Increase font size
Topic Title: Knoppix
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/02/2004 10:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/02/2004 10:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bomni

I've been tinkering with a Linux version called Knoppix. A friend of mine found it for me and it's pretty cool. It's Linux that you don't have to install. You just boot off the cd and it brings you right into the GUI interface. It even ran on a two processor system.

I like it because you're able to use the internet (connection dependent of course), watch vids, open office documents and pictures and just snoop around all the drives. It's very versatile. I'm going to continue using it to repair os installs and find missing files on machines that won't boot or need to be reinstalled...

Of course, I wouldn't use it as a permanant OS because it uncompresses it's own files from the cd on-the-fly as you use them cause it doesn't actually use your hdd...

This os is perfect for restoring files on systems that won't boot because of file table errors or a virus infection...

Any thoughts??

-------------------------
Athlon 64 3600+ Clawhammer @2.56 Ghz (Sample core has same specs as 3700+ at least on paper)
MSI MS-7135 | 1 Gig PC3200 OCZ Gold (2x512) | 300 gig Seagate 7200RPM PATA
ASUS 6600GT 128Meg PCI Express | Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
 12/02/2004 10:38 AM

Author Icon
Nolano

knoppix is a decent OS. I have used it. It is very handy for booting comps off of a network.
 12/02/2004 11:06 AM

Author Icon
Le_Petit_Lapin

You can of course just install Knoppix from the CD to your Hard Drive. There an option for it somewhere.

You'll need to install a bootloader,like GRUB' ">http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/, though if you do install Knoppix.

12/02/2004 12:50 PM

Author Icon
Mincemeat

Knoppix is a good temporary solution for an OS, like Linux testing or booting of a network, but for long term installs Id go with Suse or Fedora.

' ">http://profile.xfire.com/minc3d
 12/02/2004 01:03 PM

Author Icon
jes

As you say, Knoppix is a fantastic tool for system recovery, I've used it many times to sort out a machine that had disk failures of one sort or another.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 12/02/2004 01:31 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

I agree with mincemeat...stick witht the more mainstream distros. Knoppix is more of a tool than an OS, it works well and if you feel like setting up a kiosk or terminal then it's all you really need.

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information