Topic Title: MSI RMA Experiences
Topic Summary: ***** my luck!
Created On: 07/09/2012 10:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/09/2012 10:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Ok, so my newish 560 GTX Ti is a great card, but one of it's two fans went out. I emailed MSI asking if they just couldn't send me a fan... theysaid no.... GRRRRR

Any bad experiences with them? turn around time?

Also, does anybody know if it's possible to buy a replacement fan independently? for a Twin Frozr 2?

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 08:07 AM by Immortal Lobster
 07/10/2012 12:51 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I don't think that it is IL, you can either RMA it and they might be able to replace the fan or the whole card (doubtful) or your can get an Artic Cooling fan (much better than stock IMO and a whole lot quieter) if you are out of warranty. Other than that there is always water cooling, but I'm sure that you don't want to go through all of that.

Off topic: Did you see my thread I put up for you?? --> http://forums.amd.com/forum/me...d=159999&enterthread=y

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 07/10/2012 08:00 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Got to be hnest,I've only been doing hit and runs on the forums for the past few months, missed your topic.

You say Arctic Cooling fans, so I assume you mean replace the whole cooler? The cooler itself is actually very good, even on one fan, the reported temps are amazing.

07/10/2012 09:50 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Yeah, I'm sure that your stock cooler is outstanding! Most report that it works perfectly fine....keeps the temps down while being quiet at the same time. You could always try disassembling the bad fan and see if you can fix it.....possibly see if someone on eBay is selling a stock cooler by itself......maybe you can find another fan that is the same size as your bad fan to replace it with......outside of that, my only recommendation would be Artic Cooling's replacement cooler for your card (yes, the whole cooler....unfortunately).

Good to see you back IL, you should stop by more often brother! Your post count is slacking!!

07/10/2012 06:35 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Never really paid much attention to my count, but meh.

I've been looking for another fan,so far I haven't been able to tick any of the boxes:

1) 80x80x10mm (pretty sure that's what it is, might be x15)
2) PWM
3) Frameless

The OEM fans have got to come from somewhere!

07/10/2012 10:44 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Yeah and I bet that where is somewhere that wouldn't sell you a replacement anyway.....sigh

OH!!! Check this out, there are a couple of fans at the bottom that might be what you need.....cheap too.....cheap enough to risk buying and trying out IMO.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l...cement_Fans-Page1.html

....or you might be able to cannibalize from...

http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...000.html?tl=g40c21s223
This has an 80x80x15mm fan on it.

http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...ler.html?tl=g40c21s223
Not sure about the fan size on this one, but it might work.

http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...g.html?tl=g40c21#blank
Meh?

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 11:04 PM by Canis-X
 07/11/2012 12:39 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Expensive canabilization, lol.

yeah, the pwm part might be a pipe dream. May just start the RMA process and be done with it.

I can take my 460 GTX back from my other PC, and park that one for a few weeks.

Still... why is it so hard to find this fan!

I can't even find a spare cooler that someone had swapped out or something. ugggh.

07/11/2012 12:51 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

You don't think that this will work --> http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...2C.html?tl=g36c15s1269

07/11/2012 01:47 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

It will, but not uilizing pwm, which, I loves me aquiet PC.

Found the OEM part number, and by miracle, a use, working, warrantied fan on ebay. pricey though, just put in a order, comes from china. probably stipped off other MSI cards, lol. might take upwards of two weeks for me to get it, but it's an exact replacement... go me.

07/11/2012 03:52 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Nice IL.....good luck! I hope that it meets the need!!

07/11/2012 07:53 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Yay for exact replacements. I was in the market for a heatsink + fan not too long ago myself.... the HTPC needed one, with it being the first aircooled machine I've built in like 15 years that was actually for me.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 07/11/2012 11:32 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Yeah, we shall see. Broght my PC out of sleep a few minutes ago... now the other GPU fan is making binding sounds... ugggh

07/11/2012 11:53 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Haven't exactly been too idle lately with my PC. Summer hit agai, temps rose, fannoise bothered me, this case is kinda cramped... I solved a few problems.

First off... Blasted dead fan!

New "Cooling Base". I took my old Noctua fans, created a stylish wooden eenclosure, and pointed them at bottom of PC to cool PSU and force air in previously unusable fan grate at bottom of case:

New Cooler... keeps my CPU chilly.

Edited: 07/12/2012 at 12:01 AM by Immortal Lobster
 07/12/2012 10:26 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I forgot what your rig looked like IL! You need some cable management time in there man.....spaghetti factory. Like the new cooler though, they are pretty nice!

What is that below the fans in this pic??

07/12/2012 03:35 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Waiting for replacement fan before I restring cables.

Wouldn't you like to know.

LED strip

07/12/2012 11:10 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I hear ya, nothing worse than spending all that time on cable management only to have to mess it up to perform work/troubleshooting/etc.

I was going to guess either LEDs or power distro for your fans.

07/13/2012 08:04 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I only recently added the Kuhler, and it comespacked wth cables. two fans, one header, a usb cable, the two tubes of course, lol. that's really the spaghetti factory. and it all originates on the block.

07/13/2012 10:19 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

WOW, that is a lot for one device!

07/17/2012 06:09 AM

Author Icon
Bumblebeepee
B1FF

Hey IL,
The manufacturer wont want to send out a new fan as people can claim its broke to get a new fan otherwise, just to cheat the system.
The only way, unfortunately is to RMA.

Also... Argh! the cables!
(i did see your excuse for not cable managing...) but this guy needs the cables managed!

For anyone else reading who doesn't see as much of a point in tidying cables up, the more out the way the cables are, the better temps can be gained.
Got about 5C cooler when I cable managed this pc last year.

Hit it with a Hammer.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8 ~ 4 Ghz (Cooler Master V8 Heatsink)
Graphics: 2 x HD 5770
RAM: 8 GB (standard clock: PC3-1333)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E (790GX)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX
Case: CM 690 (with custom paint and a 800W PSU)

Edited: 07/17/2012 at 06:25 AM by Bumblebeepee
 07/17/2012 08:02 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I wrote a book or two on cable management. lol. Seriosuly though, it's primarily that new coolersfalt. and will be rectified. THe other problem of courseis the cramped case I got. >.>

Also, how slow is that boat from China!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information