Increase font size
Topic Title: Backing up dvds(movies)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/06/2005 03:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/06/2005 03:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

it is my understanding that it is perfectly all right to make one back up copy of a dvd you own(am i right ?,if not a mod should delete this right away)

that is why programs like dvdshrink and dvd dycripter were free and legal.
but sadly these programs are no longer in development and not being updated,
so now they are unable to back up some of the newer dvds.

is there any free,legal dvd backup programs still in development,that will be able to back up the newer dvds?
and if so where can i download them from?

-sg-

-------------------------
*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 09/06/2005 04:22 PM

Author Icon
sepheroth003

As far as I understand it is perfectly legal. I am not sure of any new programs I have never tried to do this.

It is the same idea as taking a CD and ripping it on your computer as backup/to play in an mp3 player.

New Site!! Team Effex WoW, US Auchindoun Alliance IGN: Fearaga
 09/06/2005 05:58 PM

Author Icon
captblue1

I thought it was legal to make 1 personal backup of a movie you own, but with what happened to DVDdecrypter I am not sure. I feel we should be able to especially when they use a type of media that is so easily scratched. but my opinion doesn't mean anything.
 09/06/2005 06:32 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

dvdshrink works fine.

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 09/06/2005 11:25 PM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

dvd shrink is still being worked on and updated when needed to, the dvdshrink.org or whatever website shut down, not do to legal issuses, it was the offical non offical website /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

its only legal if u own the copy, and is best to be keep next to the orignal copy for stoarage too, of course u wouldnt have to.

this is a thin fine line when it comes to this subject, so if u make a backup just make sure u own the orignal copy

[b' ">http://di.fm ..... CAT - "Oh no, I'm Dwain Dibley"
Just say no to Black Eyed Peas! ..... I Fish Therefore I Am!
 09/06/2005 11:53 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

QUOTE(captblue1 @ Sep 6 2005, 01:58 PM)I thought it was legal to make 1 personal backup of a movie you own, but with what happened to DVDdecrypter I am not sure.  I feel we should be able to especially when they use a type of media that is so easily scratched.  but my opinion doesn't mean anything.
[right][snapback]496694[/snapback][/right]

An opinion only means anything if you have the bank account to back it up sadly.

Or unless you have a mass group of people who outnumber that one guy with the large bank account....

Opie and Anthony on XM Satelite Radio!

Now also on FM stations in NYC, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Rochester, Columbus OH, Cleveland, Detroit, West Palm Beach, Dallas, Chicago, San Fran and some other cities, their pretty much nationwide now, google it.

http://www.opieandanthony.com/

The Virus is spreading..... get infected
 09/07/2005 02:26 AM

Author Icon
Andy-M

AFAIK the legality of copying depends on where you are in the globe. I can't speak for the rest of the world but I believe in the UK it is now illlegal.

You used to be able to get stuff like MovieClone over the counter, which would back up any DVD. The same product will now not do copywrite protected DVD's and instead gives you a message saying that the facility to copy copywrite protected DVD's has been removed due to legal reasons.

HAPPY PHENOM USER ! ! !!!
 09/07/2005 03:16 AM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

well see the thing is, is new laws ruin it for people making back up's of there own movies, the new laws dont want u to get software to back up dvd's just in case ur breaking the law, i know its lame

rememeber people there is a thin line between peanutbutter and jelly /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

edit

i am going to see about pulling up the copyright laws that pertain to this, then again its interpatation to the law too

but like i said thin line getting even thinner

[b' ">http://di.fm ..... CAT - "Oh no, I'm Dwain Dibley"
Just say no to Black Eyed Peas! ..... I Fish Therefore I Am!
 09/07/2005 04:42 AM

Author Icon
kniwor

ratDVD, just try this and u'll love it, I live it over DVDshrink. Just google.

It's free, here u go
http://www.ratdvd.dk/download.htm' ">http://www.ratdvd.dk/download.htm

http://kniwor.wordpress.com
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information