011 10:57 AM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

On a related note... where's the AMDFROTM for Feb, or is it going to be March now?

Hit it with a Hammer.
 02/19/2011 12:25 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Okay...okay...jez, It was just an idea.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)

Edited: 02/25/2011 at 10:43 AM by SlayerX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information