Topic Title: hardrive prices
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/05/2011 05:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/05/2011 05:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mbjbdc
Overclocker

anybody else notice healthy price increase in hardrive lately?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...ame=400GB%20-%20900GB

http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...%3B17_791_47515_47515
a month ago i picked up a 500gb hardrive for 50.00

-------------------------
Biostar TA-990FXE-Extreme
amd-fx8120 @3.7 1.2750 V
corsair ddr3-1866 16GB
ocz-vertex3-240
windows 8 rtm
 11/05/2011 09:20 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I would have said no, then I looked at my drives.

I have 2 Seagate XT's 2TB, Ipaid $130 per. Now at newegg... $250!
I have a Seagate LP 2TB, I paid $80. Now $90-100.
I have a WDC Green, paid $90, now $115.

*****?

Glad I bought when I bought. but the increase in price of the XT's have me staggering backwards!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/05/2011 10:04 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Flood in Thailand...knocked out a factory that made like..80% of all hard drive motors. Which is completely just what I HEARD. Haven't actually looked into it. Ha.

But yeah, prices are doubling. It's ridiculous. For stupid hard drives!

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 11/05/2011 10:16 PM

Author Icon
mbjbdc
Overclocker

here is a link to some flood pictures
http://www.brightsideofnews.co...n-digital-factory.aspx

Biostar TA-990FXE-Extreme
amd-fx8120 @3.7 1.2750 V
corsair ddr3-1866 16GB
ocz-vertex3-240
windows 8 rtm
 11/06/2011 01:33 AM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Originally posted by: technic58

Flood in Thailand...knocked out a factory that made like..80% of all hard drive motors. Which is completely just what I HEARD. Haven't actually looked into it. Ha.

More of a reason to switch to SSD's. no motor's

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 11/06/2011 10:08 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Originally posted by: SlayerX

Too bad the prices are still laughable.

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 11/06/2011 10:54 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

x2

Now you have to remember, some of these guys don'tknow what it's like to struggle to save for this stuff. They'll just come here and bash he poor old hard drives, and tellus that they suck, and that SSDs rule, and then laugh at us when we say say phrases like $/GB

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/06/2011 11:46 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I work at a computer place...and we had a sort of tech show earlier last week. My boss had asked the Intel rep what this crisis was going to do to SSD prices. Though it'd be nice for the SSD prices to come down as a result of more people buying them, it sounds like they just aren't ready for the demand yet. So if anything, they will go up, at least in the short term.

Supply and demand. Lol.

I always toy with buying a really small SSD for my laptop. But even then, you have to go out of your price range to buy a newer, faster, more reliable one. We'll see. I'm rooting for SSD's, or something like them. It's embarrassing how long we have depended on hard drives for data storage.

EDIT: If you want a nice $/GB number, look at RAM prices! I should have grabbed that G. Skill the other week. Around 30 bucks for 2x4GB of DDR3 laptop RAM! Sheesh!!

11/06/2011 11:46 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Case Modder

Now you have to remember, some of these guys don'tknow what it's like to struggle to save for this stuff. They'll just come here and bash he poor old hard drives, and tellus that they suck, and that SSDs rule, and then laugh at us when we say say phrases like $/GB

No not at all... It just baffles me that people still equate HDDs to SSDs... they really don't have the same uses. It's like comparing apples to oranges. If you want the best single boost to system performance, than NOTHING can beat an SSD. And the cost of that boost in system performance is not that high. Also if the SSD is used properly, the size of them is not a problem. I still have 50GB of free space on my 74GB SSD RAID0.

If ALL things are factored in, the bang for your buck is really quite good for an SSD. How much added performance would I get if I upgraded my current CPU and spent $250 or more? How much of a boost would I get by upgrading my RAM? or GPU? (games notwithstanding)... You can get a cheap SSD for less than $100 that will do wonders for a system that nothing else can.

An SSD is not a replacement for an HDD. And all you guys and gals that keep quoting $/GB or any other stats just don't get that fact. In the past 2 years, how much have you guys spent on upgrades to CPU, RAM and GPU? And how much has your system really increased in performance?

Now before you slam me, I do understand that Gaming is a different beast, and if you use your system for Gaming 90% of the time then those upgrades may have made more sense. But how much of your system time is for Gaming?

