Topic Title: Need Help... FAST!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/19/2004 08:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2004 08:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
andrewzorn

Just put in the ATI DVI-Component adapter, AMAZING picture quality on my HDTV... but here is the thing: it is now set to 480p, and I have to scroll around on the screen! How do I, with either Windows or the Catalyst, make it a resize of the screen?
It presents these problems so far:
- I have to scroll on the desktop
- I have to scroll in movies
- I have to scroll

...and one more thing, when I play a vid in Windows Media Player, it only show up on monitor 1, the monitor... on the other screen it is just black where the video is supposed to be... video overlay, or what?

And please respond ASAP... tonight is movie night!
 11/19/2004 08:53 PM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

well what tv u got, cause u can try changing the setting on that to higher

edit

also to do a full screen movie, (not litterly full screen but to have the second one play it full screen not 4:3 full screen unless its that format) have ur 2nd display be a extention of ur desktop, drag the power dvd or whatever player u using and make full screen and there u go, thats how my 9500 pro works

-------------------------

[b' ">http://di.fm ..... CAT - "Oh no, I'm Dwain Dibley"
Just say no to Black Eyed Peas! ..... I Fish Therefore I Am!
 11/19/2004 09:04 PM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

i finally figured out the drag, but is there any way i can have the SAME thing on both monitors WITH video overlay.

i have the zenith C27V36... but trust me, nothing is wrong with that.

i'll use the extension for now, but i wanted mirror with vid overlay...
like if i fullscreen the winamp visualization, EVEN IF IT IS ON THE TV, it goes over to my monitor and goes fullscreen (this is not the case with wmp...).
 11/19/2004 09:18 PM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

dude, i have the same problem, in winamp the only way is if the plugin confige says show on x display

overlay sucks with ati for dual display i found that out when i was trying some things out

[b' ">http://di.fm ..... CAT - "Oh no, I'm Dwain Dibley"
Just say no to Black Eyed Peas! ..... I Fish Therefore I Am!
 11/21/2004 03:46 AM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

bringing this back...

three new questions:
1- Should the image be EXACTLY centered when using the component adapter? With most everything my tv centers very well, but there is about 1/4" of black on the right side... not sure if it was there before I moved my computer and tv.
2- HOW DO I USE 1080i??? There is no res with a vertical of 1080, so HOW on EARTH do I get it? My TV does have 1080i... EDIT I looked in the settings and it says on the screen that ONLY 480I AND 480P ARE ENABLED... DO I HAVE A DEFECTIVE ADAPTER!!!!?????? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME THIS REALLY SUCKS.
3- Is there any way to scale the picture, as in it WOULD be my entire desktop, but just lacking detail?
4- EDITED AGAIN: STILL NOT FIXED!!! I cannot get the 'Classic' way of Appearance to look like 2000, it still looks like Windows 98. 'Themes' is disabled. All of this worked fine before Irestarted in safe mode.
5- Desktop/Images look HORRIBLE on the TV when I 'extend the desktop'... if I use ATI, it looks fine but I have to scroll around and they are the same thing. MOVIES, SCREENSAVER OF PICTURES, etc, all looks PERFECT... what is the deal? Not sure if this is a new problem or anything.
HELP SOON!
 11/21/2004 03:54 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE (andrewzorn @ Nov 21 2004, 01:46 AM) bringing this back...

three new questions:
1- Should the image be EXACTLY centered when using the component adapter?  With most everything my tv centers very well, but there is about 1/4" of black on the right side... not sure if it was there before I moved my computer and tv.
2- HOW DO I USE 1080i??? There is no res with a vertical of 1080, so HOW on EARTH do I get it?  My TV does have 1080i...
3- Is there any way to scale the picture, as in it WOULD be my entire desktop, but just lacking detail?
4- (If you already read this, I got it)

HELP SOON!
Question a couple posts back- I am not familiar with how to show an image on 2 screens, thats copying the desktop. I remember if I used the basic windows drives instead of ATI drivers for my card my second monitor would show an exact copy of the first. ATI drivers display 2 different thigns.

