Topic Title: Wow the things that are out there
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2004 02:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2004 05:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
LVSeminole
Nanotechnology Guru

Yeah, Like Heidi Klum...She is Too Hot. I wonder.

LVS

-------------------------
- AMD FX 8120
- ATI/AMD HD 7970
- Biostar TA990FXE
- 16 GB's of some flashy Crucial RAM
- Buncha HDDs sucking up way too much power
- Win7 Ultimate x64/Ubuntu x64
-A lot of other crap that I can't remember.
- Wurd?
 03/06/2004 04:42 AM

Author Icon
Ivan Andreevich

Those hubble images are not 100% real. The thing itself takes pictures in black/white. Some special filters are then applied.

There is actually scientific value to the filtered image as well. They aren't just doing it for fun. Looks beautiful though.
 03/06/2004 11:09 AM

Author Icon
Ronin
Alpha Geek

I thought *I* was the one looking for aliens
 03/06/2004 12:39 PM

Author Icon
Commie

QUOTE (RoninCS @ Mar 6 2004, 08:09 AM) I thought *I* was the one looking for aliens
Have you tried looking at Monte84? I swear he's gotta be an alien. He goes days without eating sometimes... and hes a college guy, so how in the [content edit] is he not an alien?
 03/06/2004 12:45 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

I think my wife is an alien... I just dont trust a being that can bleed for seven days and not die

Phenom 9600 BE @ 2.5 ghz | Ati HD2900XT | OCZ Titanium XTC DDR800 4Gigs | MSI K9A2 Platinum | XFi Xtreme | Zalman 9700 | Enermax 620W | Dell 2405 | G7 | G15
 03/06/2004 12:47 PM

Author Icon
Commie

QUOTE (JesterOnYEr6 @ Mar 6 2004, 09:45 AM) I think my wife is an alien... I just dont trust a being that can bleed for seven days and not die
OMG that was wrong on SOOO many levels... but still hilarious!
 03/06/2004 12:48 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

Do ya think that statement will harm my political career

Phenom 9600 BE @ 2.5 ghz | Ati HD2900XT | OCZ Titanium XTC DDR800 4Gigs | MSI K9A2 Platinum | XFi Xtreme | Zalman 9700 | Enermax 620W | Dell 2405 | G7 | G15
 03/06/2004 12:50 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

An apology to all female forum members and guests for that statement

03/06/2004 12:51 PM

Author Icon
Commie

No, but if your wife reads that, you're gonna be awfuly lonely for awhile!
 03/06/2004 12:52 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

QUOTE (Commie @ Mar 6 2004, 12:51 PM) No, but if your wife reads that, you're gonna be awfuly lonely for awhile!
OMG H O N E Y let me rub your feet

03/06/2004 12:54 PM

Author Icon
Commie

I think she'll probibly use a quote like this,
"What did the five fingers say to the face?"
"Slap! I'm Rick James, [content edit]!"
 03/06/2004 01:01 PM

Author Icon
LVSeminole
Nanotechnology Guru

OH my god! You watch the Chapelle show!!!!! Yeah Xkharn999x on our folding team, want to make a sig with a bunch of quotes from that show!

LVS

- AMD FX 8120
- ATI/AMD HD 7970
- Biostar TA990FXE
- Wurd?
 03/06/2004 01:04 PM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

QUOTE I believe they are there. But where...I dunno. I am not a preacher of the ET's, but IMO, its kinda vain to think, we are the only life out there. Main thing is, I am sooo curious about it.

OK, since the topic was brought up, here is my opinon.

While it might seem that life throughout the universe would be abundant, based upon available science, it is not likely. Note, that I did say not that it was impossible, only improbable. In fact, the probabiltiy that life would form and exist here is quite astonishing when you look at what is required for any life to exist.

Current prevailing theory is that the universe was created by the Big Bang. Like any explosion, the Big Bang is subject to the laws of physics. This means that elements will be distributed thoughout the universe in varying quantities. Heavy elements will be closer to the flash point while lighter elements will be carried farther. For example The abundance of elements heavier than helium decreases in proportion to the distance from Earth. This means that the further you go, the less heavy elements you will find. Why is this important? Beause you need just the right mix of heavy and light elements for the formation of the correct galaxy types to form that are capable of supporting life. More on this in a moment.

The environmental requirements for life to exist depend on the life form in question. The conditions for primitive life to exist, for example, are not nearly so demanding as they are for advanced life. It also makes a difference how active the life form is and how long it remains in its environment. There are six distinct zones or regions in which life can exist.

For unicellular, low metabolism life that persists for only a brief time period
For unicellular, low metabolism life that persists for a long time period
For unicellular, high metabolism life that persists for a brief time period
For unicellular, high metabolism life that persists for a long time period
For advanced life that survives for just a brief time period
For advanced life that survives for a long time period

Unicellular, low metabolism life is more easily subject to radiation damage and it has a very low molecular repair rate. The origin of life problem also is much more difficult for low metabolism life.

