Increase font size
Topic Title: Soyo KT400 Dragon Motherboard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/30/2012 05:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/30/2012 05:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Hey all,

Have a little blast from the past for a few of you. I was in volunteering today at the computer place and noticed a lot of newish-looking computers sitting in the "to be recycled" pile. I was a little curious so I opened one of them up. They were Athlon XP 2600+ based boxes, all with Soyo KT400 Dragon motherboards. I was pretty interested at first because I had never seen a silver motherboard before. I have to admit, it was pretty sweet!

In the spirit of saving something from the junk pile, I was about to ask why these had all been places there.

That's when I remembered stories about people "re-capping" Soyo Dragon boards, and I took a closer look. Sure enough, all of the boards had bulging caps around the CPU socket, some more than others. The PCs had been used commercially, so I'm sure they were causing all kinds of headaches for the company.

Had the caps not been so bad, or had I had some skills in removing and adding new caps, I may have saved one. It really did look spectacular, and the CPU's all had pretty beefy coolers on them as well.

Sigh.

Now here's a quick question---I seem to remember people overclocking with these boards, however, they have VIA chipsets. I didn't think VIA chipsets had PCI/AGP/IDE/etc locks on them? Or did they begin to put them on with higher end chipsets?

Yes I know, I could easily google and find the answer, but I figured I'd start a discussion on here instead with anyone who cares. Gosh. I feel like computers just used to be more fun!

Tech

-------------------------
My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 05/30/2012 06:25 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Yeah I think remember that. For some reason VIA was stuck in the cold and lonely world of dividers, and didn't implement a real PCI lock until way late.

You could always grab one anyway, and do something like this...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/supplies/3226

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 05/31/2012 12:18 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Soyo no longer makes main boards, they bailed out of the business when Abit was sued in a class action lawsuit for bad caps.

PS remember the scheme they used for the chipsets, IIRC the KT400 was only good for 333 mhz fsb, while the KT600 was for 400 mhz fsb, man there were a lot of irate people on the forums here and elsewhere.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

06/02/2012 06:31 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Abit was sued for bad caps? This is news to me. I feel like you could sue many board manufacturers for bad caps...

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 06/03/2012 05:06 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_abit

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

06/26/2012 04:11 AM

Author Icon
Athlonuser
Overclocker

those are awesome looking motherboards...those would really look cool under UV Lights

Desktop: AMD Opteron 170 2.7ghz OC, 440gb HDD space (3 HDDs in RAID-0), 4GB RAM, Hec X Power Pro 600W PSU, Gigabyte GTX 260 OC, two dvd burners, HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 N5040, Core i3 380M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
 06/27/2012 09:27 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Agreed!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information