Anyway, just my two pennies.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 C2 (140W).||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:HIS IceQ 5 Radeon HD 5770 Turbo 1GB.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
Drive: 2xKingston SSD 40GB RAID0.||.Storage: 6TB (4x500GB Caviar Black RAID0, 2TB Hitachi & 2TB Caviar Green)
 11/06/2011 11:55 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Good post, QB. True that CPU upgrades are hardly worth the $$.

I kind of want to look into RAMdisks and how those work. If anyone could shed any light on that, that would be awesome.

I mean suppose you have 16GB RAM, which nowadays isn't expensive at all, and like 13GB of it is never doing nothing. Section it off for a RAMdisk, store oft-used data there, would be much faster than an SSD, right?

I don't know much about it. Haha.

11/06/2011 12:51 PM

Author Icon
cvsi3
Elite

I believe ram disks are faster the ssd, but i may be wrong. Yes ram is crazy fast.
But i dont think you can section it off, any one i have seen was and actual card (pcie) with ram slots it in. It has a battery or some sort of power source thats always on so it can keep the info active in the ram. The problem i can see with them is that they are limited to the size of chips, I know they are producing 8GB ram chips now for consumer use, But even then your still limited on how much it can hold.

Edit: I just did a quick google on one, Gigabyte made one some time ago that ran DDR2 memory limited to 4GB, and had read/write of about 130MB/s, So maybe they are not as fast.

i7 2600K - Asus Maximus Extreme-Z - G.Skill DDR3 2133 CL9 - MSI 5870 - Corsair 1200w PSU - 2 x Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 - Swiftech Apogee XT Water Block - Swiftech MCP655 Pump - 120mm Quad Rad - Windows 7 - Ubuntu x64

5311Mhz Validation
 11/06/2011 02:58 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

x2

First I agree with you guy's the $/Gb of these SSD's is insane and that what keeping me from buying one.

second, I'm not bashing HDDs (I'm still using them and will be using them for a long time yet.) but SDD's are superior in preformance and endurance, but it dose come at a price.

Oh, and I do know what its like to struggle to save up for this stuff.
I've been trying to save up for a new mobo for the last four months
and every time I turn around something else pops up and there gose the money.

But thats life.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 11/06/2011 11:27 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Not sure anybody in their right mind would ever suggestthat SSDs arenotsuperior in performance, just cost.

The other issue I have, and this stems back to an old PITA I had.
I used to have this great hard drive,a Quantum Bigfoot TS, 6.4GB. Great drive, and due to it's huge platter, (5.25" Drive), it had a low rpm, but retained modest access times to the rotation of the largedisc on the edge. It wasn't until I bought a 60GB Caviar 7200rpm drive that I could find a drivethat felt as fast and snappy. Anyway, I gad a "C" Driveof 6.4GB for years, and a larger D Drive. that was a pain in the neck. I didn't have the patience forit then, and I certainyl don't have it now.

The SSDs provide the same situation, and I refuse to go back to a 12 year old problem!

I tossed the idea out one day... what if I put it ina Jbod array, and defrag the disc so it scedules hiher priority to the SSD, and all else to the HDD. I was prompty shot down. told ithad something to do with scheduling and how SSDs and HDDs simply didn't play well in raid. Solve that problem and I'd jumpall over a smaller SSD.

outside of that, Ican't afford to drop 3k on a collosus.

11/06/2011 11:28 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

The pricing thing is the same with components when the earthquake hit Japan, plenty of people in the electronics manufacturing fields hit a rough patch when the lines in Japan went down.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

11/07/2011 07:41 PM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

An 6.4Gb C drive!
by god, the size of it!
had an 1.9Gb disc for my ye olde win98
(66mhz IBM cpu, 32mb ram, 4 mb graphics card, yay.)

Hit it with a Hammer.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8 ~ 4 Ghz (Cooler Master V8 Heatsink)
Graphics: 2 x HD 5770
RAM: 8 GB (standard clock: PC3-1333)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E (790GX)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX
Case: CM 690 (with custom paint and a 800W PSU)
 11/07/2011 11:11 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Originally posted by: Bumblebeepee

An 6.4Gb C drive!

by god, the size of it!

had an 1.9Gb disc for my ye olde win98

(66mhz IBM cpu, 32mb ram, 4 mb graphics card, yay.)

