AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: having trouble with windows again...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2005 11:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2005 11:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

I used Windows Explorer to create a DOS bootdisk. I did the right stuff but then it blatantly shouts at me:

"An unexpected I/O error occurred."

So I went to cmd prompt and entered "format A:" first and then "sys A:" Well when I entered "sys a:" it said that the command does not exist. What kind of B.S. is windows trying to give me this time... /rolleyes.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='rolleyes.gif' />

Sigh...after about 2 hours of trying I'm still failing...

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? /mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />

All help is appreciated. /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />
 11/03/2005 12:27 PM

Author Icon
Aggdaddy

If you're using win2k or xp, then it might be best to use an image from bootdisk.com.

I don't think you can put dos system files on a disk from win2k and up since it doesn't use those anymore to boot up with.

If you go to bootdisk.com, it'll be easier.

As for that I/O error, you might be having a hardware problem with your floppy drive.

-------------------------
MB: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe WE AM2 nForce 590 SLI
Proc: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz AM2
Mem:CORSAIR XMS2(2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
Mem:G.Skill(2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
os hdd: Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10k RPM SATA150
VC: XFX 8800GT 512MB
 11/04/2005 12:52 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE(Aggdaddy @ Nov 3 2005, 12:27 PM)If you're using win2k or xp, then it might be best to use an image from bootdisk.com.

I don't think you can put dos system files on a disk from win2k and up since it doesn't use those anymore to boot up with.

If you go to bootdisk.com, it'll be easier. 

As for that I/O error, you might be having a hardware problem with your floppy drive.
[right][snapback]537345[/snapback][/right]

Should I get a dos bootdisk? I noticed that bootdisks are only listed up to Windows ME. And the setup disks are for NT, 2000, and XP.

Oh, another thing. For some reason, I could use the command prompt at boot even though some files were missing from the bootdisk during the format. It said "Windows ME" somewhere on the screen. Should I get an ME bootdisk or just Dos 6.22? /unsure.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='unsure.gif' />

Thanks for all your help. /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />

EDIT: Just got DOS 6.22 bootdisk and it works like a dream (well not really when you compare it to Linux konsole /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' /> )
 11/04/2005 01:00 AM

Author Icon
Aggdaddy

It depends on what you are going to do with the boot disk. I use the win98 boot disk most of the time for any DOS stuff that I need to use.

The setup disks for NT, 2k and up are exactly that. You use those setup disks to begin the setup of that particular OS and finish the installation with i386 files.

MB: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe WE AM2 nForce 590 SLI
Proc: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz AM2
Mem:CORSAIR XMS2(2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
Mem:G.Skill(2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
os hdd: Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10k RPM SATA150
VC: XFX 8800GT 512MB
 11/04/2005 01:03 AM

Author Icon
sepheroth003

It honestly sounds like a problem with your disk.

New Site!! Team Effex WoW, US Auchindoun Alliance IGN: Fearaga
 11/04/2005 01:04 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE(Aggdaddy @ Nov 4 2005, 01:00 AM)It depends on what you are going to do with the boot disk.  I use the win98 boot disk most of the time for any DOS stuff that I need to use.

The setup disks for NT, 2k and up are exactly that.  You use those setup disks to begin the setup of that particular OS and finish the installation with i386 files.
[right][snapback]537964[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, I forgot about telling you what my plans were /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' /> . What I'm planning to do is to restore the Windows MBR with a DOS bootdisk after I remove Linux partitions with a linux live CD.

Isn't the command "fixmbr" or something? No wait a sec, that's XP and 2000. I think the command in Dos 6.22 is "fdisk /mbr".

When I said that it worked like a dream, I meant that it installed like a dream. We'll see to it when I actually uninstall Xandros Linux and restore the windows mbr... /ph34r.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='ph34r.gif' />
 11/04/2005 03:10 AM

Author Icon
reholli

QUOTE(vsingh @ Nov 2 2005, 07:28 PM)I used Windows Explorer to create a DOS bootdisk. I did the right stuff but then it blatantly shouts at me:

So I went to cmd prompt and entered "format A:" first and then "sys A:" Well when I entered "sys a:" it said that the command does not exist. What kind of B.S. is windows trying to give me this time... /rolleyes.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='rolleyes.gif' />

Sigh...after about 2 hours of trying I'm still failing...

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? /mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />

All help is appreciated. /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />
[right][snapback]537077[/snapback][/right]

Possibilities:
Bad floppy diskette, bad floppy drive, bad floppy drive cable. Try another diskette, cleaning the drive, another drive, or another cable.

Although XP has a Command Prompt, it's not actually DOS, of course, and there is no "sys" command...creating a boot diskette does work from Windows Explorer if there are none of the above or other hardware (or software?) issues.

The "gdisk" command from Symantec's Ghost DOS executables is another option for initializing the MBR (gdisk <disk#> /mbr).
 11/04/2005 08:22 AM

Author Icon
wing_z3r0

two opions to try:
fixmbr

or
fixboot c:

(assuming you wanna fix the c: drive)

*Dok's Law*: The simplicity of a solution is directly proportionate to its elusiveness.
HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, <a href="http://majorgeeks.com/download...2859&file=11&evp=61b0e
 11/04/2005 08:22 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE(reholli @ Nov 4 2005, 03:10 AM)"An unexpected I/O error occurred."

Possibilities:
Bad floppy diskette, bad floppy drive, bad floppy drive cable.  Try another diskette, cleaning the drive, another drive, or another cable.

Although XP has a Command Prompt, it's not actually DOS, of course, and there is no "sys" command...creating a boot diskette does work from Windows Explorer if there are none of the above or other hardware (or software?) issues.

The "gdisk" command from Symantec's Ghost DOS executables is another option for initializing the MBR (gdisk <disk#> /mbr).
[right][snapback]538030[/snapback][/right]

That floppy drive that I'm using right now in my VAIO (the only PC in my house right now) is 3 years old. I guess it's time for a replacement (or a new opteron rig /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' /> ).

EDIT: Just got it to work on my vaio /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> . So now only windows boots and I no longer have any linux partitions anymore.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information