Increase font size
Topic Title: Missing Windows File
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/29/2004 07:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/29/2004 07:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Athlon64Maniac

I had a hard drive problem with my computer, so I booted up with Win ME which doesn't have NTFS support and took some files from my Win XP computer to make it work. By mistake I moved a file instead of copying it and now my computer won't boot and says its missing this file. When I ran the recovery thing on the Win XP disc it said i needed the administrator password, and that isn't even setup, so I'm just going to hook the hard drive up to another computer and put the file on, but its a HP and i can't remove the hard drive so i need to take the whole tower. Does anyone know of a GUI or something i can bootup into where i can copy things from my removable storage to my HD? If that doesn't exist, it would be pretty convienent.
 12/29/2004 07:44 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

What file are you missing specifically. Now have you tried using the fix mbr thing in the recovery setup.

I am not sure any GUI that will allow you to do that. Knowing the system file can help us better help you.
 12/29/2004 07:57 PM

Author Icon
Athlon64Maniac

I was copying the files needed for NTFS support, the file was C_1252.NLS. When I go to recovery console, it won't let me do anything because it needs an administrator password, and to my knowledge none was setup. Any advice?
 12/29/2004 09:10 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

actually there is one setup at the very beginning. When you originally go through the setup it will ask you to create a password for the administrator account. Try some of the passwords that you use. Otherwise, you may have to reformat.
 12/30/2004 06:42 PM

Author Icon
Max Axe

no need to reformat, just search on google how to recover winxp admin password and you'll come to know [content edited] lot of ways. also you have linux bootable disks with mini versions of linux on it so you can run the OS without installing it. Try the google search 1st, you'll come to a website from a guy called petri (I guess) it has a whole lotta MCSE stuff...

--Edit--

if it doesnt workout send me a pm with yr e-mail ID i'll forward you the documents I have it on my mail.

-------------------------

Basically if you are getting a LCD, get one with a good contrast and brightness ration-->BVchurch @ Jan 30 2005, 12:53 PM
Why don't you post links rather than bossing people around.@Max Axe-->danm
 12/31/2004 06:23 PM

Author Icon
Athlon64Maniac

Thanks for the help, but it turned out that this was what was causing the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402' ">http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information