That was an upgrade from a 1.6GB drive, which replaced a 480MB drive. soooo.... yeah. lol

11/08/2011 05:11 AM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

oh the memories.
and to still know how to put a 24mb drive into a apple 7.
(funny how in 20 years drives have gone from 2Gb to 2Tb...
or 30 years from the 2Mb drives)

Hit it with a Hammer.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8 ~ 4 Ghz (Cooler Master V8 Heatsink)
Graphics: 2 x HD 5770
RAM: 8 GB (standard clock: PC3-1333)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E (790GX)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX
Case: CM 690 (with custom paint and a 800W PSU)
 11/08/2011 08:08 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Never messed with the apples. First PC I had was an old x286 boat anchor.

First PC I truly had the fun of messing with and overclocking was an old Trigem, with a 75Mhz Pentium. Which became a 133Mhz Pentium, then a 233Mhz Pentium MMX, then a 200Mhz K6-2. and thus the road began. lol

By the time I retired that board, I had 128MB of ram on it, the AMD K6-2 was OCed to about 266mhz, or two jumper settings high IIRC. a 3Dfx Voodoo3, and a sound blaster 16, and that Bigfoot TS drive above. woohoo!

11/08/2011 09:27 AM

Author Icon
dabob79
Deprecated

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

Not sure anybody in their right mind would ever suggestthat SSDs arenotsuperior in performance, just cost.

The other issue I have, and this stems back to an old PITA I had.

I used to have this great hard drive,a Quantum Bigfoot TS, 6.4GB. Great drive, and due to it's huge platter, (5.25" Drive), it had a low rpm, but retained modest access times to the rotation of the largedisc on the edge. It wasn't until I bought a 60GB Caviar 7200rpm drive that I could find a drivethat felt as fast and snappy. Anyway, I gad a "C" Driveof 6.4GB for years, and a larger D Drive. that was a pain in the neck. I didn't have the patience forit then, and I certainyl don't have it now.

The SSDs provide the same situation, and I refuse to go back to a 12 year old problem!

I tossed the idea out one day... what if I put it ina Jbod array, and defrag the disc so it scedules hiher priority to the SSD, and all else to the HDD. I was prompty shot down. told ithad something to do with scheduling and how SSDs and HDDs simply didn't play well in raid. Solve that problem and I'd jumpall over a smaller SSD.

outside of that, Ican't afford to drop 3k on a collosus.

The answer to your problem is easily solved with windows. In my case, I have a 64GB SSD system drive and a 2TB storage drive. All my storage is is either videos, pictures, or music, which is stored in the My Music, My Videos, and My Pictures folders. You can easily set windows to change the location of those folders so everything you save there is saved right to the larger drive, without any extra effort. I've even got my favorites, links, and even my desktop set to the larger drive, so any program that I use that accesses those folders saves and reads from that drive. I don't understand what's so difficult about that?

BTW, this is my first SSD and I have to say I absolutely LOVE it!! My HTPC boots in 8 seconds flat, ready to watch movies on faster than my blu-ray player AND my PS3!!!

Phenom II X2 555 B.E. Unlocked to X4 @ 3.4GHz
ASUS M4A887-M/USB 3 Micro ATX MB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws @1600Mhz, 7-7-7-21
Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 Graphics Card
Crucial 64GB SATA III SSD
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PS
Silverstone HTPC Case
 11/08/2011 09:28 AM

Author Icon
dabob79
Deprecated

My first PC that even HAD a hard drive was a 286 40 MHz system with a 40Mb hard drive. That's right that's MEGA-byte!! I had DOS on there, a couple games... and STILL had 10 megs left!!! lol

Phenom II X2 555 B.E. Unlocked to X4 @ 3.4GHz
ASUS M4A887-M/USB 3 Micro ATX MB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws @1600Mhz, 7-7-7-21
Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 Graphics Card
Crucial 64GB SATA III SSD
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PS
Silverstone HTPC Case

Edited: 11/08/2011 at 09:37 AM by dabob79
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information