This page will answer a lot of your questions' ">http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=transcoder_2
More Help Settings' ">http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=atisettings

QUOTE As I said before though, to really get the most benefit from the adapter you really should have two programs. The first being  DVDIdle and the second being PowerStrip to allow adjustments on your display. The ATI display adapter limits you to outputting DVD movies at 480p resolutions (ie 640x480, 864x480 etc) due to Macrovision protection. DVDidle will enable you to output your DVD movies at other resolutions including 1080i by getting around the Macrovision protection. Viewing a DVD at 1080i is amazing enough but couple it with FFDshow resize sharpen and you will be absolutely amazed with the results! PowerStrip comes in to allow you to adjust your display to help get rid of the annoying over scan on your display. For example in my  ATI HDTV adapter PowerStrip guide I use 640x480 in a 540p timing which eliminates over scan completely. You will also want to use PowerStrip to put non standard HDTV resolutions and place them in another timing like 800x600 in a 720p or 1080i timing. While that may produce under scan, it is better than not being able to see most of the screen due to certain resolutions being stuck in a virtual desktop (non standard HDTV resolutions get stuck at a 480p resolution that allows you to pan around to see the entire image on screen).
 11/21/2004 04:13 AM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

i dont want [content edited]ing powerstrip or any of that [content edited]
i just installed everything and ive been spending a while just trying to get things back the way they were
oh yeah, it still isnt... res reads '800x600', although it isnt, 1080i still is not available, etc, etc... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP IM ABOUT TO RETURN THIS [content edited]. RESES ARENT RIGHT, AND 'DONGLE SETTINGS' SAY 480I AND 480P ONLY... IS IT BROKEN??? MORE PLEASE.

instead id rather hear from someone who is using it right now, not just a google search.
 11/21/2004 12:54 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Those pages should give you most of the answers youll need. Basically if you want to play dvds you will only be able to do it at 480i, unless you use DVD idle. Read over the apges and check again.
 11/21/2004 01:06 PM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

and what about the positioning, 1080i, scaling, and extended desktop background looking bad quality wallpaper?
i KNOW about the DVD situation, but I SHOULD be able to have a 1920x1080 desktop on the tv in 1080i. not only is there not a resolution for that, but i would not know how to do it anyway and DONGLE SETTINGS SAYS 1080I IS OFF BUT IT IS ON. THAT IS WHY I ASK IF MINE IS BROKEN.
 11/21/2004 01:27 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

I unfortunately dont have one of these adapters, nor do I have an HDTV. So I dont know what to say. I just was able to find that that page.
 11/21/2004 01:51 PM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

forget dvds, centering, and EVERYTHING ELSE right now... in the YPbPr display options, only 480i and 480p are checked, but 1080i IS switched on. does anyone else have this adapter, if so, PLEASE HELP. if it is broken, i need a new one soon. if not, i need to know how to correct this issue.

yeah 1080i switch is ON, 'dongle settings' says it is off.
 11/21/2004 05:02 PM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

bump
 11/21/2004 10:21 PM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

okay i got dvdidle i just want to see it on my monitor
i installed it but now what
cannot find anything on the website or anything
i install it, then just play it as normal and it is just supposed to WORK? is there any way i can verify it is working?
 11/21/2004 10:22 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Check out the catalyst Control Panel I would guess.
 11/21/2004 10:26 PM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

for which of the 1000 problems?
 11/21/2004 10:29 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

You should be able to check out the screen resolutions in there I would think. At least on mine. I believe DVDIdle is supposed to work. have you checked out the website I linked to earlier?
 11/21/2004 10:36 PM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

well i mean i know it WORKS, its just that it sits there in the tray and does nothing... i thought it would be a player...
it says wmplayer is supported (i use powerdvd codecs and wmplayer to play it... both are supported)

yeah i just want a way to check the actual res of the video to see if its 1080i.
 11/21/2004 10:47 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

How were you checking before? other than that I am unsure.
 11/22/2004 11:15 AM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

I have this exact same problem.

Solutions:
Use the DVI to Component adapter, in which ATI lets you re-size the screen due to overlap.

Use powerstrip to setup a custom resolution that fits your screen.

I used powerstrip with no problems on my HDTV while playing HL2.

I am going to use it next on my upcoming HTPC project.

' ">http://www.ZapWizard.com
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/22/2004 11:28 AM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

ati isnt letting me resize or anything... the only options i have is like color, can you direct me?

powerstrip is crazy, ill just play with it and see what happens.

anyone know about the 1080i switch, etc?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information