AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I have an idea for a CPU - who can I email @ AMD?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/24/2004 12:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/24/2004 12:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
abiemann

I've looked at the "Contact AMD" page and I didn't see anything suitable.

Who can I email at AMD corporate? (so that my idea is acknowledged and nobody else takes credit)

thanks.
 08/24/2004 12:13 PM

Author Icon
oaddington

QUOTE (abiemann @ Aug 24 2004, 08:03 AM) I've looked at the "Contact AMD" page and I didn't see anything suitable.

Who can I email at AMD corporate? (so that my idea is acknowledged and nobody else takes credit)

thanks.
See a patent lawyer first!
 08/24/2004 12:19 PM

Author Icon
abiemann

I don't care about a patent... CPUs aren't my field and I wouldn't have enough time to sue infringements

all I'd like in return is 2 free CPUs with my idea implemented. 1 for the wall and 1 for my PC
 08/24/2004 12:20 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Thats about right. IF you have any idea like this, take it to a PATENT lawyer first. You need to get a patent otherwise if you send this idea off this is what AMD is going to say:

Thanks you for your input. However, at this time we do not accept ideas from outside of our current company.

Then what AMD will do is steal your idea. Thats what businesses do.
 08/24/2004 12:31 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

Patents cost thousands. There's a lot of good ideas floating around that never see the light of day because people can't afford to get a patent. My friend has his own patent business here in the UK and I've done occasional work for him, and I get to know the ins and outs.

You can protect your ideas a little though, just mail your ideas to yourself *and use registered post*, but never open the envelope unless you have to open it in court.

08/24/2004 12:39 PM

Author Icon
oaddington

QUOTE (abiemann @ Aug 24 2004, 08:19 AM) I don't care about a patent... CPUs aren't my field and I wouldn't have enough time to sue infringements

all I'd like in return is 2 free CPUs with my idea implemented. 1 for the wall and 1 for my PC
Well, I was only half serious.. depending on how serious you were about your idea.. Which if you were more serious, then I'm more serious too! It all varies with serosirty
 08/24/2004 02:03 PM

Author Icon
srg86

QUOTE (ninjastyle @ Aug 24 2004, 08:31 AM) Patents cost thousands. There's a lot of good ideas floating around that never see the light of day because people can't afford to get a patent. My friend has his own patent business here in the UK and I've done occasional work for him, and I get to know the ins and outs.

You can protect your ideas a little though, just mail your ideas to yourself *and use registered post*, but never open the envelope unless you have to open it in court.
I heard about that, how does that work.

srg

-------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Manchester) 2.2GHz, DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D, 1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 Dual Channel, 80GB WD Caviar SE SATA, 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 SATA, NEC 4550A, Radeon X800GTO 128MB DDR, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Tagan TG480-U01.

Commodore Amiga 1200, MC68060 50MHz CPU (FPU Built in), 2MB Chip RAM, 16MB Fast RAM, AGA Graphics Chipset, 20GB IBM Travelstar 40GN, Kickstart 3.1 ROM, Workbench 3.1
 08/24/2004 02:38 PM

Author Icon
peenuts220

so whats this idea of yours? haha

Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2400mhz
Asus A8N Sli Deluxe | Crucial Ballistix 1gig PC4000
eVGA 6600GT PCIe @ 561/1070 | Hitachi Deskstar 160 gig SATA II
Thermaltake Tsunami | Epower Puma II
Westinghouse 17" widescreen lcd
Macbook (black) 2.0ghz core duo, 1 gig ram, 80 gig hd, superdrive
 08/24/2004 03:40 PM

Author Icon
rosarix

If I had a bright implementable idea for a breakthrough CPU and I would not want to patent it while preventing others from patenting it, I would publish all the details regarding this idea at every possible place I could think and afford. Examples include: mailing it to my professors or friends, to many CPU-related corporations, to the government, to many universities or to famous computer engineers and programmers, publishing it to some local and national newspapers, national and international journals or magazines, or even publishing it at my personal website or any other well-known tech-related websites.

This is what people who want to share ideas without letting others patent them do. If your description of the idea has the characteristics of a patentable application (technical details, method to build etc), then its widespread publication would immediately produce enough prior act so that nobody could legally patent it, except if he/she abused the patent system in some way (which is possible).

Have you heard about the OpenCores project? You may be interested to work there and design your own processor or give your idea to their team so that they can design a copyright and patent-free processor for you! http://www.opencores.org/' ">http://www.opencores.org/

NerdyPC' ">http://www.nerdypc.org/ - My Blog' ">http://nsk.wikinerds.org/blog - My PCs' ">http://nsk.wikinerds.org/computers.html
 08/24/2004 04:16 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

QUOTE (srg86 @ Aug 24 2004, 07:03 PM) QUOTE (ninjastyle @ Aug 24 2004, 08:31 AM) Patents cost thousands. There's a lot of good ideas floating around that never see the light of day because people can't afford to get a patent. My friend has his own patent business here in the UK and I've done occasional work for him, and I get to know the ins and outs.

I heard about that, how does that work.

srg

I have done this myself when writing music and not having a copryright on it. I would imagine that you could mail any idea / invention (drawings, photographs, etc) to yourself and always keep it unopened. If you ever had to produce proof in court that you created an idea / invented something, you would have a sealed envelope with the proof inside. This is presuming you ever got to that stage and had an idea ripped off by someone else.
 08/24/2004 05:01 PM

Author Icon
abiemann

rosarix,
thanks for pointer to the OpenCores project... I'll send the email with the concept to them.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information