AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: has amd given up on processors ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/30/2012 10:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/30/2012 10:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
k-9
Deprecated

so amd said they were not going to compete with intel any more in regards to desk- top processors. have they given up completly or what ?
if they are shutting this down does anyone have any idea if i should be wait for the next great version or am i optimistic and not seeing the writing on the wall?

-------------------------
gigabyte ga-ma790fxt-ud5p bios f8h,
cpu amd 965-c3 @4.0, silenX efz120ha4 cooler
8gigs patriot memory pgs34g1600llka (1333 cl7), xfx 6970 gpu, xfx 750w power supply.
windows 7 -64
 08/31/2012 12:43 AM

Author Icon
NemesisChild
ROGue Warrior

The most logical move would be to go to Intel, I have.

Phenom II X6 1100T B.E.@ 4.26GHz
Corsair H70 Core Hydro
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1894MHz, 9-10-9-28
SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Corsair HX850W Modular
Cooler Master HAF 922
2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)
 08/31/2012 12:48 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

The only thing with AMD is you never know what their stuff is going to do until it is released, so you can only speculate on what is out now......unfortunately.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/31/2012 01:51 AM

Author Icon
Athlonuser
Overclocker

I hardly notice the difference in performance when I actually sit down and use an intel or amd computer. as far as winning the benchmarks its kinda hard to tell when AMD will pull ahead at this point. They haven't given up...they just don't have the resources or funds to make a better chip right now. Plus they have the fastest video cards AFAIK. purchasing ATI was a good decision for AMD. I don't see how they would've survived without that.

Desktop: AMD Opteron 170 2.7ghz OC, 440gb HDD space (3 HDDs in RAID-0), 4GB RAM, Hec X Power Pro 600W PSU, Gigabyte GTX 260 OC, two dvd burners, HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 N5040, Core i3 380M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
 08/31/2012 11:52 AM

Author Icon
kali19
Lurker

If it's true, then there will be no winners - I mean Intel will not keep putting resources into making faster multi core CPU's if there is no competition will they ? things will just stop and stagnate ! just look at the console market PS3 and Xbox360 are both 5+ yrs old and as neither has developed they are just standing still - yes a very broad comparison I know but you get the idea !!
 08/31/2012 02:20 PM

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

gaming has moved away from the PC. yes, there are titles coming out, but they are usually ports from a console or they are made to be ported to console. and as consoles are rarely refreshed, it's not very difficult for PCs to keep up with them.

there are lots of indie games too, but they're usually not very demanding on hardware.

but even in the area of consoles the gaming industry isn't exactly growing. most of the growth is in phones and tablets. so that's where the R&D is headed.

BTW, a quick review of some Intel Enthusiast forums shows that Intel probably isn't exactly enjoying a huge enthusiast community these days either. it's not just AMD; it's the entire enthusiast community that's dwindling.

asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
 08/31/2012 05:58 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

With the economy not doing great, people are more concerned with food and shelter... can't eat cpu's

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

08/31/2012 10:50 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Originally posted by: MD - Moderator

With the economy not doing great, people are more concerned with food and shelter... can't eat cpu's

My own CPU upgrades have been prolonged as well, for the same reasons, they don't taste good and they chip your teeth (pun not intended, but I'll take it).

09/02/2012 11:48 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I think when it comes to processors, AMD has a really solid priceerformance ratio with desktop processors. I think that's about it.

I will not buy a laptop with an AMD CPU in it. They always tend to run hotter than the Intel counterpart. Whether or not this is AMD's fault, who knows, but I won't do it.

Intel has AMD beat in the desktop. Period. However, Intel processors are also $200+ more for just the CPU, which is absolutely stupid. I managed to build my little brother a very nice gaming rig with a Phenom II X4 and a Radeon 6770 last Black Friday for like $400 dollars. There were a bunch of sales going on, but the CPU was at most like $5 cheaper than it would have been otherwise. Couldn't do that or even come close with an Intel system.

