Increase font size
Topic Title: General Watercooling Question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/20/2005 12:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/20/2005 12:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

It looks like I might be able to have together a watercooling system in the next week or so, so I need to know how to plan a couple of things...

FIRST: where do most people put their radiators? I can think of a few locations, each with issues:
- Outside the case, behind exhaust fan. How well can water be cooled if it is having hot air blown on it?
- Inside the case, before the exhaust fan. Again, hot air. And wouldn't this also restrict the airflow within the case?
- Inside the case, after the intake fan. Restricted airflow, again?
- Inside the case, just lying their. Effectiveness?
- Inside the case, after the side intake fan. Now I think this one is a good idea. That fan doesn't work a whole lot towards cooling my computer. It's 90mm right now but I'd have to drill it out to 120mm to make this work. Tubes would have to be very long so I could open the case; I can use the quick-release/screwless fan bracket so I can take the fan/radiator combo off quickly. I've just never seen this before, it sounds a little crazy.
- Last idea is a totally external system (except waterblock, of course). This would provide the best performance, but would suck whenever it's time to move the computer. At least, I think.

Tell me more.

Also, making the hoses fit on... I know the inlets/outlets are tapered, but isn't there more to it than sliding it on? I've seen l337 hose clamps, but wouldn't zipties do the job just as well? Add some glue in there for a supertight seal?

What to use as the liquid? Some swear by antifreeze/coolant, others say water wetter, others just say distilled water. What are the advantages of each?

I thought up the perfect idea for a reservoir. Has anyone ever seen a 20oz coke bottle before it has been blown up? It's like an 8" long tube of thick plastic. Put a hole one either side for the pipes, and you have a very minimal, easy to fill reservoir.

Order of components... I'm thinking: CPU > Reservoir > Pump > Radiator > CPU; considering the pump might add some minimal heat etc I don't know, does it really matter?

And I'm still considering an inline Peltier to chill the water. Not sure how I'll do this or how much it will help. But I'll let you know.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 11/20/2005 01:40 AM

Author Icon
Carlz0r

First off, mounting the radiator outside of the case, away from the exhaust would probably be the best overall. Secondly, a mix of 75% distilled water and 25% antifreeze of your choice (for color) is supposed to be pretty good. Last, if you use a peltier, don't use it to cool the water. Use it to cool the cpu and have the water cool it.

The fanboyism issue got worse. I'm gone (for now) got better again, I'm occasionally back.<br><br>Don't be stupid. Conroe > K8L SAYS WHO? K8L > Conroe SAYS WHO? No Benches = No Comparision<br>PortalForums Admin
 11/20/2005 02:24 PM

Author Icon
Tamerz
Elite

I have the radiator (actually a heater core) inside the front of the case. I then have no side on the case. This gave me the lowest temps. The only downside is I no longer have air flowing over the hard drives, but they don't seem to get very hot (even being 10k RPM) so I left it be. I am using a water block for both CPU and GPU so airflow in the case is no big deal. Chipset never gets too hot either.
 11/20/2005 03:02 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

well i have to keep my gpu cool thats why i dont want to block up the front.

i dont want to put a pelt on the CPU because of the danger factor. i am using a heatsink that cools it adequately now; i dont need watercooling to keep it cool (mine must not be very powerful)

i might just keep it basic for now

i thought of this last night... would alcohol be a good liquid to use? its less viscous than water (?maybe?), it will kill anything living in it, but im not sure about the thermal properties of it.

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
 11/20/2005 03:27 PM

Author Icon
Carlz0r

QUOTE(TheReturnOfAZ @ Nov 20 2005, 12:02 PM)well i have to keep my gpu cool thats why i dont want to block up the front.

i dont want to put a pelt on the CPU because of the danger factor.  i am using a heatsink that cools it adequately now; i dont need watercooling to keep it cool (mine must not be very powerful)

i might just keep it basic for now

i thought of this last night... would alcohol be a good liquid to use?  its less viscous than water (?maybe?), it will kill anything living in it, but im not sure about the thermal properties of it.
[right][snapback]550327[/snapback][/right]

If I remember correctly, methanol is what you should use if you go with alcohol. If you are going to use a peltier to cool the water instead of the cpu, I.d recommend taking an old heatsink, brazing all the sides up and having the water pass through it. Then have the cold side of the peltier on that part of the heatsink, and another heatsink with fan on the hot side.

The fanboyism issue got worse. I'm gone (for now) got better again, I'm occasionally back.<br><br>Don't be stupid. Conroe > K8L SAYS WHO? K8L > Conroe SAYS WHO? No Benches = No Comparision<br>PortalForums Admin
 11/20/2005 03:33 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

that plan is exactly how i envisioned it actually
but what do you mean use methanol if i want to use alcohol? alcohol has a lower specific heat, which means it will heat up faster but also cool down faster.

11/20/2005 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Tamerz
Elite

Using meths or alcohol ?' ">http://forums.overclockers.co....ead.php?threadid=17298

QUOTEThis has been discussed here before. Essentially it's pointless as alcohol has a lower thermal capacity than water and hence will run at higher temps (less joules required for a 1°C change... ergo, same wattage output = higher temps).

Remember water has a thermal coefficient of 4.2KJ/°C/Kg... there's not much out there better that's practicle to use... hence the reason it's used so extensively for cooling.
 11/20/2005 04:57 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

well it looks like some add alcohol to keep germs and stuff out
so i might do like a 75/25 mix

11/20/2005 07:25 PM

Author Icon
Carlz0r

QUOTE(TheReturnOfAZ @ Nov 20 2005, 01:57 PM)well it looks like some add alcohol to keep germs and stuff out
[right][snapback]550394[/snapback][/right]

Like I said, methanol (which is a type of alcohol) is apparently the best stuff to use.

11/20/2005 08:46 PM

Author Icon
Tamerz
Elite

QUOTE(TheReturnOfAZ @ Nov 20 2005, 01:57 PM)well it looks like some add alcohol to keep germs and stuff out
[right][snapback]550394[/snapback][/right]

The antifreeze does a great job at this. Plus it prevents corrosion which alcohol will not. I don't see why you would want to use alcohol over antifreeze.
 11/20/2005 08:49 PM

Author Icon
Carlz0r

QUOTE(Tamerz @ Nov 20 2005, 05:46 PM)The antifreeze does a great job at this.  Plus it prevents corrosion which alcohol will not.  I don't see why you would want to use alcohol over antifreeze.
[right][snapback]550519[/snapback][/right]

Alcohol is better if you're doing a chiller, just because it stays more viscous. For normal cooling, or slightly below ambient cooling, antifreeze and water would be the best.

11/20/2005 09:26 PM

Author Icon
10stagepipelineX10pipelines

What about transformer oil?

Opteron 175
2 GB Crucial Value Ram
Asus A8R MVP Deluxe
Gigabyte 7800GT
PCP&C 510 Turbo Cool SLI

Lesson learned: DON'T buy Tyan motherboards.......

11/20/2005 09:28 PM

Author Icon
Carlz0r

QUOTE(10stagepipelineX10pipelines @ Nov 20 2005, 06:26 PM)What about transformer oil?
[right][snapback]550544[/snapback][/right]

Oils don't pump as well iirc.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information