Increase font size
Topic Title: Radeon 5770 HDMI audio questions
Topic Summary: A few questions about splitting audio and video
Created On: 07/20/2011 03:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/20/2011 03:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
alanwescoat
Lurker

I'm seriously considering adding a Radeon 5770 to my system. First, I'm an audiophile, and the specs on AMD's site for the card are insufficient for me to be completely confident that the card will meet my audio needs.

1. Does the card support a full 24-bit 192Khz rate for all channels of a 7.1 system?

Next is the issue that I like to listen to completely different audio sources when I'm on the computer so running the HDMI for both audio and video to my receiver and back to the monitor is out of the question since HDMI's ridiculous security protocols make separating audio and video streams impossible. This is an unfortunate retardation of what would otherwise be a great technology (aside from the obnoxious wait for "handshaking"). My intended workaround would be to feed the HDMI into my receiver and feed DVI to the monitor.

2. If I send HDMI to my receiver and DVI to my monitor, will it just work, do I have to tweak some setting with the driver, or is this just not possible?
 07/20/2011 07:42 AM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Why don't you just get a sound card if all your looking for is good sound.

Anyways to answer your question no, you can't use both the HDMI and the DVI ports at the same time. But you can disable the audio in HDMI and use the onboard audio or a sound card.

-------------------------
PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 07/20/2011 08:01 AM

Author Icon
alanwescoat
Lurker

Thanks for the response. It seems odd to me that a card that can support Eye-finity can't send identical video signals both through HDMI and DVI at the same time, but I haven't bought an ATI or AMD product in a really long time, which is why I asked. It's not just superb sound that I want. The system's bottleneck is in the GPU. I eventually want an Eye-Finity setup as well. I'm currently running an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB, and that just isn't cutting it along with the fact that I can get a card with a massive heat sink instead of a fan for a much quieter PC. For sound, I already have an Auzentech X-plosion 7.1, but going HDMI for the audio would eliminate about ten pounds of analog cabling and two switch boxes from my computer/audio system. The sound card can only feed S/PDIF to the video card which results in a tremendously reduced level of audio quality as compared to the signals sent from the analog outputs in addition to the loss of any rear-channel signals (because that particular connection maxes out at 5.1 as opposed to 7.1).
 07/20/2011 08:06 AM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

A 1: yes, it'll support 24bit, 192khz,

A 2: the monitor out has to be through HDMI for sound out through HDMI to work, (sound wont output without the video)

And finally, if you like your high quality sound, use a good sound card,

i use 2x, HD5770's for video, and a Xonar DX for the sound (through optical),

Hit it with a Hammer.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8 ~ 4 Ghz (Cooler Master V8 Heatsink)
Graphics: 2 x HD 5770
RAM: 8 GB (standard clock: PC3-1333)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E (790GX)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX
Case: CM 690 (with custom paint and a 800W PSU)
 07/20/2011 05:05 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

HDMI audio in a PC is still suffering from driver-blight as far as I know. An HDMI signal should be an HDMI signal no matter if it's used in a computer, a gaming console, a receiver or anything else. I doubt it's a hardware thing that is holding things up. So yeah... sound cards are going to stick around for at least a little while longer.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Edited: 07/20/2011 at 05:48 PM by Mime
 07/20/2011 06:09 PM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

An option that could be used if you only use one desktop, is to, clone or mirror the DVI output through HDMI, so the monitor can run though DVI, and the sound will still output through HDMI,
Though i'd still recommend a good quality sound card instead, (if you have a spare pci / pci-e connection).

Hit it with a Hammer.
 07/20/2011 07:54 PM

Author Icon
alanwescoat
Lurker

Thanks to all who responded. So what I'm getting is that while I might be able to do what I want, as an audiophile the GPU is no substitute for a good sound card. I kind of figured that since the specs for the 5770 on no website touted the sound capabilities as particularly superb. Usually when a feature for a computer component is merely mentioned rather than particularly described, it's lackluster at best. For the sound quality I want, I guess I'm stuck with the Auzentech's analog outputs which sound superb. I wonder if there's any difference in processing between sources like Blu-ray and HD FLAC or game audio. The Blu-ray should pass a perfect signal that doesn't need to be processed and so should transmit flawlessly while the program decoding FLAC or most especially game audio may be relying on sound-card-type hardware to recreate the audio, in which case the sound chip on the video card is probably not especially capable for such tasks.

Bumblebeepee's last post indicates a possibility that I thought might work, i.e., set up the card for dual monitor through both HDMI and DVI with an identical signal for each (as opposed to an extended desktop). Something similar to this seems to work currently on my system. I have HDMI coming directly from the GPU to the monitor, and HDMI coming from my AVR to the monitor. When I play some of my DVD-Audio disks, I have to momentarily switch to HDMI input from the AVR so that I can set the disk's playback to HD surround. I then reset the monitor to receive HDMI input from the GPU instead. The sound cuts out for a few seconds, but then continues to play perfectly. Hence, I don't even need to have a monitor attached to my receiver to hear HD audio through my AVR (a Denon AVR-1610).
 07/20/2011 10:17 PM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

ooh, the dennon is a nice system, what speakers are you using with that?
Im currently using a Sony STRDH810 from the Xonar DX sound card, through optical,
(and with the post before, if the output is cloned / duplicated for both outputs, you shouldn't have to switch outputs)

Hit it with a Hammer.
 07/21/2011 05:19 AM

Author Icon
alanwescoat
Lurker

The speaker system is all Klipsch. Synergy B-3s for the front, Quintet for center, side, and rear surround, and a Sub-12.

