Topic Title: best CPU for gaming
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/12/2004 09:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/17/2004 02:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Fallen Phoenix

But most people don't even know AMD even exists. I'm not talking about making SuperBowl commercials but why not a 30 second commercial letting the masses know "there's another hombre in town"?
 01/17/2004 02:52 PM

Author Icon
pcy

Lots of people don't know Intel exists - they just go into a store and buy a computer.

It's more effective to target the people who build computers (whether for themselves or as a business).

And the people who build or speicy PCs surely know AMD exists. It's a quetion of building a reputation for quality (performance, reliability, service...) with them.

A 30 sec commercial would have (IMO) very little effect. Its expensive, and it does not target the key decion makers AMD needs to convince... Not the best use of resources.

Peter
 01/17/2004 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Pro Kid

Well hopefully with the next release of thier financial status they'll be able to put out some more ads.

-------------------------
Life is hard you know this $hit gets taxin,
Thats why when ya find me Ima be relaxin...
 01/18/2004 04:35 PM

Author Icon
MattBrown

QUOTE And how do you suppose AMD is going to "invest in marketing" when they're in the red? You don't call that lack of funds? Marketing is the last thing on their mind right now. When they start making a profit, then they can start looking towards marketing.

One can borrow money. It's a matter of convincing the lender that you have a product combined with a marketing plan that will enable you to make enough money back to pay off the loan and the interest. Unless they are on the verge of bankruptsy, they can borrow money from someone, somewhere. HEck, even companies in bankruptsy can often borrow money from creditors who have a steak in the company turning around so it can repay all the other depts.

Having the best product or best value out there is not enough. It helps, but is only one part of an overall marketing plan.

I don't know that Intel is necessarily in deep trouble yet vs the AMD64. The code efficiency of a 64 bit processor only increases speed by about 15%, right? I believe the new prescott will start out at aroung 3.2 GHz, with a Max speed of about 5 GHz. Intel can probably last a few years at 32 bits, especially with their superior marketing.
 01/18/2004 04:38 PM

Author Icon
Ardrid
Heavy Wizardry

It's not exactly wise to borrow money when you're currently in the whole and in debt. That's not even mentioning all the money that's going towards their new fab. As far as AMD64 goes, in it's current unoptimized form, it yields about a 15-20% improvement. There's no telling what's going to happen when everything becomes optimized. In any event, you need to read up on Prescott a bit. It won't be reaching 5GHz, I guarantee you that. And if AMD64 continues to pick up speed, Intel won't be lasting with 32-bit only processors at all. They'll only have two choices, follow AMD's lead or perish.

-------------------------
Intel Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair HX650W
Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 (4GB @ 8-8-8-24)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » General Technology Chat » best CPU for gaming

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information