Increase font size
Topic Title: Webcam problem
Topic Summary: PC reboots when starting LOGITECH webcam
Created On: 06/28/2012 07:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/28/2012 07:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Papipio
Lurker

Bonjour,

I bought a C270 LOGITECH webcam for a friend, he owns a well performing COMPAQ desktop PC / Windows XP, equipped with a RADEON 9200 graphic card. Each time I try to use the webcam with any application the PC reboots.
With my ASUS desktop PC / Windows XP, my C300 Logitech webcam works perfectly, so do my friend's C270 webcam.
With my friend's desktop PC both webcams cause the same problem.
I contacted the LOGITECH support team who finally told me that the problem comes from the RADEON 9200 graphic card or from the COMPAQ motherboard ...

So, what can I do for the RADEON 9200 graphic card in order to not reboot the PC when I try to use the webcam ?

(I already updated everything suggested by LOGITECH, I reinstalled the LOGITECH drivers. I was also said that the graphic card drivers are up to date.)

Cordialement,

Pierre
 06/28/2012 07:44 AM

Author Icon
Hardwood
Case Modder

Honestly, the computer you're describing is what.. about 9 generations old for the video, about 4 generations for the OS and likely just as bad for the cpu/ram.
It's net worth is about 50 bucks.
Time to upgrade and save grey hair.

-------------------------
Spider: Phenom II 955, Antec Kuhler 920, GA-MA790FX-DS5 (F8g), ASUS 5870/V2, ASUS Xonar D2X pcie,
OCZ2N1066SR2GK (4x1gig @800), Antec Truepower New 750, Fractal Design's Arc Midi Case.
#2: A64 X2 4200+, ASUS A8V-D, SAPPHIRE AGP 1950PRO
 06/28/2012 10:14 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

It's something to do with the webcam's software man, don't believe Logitech.....BUT, what Hardwood said is right, you are on antiquated software and hardware the chances that you can find the correct driver for your webcam is not likely. I would suggest upgrading the computer as well!!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 06/29/2012 12:15 AM

Author Icon
unclefester1
Overclocker

You may be experiencing a good ol' fashioned "Interrupt Conflict". Where the MoBo is assigning the same IRQ for 2 different Peripherals.

Shut down your PC, unplug your Web-cam and Key-board ( possibly your Mouse, if they all happen to be Logitech).

Reboot ( into Windows)

Now plug-in your Web-cam, and see if Windows recognizes a new USB Devise.

If so: Now plug-in your Key-board (+ Mouse\ Key-Board last)

If not: Sorry, It's going to be like the first 2 Posters stated, you will have to give up some $$$'s to go "Live".

Antec 1650B
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910w
ASUS M3A79-T DeLuxe
1090T x6 @Boiling in the La-Boratory
Corsair H70
OCZ Reaper 8500 2x2 *Pending
ASUS 5970 (under OC investigation)
EVGA 260 55nm (holding pattern)
SeaGate 320x2 16GB Sata
Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Logitech Z-5500
XP Pro SP2

Edited: 06/29/2012 at 01:20 AM by unclefester1
 06/30/2012 09:09 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Does the laptop reboot right away when you plug the webcam in? If so, could also be a bad USB port, maybe it's shorting inside the case?

Probably just bad logitech software, though, honestly. Their webcam manager software is a notorious memory hog for absolutely no reason, so I'm sure their drivers could have difficulty as well. Download the latest drivers from the website, and if it gives you the option, install only the drivers without all of the extra management junk. See if that helps.

I wouldn't think the age of your laptop would cause this. I could see the laptop not being powerful enough to provide reliable video (though I would think it would even be able to do that), but I wouldn't think it would restart.

Could also update the video drivers to the latest just in case.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 07/07/2012 09:45 AM

Author Icon
Papipio
Lurker

Bonjour,

I thank you all for your suggestions.
My friend is always living in a wheel chair, he has no means to buy a new PC, with his Windows XP PC he is able to navigate and communicate through Internet. He needs nothing more.
He just wanted to use a webcam with Skype, and I thought it was possible to do it exactly like with my PC which is also a Windows XP PC !
I uninstalled the VGA daughter card to use the VGA interface included in the mother board: the problem is the same. From this and from an advice in an HP forum I don't think the VGA card causes the problem.
Changing the USB connector does not resolve anything. The mouse and the keyboard have special old connectors.
But his PC is a COMPAQ Presario PC with an AMD processor which seems to be a particular problem (perpetual rebooting with XP SP3, problem because of intelppm.sys, ...). I tried all solutions suggested by HP (uninstalling SP3 and reinstalling for an AMD processor, erasing of intelppm.sys, ...) --> no success.
Anyway the PC runs well again (an update of the chipset drivers completely blocked the PC !!), except the webcam. As before everything appears OK: all devices are listed in the devices manager, no interrupt conflict, drivers are updated, ...
Each time I start an application using the webcam now I get a "blue display" invoking a problem with lvuvc.sys (Logitech) ...

I am about to give up !

Pierre
 07/07/2012 12:18 PM

Author Icon
Hardwood
Case Modder

What about a different brand of webcam?

Spider: Phenom II 955, Antec Kuhler 920, GA-MA790FX-DS5 (F8g), ASUS 5870/V2, ASUS Xonar D2X pcie,
OCZ2N1066SR2GK (4x1gig @800), Antec Truepower New 750, Fractal Design's Arc Midi Case.
#2: A64 X2 4200+, ASUS A8V-D, SAPPHIRE AGP 1950PRO
 07/10/2012 04:48 AM

Author Icon
Papipio
Lurker

Bonjour,

I installed a LABTEC webcam: it is OK, except the poor video quality of this old webcam !
The PC reboots each time I start an application which uses the webcam (for example: Skype options / video).
I discover in different forums that the problem is a classic for Logitech webcam and its driver lvuvc.sys: "bleu display" with error STOP: 0x0000008E .... lvuvc.sys .... But for the moment no solution proposed ...

Pierre
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information