Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Northbridge fatal error
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/06/2012 09:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/06/2012 09:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
foxfield
Lurker

I am running HP p6650z with AMD Athlon II X4 635 processor 2.9Ghz  8Gb ram W7 64 bit

Can this be fixed without replacing mobo?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Regan

Below is from a PNY tech working with me to diagnose a freeze up.

"I have gone through the event logs, crash dump files that you have sent to me and I pointed out that you sere getting fatal errors with the AMD northbridge on the mainboard, crash dump files show that the crash was caused by the file HAL.dll. HAL is the Hardware Abstract Layer and is a main component of Windows which handles the hardware resource allocation for programs that need access to those resources.

This is allows the capability to run multiple applications at once. The northbridge handles communication between the CPU, expansion buses(such as PCIE, PCI, AGP), and the such. The HAL and northbridge are major components that do need to be address as the graphics card and other components rely on these in order to operate properly. It is advisable to have your computer looked to make sure these are issues are addressed as this can result in further problems with your overall system if not taken care of."

This H-P PC is less than 2 yrs. old - any suggestions?

09/06/2012 10:36 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Please provide more information:

IMPORTANT

When posting any thread about a particular issue you are experiencing, it is always very helpful if you provide as much detailed information as you can. Please take the time to use the template below and fill out as much information as possible. It will enable your fellow forum members to provide more accurate and helpful suggestions.

Graphics Card
- include the specific brand & model (ex: ASUS Radeon HD7970-DC2-3GD5)
- if any over-clocking is being done then provide GPU & memory clocks, and the application used to over-clock

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- include driver version currently used, and version(s) tested previously

Operating System
- 32-bit/64-bit; Service Pack, etc..
- include details about additional operating systems also tested

Issue Details
- include specifics on symptoms, and steps to reproduce the issue
- describe in detail the issue experienced
- for 3D Games, please include details of your in-game graphics settings (ex: Anti-Aliasing, VSync, etc..)
- links to videos or pictures that may demonstrate your issue

Applications and Games
- list out all applications and games where the issue is occurring
- include details about version or patch numbers

CPU Details
- include model, speed, number of cores (ex: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Ed.)
- if any over-clocking is being done provide details about it (ex: multiplier, voltages, clock speeds, and the application used to over-clock)

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- include specific brand & model (ex: DELL U2411)
- include specifics about any cables, adapters, splitters, hubs, used

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- include the specific brand & model (ex: DELL XPS 8500, or ASUS M4A88TD-V)

Motherboard BIOS Version
- the BIOS version is displayed as soon as your system is powered on (ex: ASUS BIOS 1015)

System Memory Type & Amount
- include specific brand & model

Power Supply
- include specific brand & model with output wattage
- a link to the manufacturer's product page with specifications, or a picture of the unit's label is helpful

Additional Hardware
- include specifics about the harddrive(s) used (ex: SSD boot drive), # of case fans, optical drives installed, or any additional PCI, or PCIe devices installed

Additional Details
- include information about any system checks that have already been done to ensure the system is clean of viruses, spyware, etc..
- include information about any checks that have already been done to ensure hardware is not faulty. (ex: hardware swaps, Prime95 for CPU testing, Memtest86 for memory testing)

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 09/06/2012 11:26 AM

Author Icon
foxfield
Lurker

This is what I have:

Graphics Card
- include the specific brand & model (ex: ASUS Radeon HD7970-DC2-3GD5) Built in
- if any over-clocking is being done then provide GPU & memory clocks, and the application used to over-clock NO

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
The AMD Control Center program will not open

Operating System
- 32-bit/64-bit; Service Pack, etc.. 64 bit SP1

Issue Details
- include specifics on symptoms, and steps to reproduce the issue
- describe in detail the issue experienced Video Stutter and system shutdown & reboot

Applications and Games
- list out all applications and games where the issue is occurring Corel Video Studeo ProX4
- include details about version or patch numbers

CPU Details AMD Athlon II X4 635 processor 2.9Ghz

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
HP 2010i VGA

Motherboard or System Make & Model
N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

Motherboard BIOS Version
- the BIOS version is displayed as soon as your system is powered on (ex: ASUS BIOS 1015)

System Memory Type & Amount
4-2Gb DDR-3

Power Supply
- include specific brand & model with output wattage 450W
- a link to the manufacturer's product page with specifications, or a picture of the unit's label is helpful

Additional Hardware
- include specifics about the harddrive(s) used (ex: SSD boot drive), # of case fans, optical drives installed, or any additional PCI, or PCIe devices installed

Additional Details
- include information about any system checks that have already been done to ensure the system is clean of viruses, spyware, etc..
- include information about any checks that have already been done to ensure hardware is not faulty. (ex: hardware swaps, Prime95 for CPU testing, Memtest86 for memory testing)

09/06/2012 03:20 PM

Author Icon
k-9
Deprecated

i would add a small fan to the heat sink for the north bridge, if there is no heat sink i would add one.
hopefully hp will show you a picture of where it is.

i don't know anything about your system ,but i think that would be the easiest thing and cheapest to try, in my opinion.
make sure you bios is up to date from hp.

i have had several motherboards that needed the extra cooling on the northbrige fyi: they were not hp products though.

gigabyte ga-ma790fxt-ud5p bios f8h,
cpu amd 965-c3 @4.0, silenX efz120ha4 cooler
8gigs patriot memory pgs34g1600llka (1333 cl7), xfx 6970 gpu, xfx 750w power supply.
windows 7 -64
 09/06/2012 05:13 PM

Author Icon
foxfield
Lurker

Temps are all about 96 F

MB Layout is here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02560084&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5033553&tmp_track_link=ot_search

09/06/2012 07:03 PM

Author Icon
foxfield
Lurker

More info. I had a PNY Gforce card installed-that seemed to have caused the issue. Using onboard graphics-it's slow, but no issues.

09/06/2012 09:34 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

It looks like you found your problem.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 09/07/2012 01:32 PM

Author Icon
foxfield
Lurker

As you all may have guessed,I'm not a teh guy by any stretch-but when I went to remove the card, it didn't seem to be locked in the slot.Would this have any effect?

09/07/2012 04:09 PM

Author Icon
k-9
Deprecated

if it was not making a good connection it could cause problems. you might try to reinstall the card and and see if the problem goes away.

if it comes back try leaving the case open with some sort of fan blowing into it and see if that changes anything.

it might be a bad card, you might see if its under warranty and if that pny tech can help you with a replacement. if it still seems to be an issue.

gigabyte ga-ma790fxt-ud5p bios f8h,
cpu amd 965-c3 @4.0, silenX efz120ha4 cooler
8gigs patriot memory pgs34g1600llka (1333 cl7), xfx 6970 gpu, xfx 750w power supply.
windows 7 -64
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information