So for life to exist, you need the right galaxy type. The galaxy must be in the right location. In fact, there are some 100+ requirements just on the planet, moons, stars and galaxy that must be met for life to form, let alone thrive. Each of the extrasolar planets discovered and studied to date orbits a relatively young, metal-rich star (a star rich in elements heavier than hydrogen and helium). The heavy elements needed to make planets and any type of life chemistry do not exist in sufficient quantity until at least two generations of stars have formed, burned out, and scattered their ashes, which then recycle to form more stars. Astronomers have learned that the longer a galaxy sustains star formation, the more metal rich its newly forming stars will be. In the case of the galaxy astronomers know best, the Milky Way galaxy (Earth’s own), only 2 percent of the stars possess metal richness adequate for planet formation.

Another example, the planet needs to be just the right distance from its parent star in order to support life. Too far, our planet would be too cold for life to exist, too close, and our planet would be too hot. If earth were smaller, our atmosphere would be too thick; moon would be too small. If earth were bigger, our orbit would be too greatly disturbed.

I could go on as there is an abundance of evidence that suggests that life is somewhat uniqe. What it boils down to is that there is a slim ring around the center of the flash point that would have the right amount of heavy and light elements to form galaxies that might support life. Therefore, you could rule out 99% of the universe from supporting life. Then, when you look at the galaxies within the green zone, there are still even more requirements to support life.

Now, I know the common argument is "well, that is life like us, there could be other forms of life that don't have the same requirements that we have". Yet, the problem with that argument is that All LIFE, regardless of carbon based life form would need to have Amino Acids. Amino Acids are critical in changing energy to matter and matter to energy. Without amino acids, you would not be able to convert food into energy to keep your heart pumping, etc. Likewise, you could not covert the energy into growth. Once again, to form amino acids, you have to be in the right location.

Therefore, we just happen to live in the right neighborhood in the universe to support life. I believe it is not as likely as anyone would think that life would exist throughout the universe.

But, that is just my opinion. However, like everyone, exploring the universe would be just fascinating.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
 03/06/2004 02:15 PM

Author Icon
LVSeminole
Nanotechnology Guru

Oh yeah Java. I can respect that opinion, but, we dont know whats out there. We cant 100% know for sure, until we explore. And that aspect of it, is sooo intriguing. Its, well compelling. I understand that life on other planets, if there is, the setting would have to be right. But, we dont know the whole universe. We cannot say we can see it all. And, even if we do see it all, we wont know 100% if life exists until we explore. And, thats the exiting part.

LVS

- AMD FX 8120
- ATI/AMD HD 7970
- Biostar TA990FXE
- Wurd?
 03/06/2004 02:37 PM

Author Icon
Klesk4000

I want to know where there are other things living, because you know there is! there has to be! Its so big, but i doubt we will find out in our lifetimes....

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ || Temp Biostar 939 || Sapphire X1800XT 512mb|| 1.5GB OCZ || SB Audigy Platinum eX || 500w 34amps Aspire PSU
Klesk
 03/06/2004 02:47 PM

Author Icon
LVSeminole
Nanotechnology Guru

QUOTE (Klesk4000 @ Mar 6 2004, 01:37 PM) I want to know where there are other things living, because you know there is! there has to be! Its so big, but i doubt we will find out in our lifetimes....
Yeah Klesk, all the beauty in the universe, and we probably wont be able to see it. Oh well, as long as it doesnt end up like..."Independence Day" the movie, or the Storyline of Halo! haha

LVS

- AMD FX 8120
- ATI/AMD HD 7970
- Biostar TA990FXE
- Wurd?
 03/06/2004 02:50 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

THis just in from the hubble

03/06/2004 02:51 PM

Author Icon
LVSeminole
Nanotechnology Guru

QUOTE (JesterOnYEr6 @ Mar 6 2004, 01:50 PM) THis just in from the hubble

Hey! there is intelligent life out there!!!! They like Milky Way!! haha

LVS

- AMD FX 8120
- ATI/AMD HD 7970
- Biostar TA990FXE
- Wurd?
 03/06/2004 03:03 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

WOW ET's

03/06/2004 03:57 PM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

QUOTE (LVSeminole @ Mar 6 2004, 12:15 PM) Oh yeah Java.  I can respect that opinion, but, we dont know whats out there.  We cant 100% know for sure, until we explore.  And that aspect of it, is sooo intriguing.  Its, well compelling.  I understand that life on other planets, if there is, the setting would have to be right.  But, we dont know the whole universe.  We cannot say we can see it all.  And, even if we do see it all, we wont know 100% if life exists until we explore.  And, thats the exiting part.

LVS
You are right, we don't know what is out there and yes the universe is a very big place. But the point is that given the laws of physics and chemistry, it is unlikely that life would exist in 99% of the universe. Keep in mind, if we know the requirements for live (heavy and light elements) and we know that as you move close to the flash point there are no light elements and you move away from the flash points there are no heavy elements then we can draw the conclusion that life in these areas is not likely. As I mentioned, there is a possibility that this slim ring around the center of the flash point could contain other life, but most of the universe simply does not. If you want to find life, don't look toward the edges of the universe, instead look a little closer to home.

Like I said, it is possible that other life exists, just not as likely as everyone would believe. The science just does not support it.

If you are interested, take a long hard look at the evidence and you will see what I mean. This does not mean we stop looking or that we should not explore, just that we should not set our expectations too high since there is ever increasing evidence to suggest we are alone.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information