AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: LCD monitors anger me. I also just ordered one.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/11/2011 09:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/11/2011 09:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

I've been playing Shogun II Total War so first... A haiku.

The pervasive grays
Eager to read documents
I miss CRT

That aside, CHRIST! Picking out an LCD is annoying. Firstly, the fact that the matte screens usually have washed out blacks really annoys me. Not only that but the whole backlight bleed from certain angles is REALLY annoying. Every TN panel I've seen has it and gray-blacks.

Secondly, the idea that everything has to be 1080P and thus 16:9 is ridiculous. People like to read PDFs and articles, why would some extra vertical panel change ANYTHING for movies? Its not scaling to compensate for that!

Thirdly, the asinine contrast ratio for TN panels. I do not need to explain why contrast ratios baffle me, again, its a bunch of marketing junk. The lack of VA panels at affordable prices as well is a bunch of marketing crap. I don't care what anyone says, a VA panel honestly is the best idea to sate both groups of people.

The DESIGNS. Oh god the DESIGNS. I don't want a glossy piece of plastic crap sitting atop my Harman Kardon HK3390 and in between my Yamaha NS-333's which actually have a PIANO grade finish, not paint, so they don't actually pick up grime/fingerprints like glossy plastic does. Nor does dust stick to them strongly. What the hell kind of stand is that?
Who is deciding circular bases is a good idea?
It goes on.

Ghosting... I don't even know what to say about this. So many people whine about minor ghosting that its a joke. Then there are those who don't care like me.

So now I made my purchase

The HPzr22W.

I was angry that TVs in stores looked "more real than life". I learned that most of those use IPS panels. I decided to spring $268 for a 21.5" S-IPS panel monitor. I wanted somewhat deep blacks. I wanted good color. I wanted eye popping color actually. I wanted a simple design. I wanted a base that could stand strong on my HK3390. I wanted a stand that could switch from portrait to landscape when I have to read very long PDFs. I think I'm going to be happy.

I bought it from Buy.com with a $10 coupon and after shipping (I wanted it by this week so got the standard $8 instead of the free one), it came out to $268. I could wait some more days since Amazon had it for $308 (I buy EVERYTHING I can from Amazon if its even a few bucks more just because I like my student prime membership). It should come by Saturday, hopefully earlier. Anyways, I will review it when I can. I'll probably have to upgrade my HD4830 and finally get a quad core considering the resolution is a bit larger but I'll do that later on.

I also bought a Panasonic ER224S beard trimmer and a set of Kicking Horse Cliffhanger Espresso coffee beans from Amazon with a gift card I won from Asus. I think you guys can tell, I've got a job and am finally upgrading some of my stuff.

I'm also a Jalop (Jalopnik.com) so I'm somewhat putting pictures with everything. On a final note, I might be acquiring a Datsun 240z in May. If I do, I will be documenting a restoration and I'm pretty sure its still "General Technology Chat" related!

-------------------------
zzzap!
 04/12/2011 12:44 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

LED + TN = Very Acceptable. Also, personally I prefer the matte screens, no glare!

As to finish... yeah, they're all glossy anymore, if they're not glossy, it's usually a crap monitor. However, I've always like LGs designs. Samsungs latest look good too. Aside from the base.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/12/2011 02:12 AM

Author Icon
ed6698
Overclocker

Good choice on the monitor. I have always liked Hp monitors. I have the HP2408h and like it. I got it a couple years ago and have had no real issues with it. Seems that all lcds have some sort of issue, but this seemed to be my best choice then. Went to a few brick and mortor stores and the HP always seemed to stand out from the rest. I ended up getting one and a few friends ended up getting it too. Everyone that see's the monitor for the first time always say, "wow" look at that screen. Best thing about it is, zero dead pixels, first time I ever bought one without any at all from what I can see. Awesome for gaming also. If they still made this model I would get another. They are still available, but the markup is more then what I paid a couple years ago.

Review
 04/12/2011 05:42 AM

Author Icon
Wasper
Lurker

Originally posted by: Royal Flush

I'm also a Jalop (Jalopnik.com) so I'm somewhat putting pictures with everything. On a final note, I might be acquiring a Datsun 240z in May. If I do, I will be documenting a restoration and I'm pretty sure its still "General Technology Chat" related!

Nice! Love that site.. still can't get used to the format change they did a little while back though. I usually stop by there and then head over to bringatrailer.com to see what nice car is up for sale. Datsun 240z's are sweet man... Do me a favor, if it comes with an extra set of rims and yer looking to offload them, let me know... they are the perfect size/offset for my 1977 MGB, lol.

Oh, and nice monitor

Rig#1: Crosshair IV | PIIx6 1090T | Xigmatek Gaia | HD 6950 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 | HEC Case | Silverstone 750w | 5x GELID 120mm Fans

Rig#2: K9A Platinum | 64x2 6000+ |Freezer 64 Pro | HD 4850 | 2GB DDR2 800 | Rosewill Case | Corsair 550w | 3x 120mm Fans
 04/12/2011 06:27 AM

Author Icon
aus-amdfan
Deprecated

nice choice on the monitor and gotta love the 240z datsun .i use to own a mercedes benz 1977 450 se sold it for $50 not knowing what it was worth and later on found it in a unique cars catalouge going for 30 000 bucks it was the worst decession i ever made especially since id put a dvd deck and 7inch screen and gps in it and had fixed the elecricals myself .they just dont make cars like they use to

p.s i think its genaral tech chat to ad the 240z. should start a classic car post in the forum

amd fx-8120 powercolor 6970 @890mhz
g-skill ripjaw x 1866mhz 16gig
asus ch5
2x corsair force 3 ssds in raid (2 x 60g)
2 xwd 500g sata 3 hdds in raid 1.10
 04/12/2011 07:33 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

PLEASE document the restoration! I LOVE Datsun Z's and hope to one day own one!

