Topic Title: Wow the things that are out there
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2004 02:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/06/2004 06:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ardrid
Heavy Wizardry

QUOTE (Java @ Mar 6 2004, 01:04 PM) Now, I know the common argument is "well, that is life like us, there could be other forms of life that don't have the same requirements that we have". Yet, the problem with that argument is that All LIFE, regardless of carbon based life form would need to have Amino Acids.
Life as we know it, yes. There could easily be exceptions to the rule. As they say, we do not exist in a vacuum

-------------------------
Intel Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair HX650W
Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 (4GB @ 8-8-8-24)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
 03/06/2004 07:27 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Yeah, if we ever find life on other planets it'll almost certainly be radically different from life on Earth. However, there are laws that apply to planets other than our own, so hopefully we'll have some idea what to look for.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 03/06/2004 08:18 PM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

QUOTE (Ardrid @ Mar 6 2004, 04:33 PM) Life as we know it, yes.  There could easily be exceptions to the rule.  As they say, we do not exist in a vacuum
I understand, but life requires the abilty to convert matter to energy and energy to matter. The only things that has displayed this characteristic are amino acids which are the building blocks of protiens. Without it, life does not exist. The only place in the universe where amino acids have been found is within this thin ring which is where the milky way is found.

Therefore, without amino acids, it is unlikely life will form outside this greenzone. Again, no other known molecules have displayed this ability to form protiens which are capable of converting matter and engergy.

Hence, again it is still unlikely that life would exist elsewhere in the universe.

Sorry, it just does not add up. Now, I am hearing speculation, but so far no one is offering any scientific reasons why life would exist elsewhere in the universe. Where is the supporting evidence?

By the way, I am only offering the challenge as a friendly discussion. I am in no way putting down anyone's ideas regarding this topic.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
 03/07/2004 01:20 AM

Author Icon
Ardrid
Heavy Wizardry

There is no supporting concrete evidence because we don't have the ability to discover it. However, it would be very naive, and arrogant to a certain extent, to believe that we're the only sentient beings in the entire universe, the size of which we can't even begin to comprehend. And again, the only reason why there are "laws" for life is because we have yet to see anything proving the opposite. And that is because we have so much more to explore.

Intel Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair HX650W
Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 (4GB @ 8-8-8-24)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
 03/07/2004 01:26 AM

Author Icon
Klesk4000

this also makes me think, whats it really like to die? what if you just cant move and you cant talk? then they burry you, but your still there you just cant do anything, no one knows!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ || Temp Biostar 939 || Sapphire X1800XT 512mb|| 1.5GB OCZ || SB Audigy Platinum eX || 500w 34amps Aspire PSU
Klesk
 03/07/2004 01:46 PM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

I don't believe it is a matter of being arrogant or naive at all. See, the great things about physics is that so far with all our evidence is that these laws are constant throughout the universe. The way light behaves in our area of the universe is the same as it is at the farthest reaches. These things can be mathematically determined, measured, tested and proved. Certainly, we are learning new things all the time, however it is also interesting that these new areas of discoveries continue to uphold existing laws of physics.

Again, I am not proposing that we do not explore, but the argument that the universe is just so big, there must be something out there just does not hold up to the evidence that is available. You could make the argument that antartica is so vast, there must be people living there, but you would be wrong. There is a reason people do not live at the South Pole, it is not a very hospitiable environment for supporting life. Life forms where it is comfortable and the conditions are more favorable. The only folks that venture to these extreme areas are scientists and to survive, they have to bring their supplies with them. Advanced life would not naturally form in these areas. Therefore again, I say you can rule out 99% of the universe from supporting life.

QUOTE this also makes me think, whats it really like to die? what if you just cant move and you cant talk? then they burry you, but your still there you just cant do anything, no one knows!

People in the 1800s used to really worry about this. There are patents in the patent office that had a bell connected to a string that went through to the coffin. If somehow, you were accidentally burried, you could pull on the string and it would ring the bell above ground and they could dig you up.

But you question really goes deeper than that and asks is there life after death? I think that is bordering on religious discussions (as does this life in the universe) of which I think is too hot a subject to discuss on a Support Forum. My guess is that we should avoid such heated subjects lest the topic be locked.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information