Because I look more at that pricetag, I'll likely be sticking with AMD for the desktop. They just have very nice prices right now.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 09/03/2012 06:11 AM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

Originally posted by: technic58
I managed to build my little brother a very nice gaming rig with a Phenom II X4 and a Radeon 6770 last Black Friday for like $400 dollars.

I built my brother a pentium DC (E5___ something) with built-in graphics and everything and ended up being just over $500, why me?
 09/03/2012 11:20 PM

Author Icon
cvsi3
Elite

Orn, you built an intel based system? and yet you call me the traitor? lol

I can put together a Intel system for pretty cheap as well Technic, a 2700K is $229, motherboard 70-80, 6770 Video card 100 bux and ram 50. Not to far off from you. If i wanted to step it down some
i could go to the 2500K for $159.

I dont want to see AMD stop making cpu's. If they ever make a cpu that passes up Intel, ill switch back.

Kali, if AMD were to stop making cpu's, and Intel were the only one left, why would they stop producing them? If they did, they would go out of business themselves. Sony and Microsoft are both making new consoles, Nintendo is as well.
Up to this point as far as i know, all the games they have produced for those systems, had no problem being run by the system, so why upgrade it if it works just fine.

i7 2600K - Asus Maximus Extreme-Z - G.Skill DDR3 2133 CL9 - MSI 5870 - Corsair 1200w PSU - 2 x Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 - Swiftech Apogee XT Water Block - Swiftech MCP655 Pump - 120mm Quad Rad - Windows 7 - Ubuntu x64

5311Mhz Validation
 09/04/2012 10:01 AM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

Originally posted by: cvsi3

Orn, you built an intel based system? and yet you call me the traitor? lol

it was for my brother man, and I would never build a intel system for my own use(unless I get it for free), I'd rather pickup one of those old semprons and build myself a sempron rig. But never and I mean NEVER will I build a intel rig for myself.
 09/04/2012 06:14 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

AMD has not "given up" on CPUs. They continue to produce CPUs that perform well for reasonable prices. What they have stopped is trying to compete with Intel for the very top of the shrinking super-high-end desktop market. As far as AMD cares Intel can sell the entire dozen of 1ku lots those guys will ever buy. AMD won't spend billions of dollars in R&D and manufacturing costs to get only millions in dollars of revenue from those markets. The actual difference between something like an AMD FX-8150 and an Intel i7 is pretty small unless you regard a handful of percent in a benchmark to be super significant. You can play the same games on those machines and do most of the same work. If you are doing some super demanding multithreaded work like CFD, video editing, or other HPC work where a chip like the i7-3960X really is noticeably faster, spend the same amount and get yourself some real workstation Opterons which will walk away from an i7 and especially equivalently-priced Xeons.

The reason AMD CPUs tend to run hot in laptops is because AMD CPUs are reasonably priced, vendors stick them in bottom-barrel laptops with horrible cooling. Intel units are perceived as "premium" and are sometimes sold in much better units. Bottom-barrel Intel units suck too but everybody seems to compare an AMD chip in a $500 crappy laptop to an Intel chip in a much nicer $1000 laptop. Guess which one will run cooler. if you get a good AMD-powered laptop it will work just as well as an Intel one. My wife has a very rare Dell Latitude D531 which is a corporate-class Latitude D520 but with an AMD chip inside. It pretty much only cost the difference between its chipset /CPU between it and the D520. Not surprisingly it has been going five years with just an HDD and a battery going out on it. That's a far cry from the typical cheapie throwaway laptop most AMD chips are installed in.

09/06/2012 12:12 PM

Author Icon
mbjbdc
Overclocker

i have a 5 year old gateway with a amd chip runs cool from 1st day.
also had a dell latitude with a intel chip ran hot died after 3 years.
it more in the cooling than the chip.it can be hit and miss.
because the intel machine cost 1100.00 the gateway 399.00
i have both intel and amd desktops.the only time i can tell a difference is running benchmarks.ssd make anything fast lol.

Biostar TA-990FXE-Extreme
amd-fx8120 @3.7 1.2750 V
corsair ddr3-1866 16GB
ocz-vertex3-240
windows 8 rtm
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information