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 04/12/2011 10:06 AM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

MGB's and Datson's... are you guys kidding? Those aren't cars.. their dinky toys.
71 Challanger now theres a real car

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 04/12/2011 11:53 AM

Author Icon
Wasper
Lurker

Originally posted by: SlayerX

MGB's and Datson's... are you guys kidding? Those aren't cars.. their dinky toys.

Ack! I just died a little inside..... hehe

Rig#1: Crosshair IV | PIIx6 1090T | Xigmatek Gaia | HD 6950 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 | HEC Case | Silverstone 750w | 5x GELID 120mm Fans

Rig#2: K9A Platinum | 64x2 6000+ |Freezer 64 Pro | HD 4850 | 2GB DDR2 800 | Rosewill Case | Corsair 550w | 3x 120mm Fans
 04/12/2011 12:23 PM

Author Icon
Trevayne10
B1FF

Nice post. Agree with you 100% re: LCD panels.

Absolutely LOVE the Datsun 240Z. I have since they first came out in 1970 (when I was in 5th grade).

Here's a 240Z, into which some nincompoop put a Corvette Z06 5.7L (350 cu. in.) supercharged V8 (ruined it, basically, imho) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSJVi1mPjZQ , probably around 610 hp. Ridiculous.

If you HAVE to soup up a 240Z, Put a nice, tame 327/365 Chevy small block V8 in it; you'll be happy as a pig in slop. (Keep the original Datsun inline 6 mill, of course!)

http://www.phoenixengine.com/Chevy-24.html - 327/365 hp engine, $4295 USD. W00t.

Oooh, oooh! 1971 Datsun 240Z, in RACING GREEN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F...sun_240Z_Series_I.jpg

<Drool!>
 04/13/2011 05:22 AM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

drop a small block into 240Z...that thing would be just scary...I love it

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 04/13/2011 07:49 AM

Author Icon
infiltrator
Linux Ninja

Datsuns! woot - those are great - had a Datsun 140Z but had to sell it when I came to the UK. Good reliable cars those!

As for screens - my next screen purchase will prob be the Apple 27inch to go with my macbook pro. But there's too much other stuff I want before that - for now my Viewsonic VA2010wb will have to do!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/13/2011 03:57 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

nomnomnomnom .............. IPS ......

I dropped some coin on a Dell Ultra Sharp 27" LCD monitor. There is nothing, and I mean nothing that comes remotely close to the color depth, clarity and sharpness of an IPS monitor.

A while back I replaced my Girlfriends 19" CRT with a 22.5 HD Widescreen (1080P) LED LCD. I was astounded on the brightness, and color of it compared to my (then) 22" Widescreen HD (1080i) CCFL LCD........

Granted IPS is more expensive then TN. IMO Worth every stinking penny........

04/13/2011 10:55 PM

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

Datsun Speak:

Won't come with extra wheels, comes with a nitrous tank system that I'm going to throw out. I have no desire for nitrous lmao. It has a triple weber jet system on the L24 engine and I plan on keeping the Inline-6 for a while. I want to keep it pretty stock for now with just bodykit parts that are necessary to make it pretty aerodynamic. I want to get the Gnose and flare kit because the 240ZG is the most aerodynamic of them all, while still being "stock" as it was a Japanese option. Then in the future, most likely, I will drop in a 289 Ford V8 in there just because I'm a Ford > Chevy anyday kinda guy. Plus the 289 was used in the AC Cobra, nuff said! I would get a Triumph/MG/etc, but I want something simple to work on, reliable, and I'm able to get the 240z at a steal since its a family friend's who has no purpose with it since he bought a Lexus IS and doesn't "feel" the Z since he can't afford to replace certain broken parts. I will make a thread if/when I get it for sure and let my photography bud document the work with images galore. As for paint, its already red which I kind of like but I want to make it White with glossy black gnose kit flares and whatnot, or a kind of british racing green. Black is far too boring and looks better on real muscle cars.

Monitor Speak:
I've been yearning to get that "Realer than life" picture and I think an IPS will provide it. The Dell UltraSharp 27" is actually a class above a deal of the S-IPS monitors so I'm not expecting mindblowing images but I am expecting much more eye blazing quality. The Apple Cinema Displays are nice but I can't deal with a glossy screen since my 12 feet ceilings or so have double windows that love to blare the sun in my room.

Wasper: Have you tried Canada Jalopnik? Lmao. ca.jalopnik.com is the classic layout that works/updated currently most of the time. I usually use that one now, I REALLY HATED the change.

Beard Trimmer:
Man this ho works GOOD. Didn't even tug at one of my hairs and I shave with a 1939 razor with carbon blades for a reason! Regular Mach whatevers just cause ingrowns and can't cut clean enough. Also makes keeping the sideburns and whatnot look really neat and tidy, the integrated comb is simply amazing.

Coffee:
Very clean cup with obvious cocoa notes. Whoever said its "Medium" was smoking crack though. It was still arguably, the best dark roasted coffee I've ever tasted, which says a lot since I hate dark roasts. No char/ash taste at all.

zzzap!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information