Just so everyone is clear about my real question...

When I'm using my computer, I'm usually listening to music on my turntable or off DVD Audio from my Denon DVD-1920, or cassette or reel to reel. Sometimes I make use of digital audio from my computer.
Now, if I run the HDMI from my GPU into the AVR and then back to the monitor, then any time I switch audio sources, I will lose the computer video signal, which is nonsense but also the unfortunate reality that unsplittable HDMI has created with its security protocols. I need to be able to freely switch audio sources while maintaining an uninterrupted video signal from my computer to my monitor.

What I'm doing right now is running the HDMI from the GPU directly to the monitor and running analog 7.1 audio to the AVR along with a stereo cable running back from the AVR into the stereo input for the computer (for recording). It sounds great, but I have a cabling mess that I'd sooner do away with. This is further complicated by the fact that the 7.1 analog cabling is actually running into two 5-channel RCA switch boxes. This is because I only have one set of 7.1 analog jacks, and I need to run 5.1 analog audio cables from my DVD player to enable playback of SACD DSD audio. So it's 5 stereo mini-jack cables running off the back of the computer to five female-female mini-jack connectors to five cables that split from the five mini jacks to ten mono RCA cables running into two five-channel switch boxes along with six RCA mono cables running from the DVD player into the same switch boxes with ten RCA mono cables running from the switch boxes into the AVR (whew!).

Yes, this all works perfectly, but it's nonsense created by Sony's terror that people can copy HD audio either from SACD or Blu-ray. When my DVD player was manufactured, Sony wouldn't allow SACD DSD signals to be transmitted over HDMI thus necessitating the use of analog cables. HDMI can't split video and audio for similar protection reasons and so while I can accomplish setting up a system that does exactly what I want it to do...the raw amount of cabling necessary to pull it off is just utterly stupid. This problem has absolutely nothing to do with technological capacity and everything to do with inconsistent development of copy-protection schemes and absolute insensitivity to what consumers actually want. I'm actually pretty sure that all of this effort to copy protect HD audio is the primary reason that HD audio has all but utterly failed to catch on in the consumer marketplace.

Basically, I had wanted to clean up my cabling mess with a single HDMI cable running to the AVR and one DVI cable running to the monitor. While it appears that I can do this, what I'm getting is that the sound quality from the particular video card I'm considering (possibly all video cards) will likely be inadequate to satisfy me, something I had failed to consider since I had though that HDMI audio simply is what it is and quality should have nothing to do with the hardware that passes it to the AVR.
 07/21/2011 08:47 AM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

The best solution is if you have a spare PCI or PCI-e slot in your computer, use it for a good quality sound card
And i would recommend connecting it though optical (as there will be no deterioration in sound, rather than though standard phono cable)

Your Dennon A/V receiver, should have programmable input/output selectors, just program it to use HDMI from the pc as the video source, with the different audio selections changing for different channel selections.

Hit it with a Hammer.
 07/21/2011 11:22 AM

Author Icon
alanwescoat
Lurker

It's not possible to select an HDMI source for video with a different source for audio through an HDMI-compliant receiver. That's the sick nature of HDMI. I already have a really good sound card, though. The optical only outputs 16-bit 48Khz in 5.1, which is why I'm using the analog outs to get the full width of the 24-bit 192Khz 7.1 of Blu-ray through the sound card's DAC. The analog is overwhelmingly superior to the optical.
 07/22/2011 08:30 AM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

It works perfectly fine for my A/V receiver, i can mix & match HDMI with optical, coaxial, phono, etc.
I would of thought it would work for yours too as it has programmable selections.

Hit it with a Hammer.
 07/22/2011 09:49 AM

Author Icon
alanwescoat
Lurker

I'm curious as to which AVR you are using. My Denon AVR-1910 allows me to mix separate audio and video and send them as HDMI, but if the input is HDMI, I can't mix in a different audio source.
 07/22/2011 01:02 PM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

I'm using a Sony STRDH810, the Xbox and the Pc are the only things through it that use HDMI,
I usually mix the Xbox through HDMI with audio from pc through optical,.
or to use the pc's HDMI for video and pc sound through optical,
or the Xbox video through HDMI and Xbox sound through optical
(ive noticed a slightly improved sound quality from audio sourced via optical)

Hit it with a Hammer.
 07/25/2011 05:56 PM

Author Icon
monte84
Elite

My 6950 does 24bit 192KHz. Plus it will passthrough DTS and DD. It sounds just as good as my X-Fi bravura before it passed away (through optical). no DDL or DTS Connect support however. using HDMI into my Denon AVR-590. with 4 Sony bookshelfs and center. Klipsh Synergy 12 sub.

Phenom II X 1055T @3.64Ghz 1.425V
NB @ 2800Mhz HTT @ 2800Mhz
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 1866 8-8-8-24-33-1T
AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB GDDR5 shaders @1536 OC to 840/1300

Edited: 07/25/2011 at 08:10 PM by monte84
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information