Increase font size
Topic Title: question about ram
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/20/2004 08:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/20/2004 08:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zxoltar

Ok so here goes. Other day I put my pc together and got all sorts bsod's when installing Winxp. thru suggestions here and other sites i changed the timeings on my Mushkin (2x512) from 222 6 to 232 6 and windows installed flawlessly. After I got all my drivers loaded and updated, all my apps installed. I went and got memtest86 and ran it.

I am getting 24 errors in test 5 and 1 error in test 8 i believe. Have spent the last day researching this, and many folks say that errors in test 5 are common, but after spending the big bucks on this memory, I want 0 errors. Some have suggested upping the vdimm upto 2.7v or 2.8v, as my only selection in the bios is 2.6, 2.7, or 2.8.

Mushkins forums say they can go to 2.8v easily and has been known to correct small memory errors. as all the errors i get in memtest are only 1 bit errors, like instead of getting FFFFFFFF it comes back FFFFFFF8.

So the question is. Has anyone had this and is upping the vdimm the way to go, and by upping the vdimm do you think i could go back to my original timings of 222 6.

I am very happy with the performance of this thing. getting 43k aquamark3 scrores and that is completely stock, and don't plan to overclock at all.

Thank you for your time.

-------------------------

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
Folding for team 34106' ">http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
 03/20/2004 09:48 AM

Author Icon
Aubrey

One error in memory = one error in data. I would ask for a replacement why try to work around??

( Quote )
Possession of a powerful computer is no substitute for a working brain.
A working brain is no substitute for possession of a powerful computer.
 03/20/2004 10:43 AM

Author Icon
zxoltar

if it is a problem that can be fixed with some small adjustments would rather do that then send the ram back and wait 2 weeks for replacements. had a doa hdd from newegg and instead of waiting for my hd to get there so they could send me another, just ordered another and returning my doa unit for a refund.

but this memory is very expensive for me, and can't just order more, and don't wanna have to wait for an rma either if not needed.

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
 03/20/2004 09:55 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

ok am home and thought i would update:

1. upped vdimm to 2.7 left timings at 2-3-2-6/ result: errors in memtest
2. upped vdimm to 2.8 same timings/ result: errors in memtest
3. left vdimm at 2.8 and changed timing to 2-3-3-6/ result: 3 runs of memtest 0 errors. booya

yes I know the mushkin 3200 special 222 is supposed to run at 2-2-2-6 stock, but coming from a p4 1.6 ghz with only 256mb of ram to this freshly built by me pc. This thing just friggin rocks, 43k in aquamark complete stock no oc of anything.

would rather have this pc running with 233 timings then going another week or 2 with no pc waiting on an RMA.

I am completely satisfied with this pc and it's performance, and these Logitech z-5300 speakers got the neighbors beating on the door whenever i got past 1/2 volume, geez seems like them rap lovin fools don't like my metal.

edit: And thanks to everyone that has listened to my ramblings over the last couple of weeks while I built this puppy. and am sure I will have more questions in the future, as I might oc just a tad to see if I can break 45k on aquamark or maybe even 50k, but think that will be pushing it a bit far.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information