AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU's How cold is too cold?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/04/2005 12:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/04/2005 12:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bit Slicer

I'm wondering if there's a breakpoint temp on athlons. The point that getting any colder wont help oc etc?
 01/04/2005 12:58 AM

Author Icon
amdrulesanduknowit

absolue zero

idk i dont really understand ur question
i guess the colder the better
 01/04/2005 12:59 AM

Author Icon
IntelOwnsALL

actually i think there is apoint where if a proc goes below a certain temp its not garenteed to work anymore...read that in max pc or something

-------------------------
[Signature over size limits. Please see forum guidelines.]
 01/04/2005 01:01 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

QUOTE (Bit Slicer @ Jan 3 2005, 09:52 PM) I'm wondering if there's a breakpoint temp on athlons. The point that getting any colder wont help oc etc?
The point where getting it colder won't help OCing, is whatever temperature at which the machine is stable.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 01/04/2005 01:02 AM

Author Icon
Bit Slicer

I'm not thinking of going cryo but maybe play aroung with freon or anhydrous ammonia. Both can suck down a lot of therms. But dont want to drop down to far.
 01/04/2005 01:02 AM

Author Icon
amdrulesanduknowit

absolute zero when the matter stops moving which means the electrons stop moving which is the current which is the pc works so if it is froze then it cant move
 01/04/2005 01:05 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

It would also be impossible to get the processor that cold, but let's please not to turn this into another freakshow pseudo-science thread, mmmkay?

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 01/04/2005 01:06 AM

Author Icon
Bit Slicer

[QUOTE]absolute zero when the matter stops moving which means the electrons stop moving which is the current which is the pc works so if it is froze then it cant move

But then you would have a bunch of lazyel ectrons... might have to heat them up to gettim jittering

Seriously, it seems that there's a limit in coling with current options. Maybe theres another path??
 01/04/2005 01:08 AM

Author Icon
amdrulesanduknowit

whats the stable temp for your pc right now i would keep it at that or cooler like below 20c under load if u can
 01/04/2005 01:16 AM

Author Icon
10stagepipelineX10pipelines

Well in electronics transistors and other semiconductors are rated for operation at max cold temperature and max hot temperature. This is a very interesting question though. I think the main engineers that built the AMD processors may be able to shed some light on their CPU's Maximum cold temperature that it can properly operate at.

Opteron 175
2 GB Crucial Value Ram
Asus A8R MVP Deluxe
Gigabyte 7800GT
PCP&C 510 Turbo Cool SLI

Lesson learned: DON'T buy Tyan motherboards.......

01/04/2005 01:32 AM

Author Icon
Ivan Andreevich

At infinitely close to absolute zero, you can keep feeding the CPU however voltage you want and there will be no problems - overclocks will increase.

There is no breakpoint - the colder the better. -30 Phase-Change helps. -80 3-stage cascades help. -196 boiling LN helps.
 01/04/2005 01:53 AM

Author Icon
SLaY3r

Yeah and AFAIK the colder the CPU the better it preforms...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of AMD, OCZ, or ATI
"bv, if Mormons were real, you'd be one" - SDA
 01/04/2005 02:08 AM

Author Icon
Rico
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE (Mime @ Jan 3 2005, 10:05 PM) It would also be impossible to get the processor that cold, but let's please not to turn this into another freakshow pseudo-science thread, mmmkay?
How do we know that it's impossible to reach absolute zero?

AMD X2 4200+ *** DFI NF4 Ultra-D (modded to SLi-D) *** eVGA 7950GT (with Zalman FC-ZV9)
January 16th was the day life changed... the day I bought WoW
 01/04/2005 02:51 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

QUOTE (Rico @ Jan 3 2005, 11:08 PM)How do we know that it's impossible to reach absolute zero?

It's one of those limits that nature imposes, somewhat similar to the speed of light. In order to make something travel at the speed of light you'd need to provide it with an infinite amount of energy(if that doesn't make sense, trust me, it's been proven). Obviously that's not possible. In the absence of a perfect insulator, the only way you could reach absolute zero is by removing all heat from a closed environment. The more heat that is removed, the harder it becomes to remove the heat that's left over. Sooner or later you'd end up in the same situation of requiring an infinite amount of energy to do an infinite amount of work. It's possible to get close, but you'll never actually get there.

Before someone picks outer space as a perfect insulator, think of electronics on spacecraft. If space was a perfect insulator, it wouldn't be possible to use electronics in space since they'd all burn up and die(for a shameless plug I could mention the short blurb I did on that as an application of heat pipes at AMDEdge, but I don't think I'll go quite that far. )

Containment Breach

01/04/2005 03:15 AM

Author Icon
mtrupi

QUOTE (10stagepipelineX10pipelines @ Jan 3 2005, 10:16 PM) Well in electronics transistors and other semiconductors are rated for operation at max cold temperature and max hot temperature. This is a very interesting question though. I think the main engineers that built the AMD processors may be able to shed some light on their CPU's Maximum cold temperature that it can properly operate at.
It is possible that there is a cold temperature condition where relative timing requirements are not met. However there is also a reliabilty factor. IC packaging is made up of many different materials with different expansion coeffecients. The mechanical stress can cause early failures. Definitely stay above the spec'd min storage temp, but if you are going to extremes be prepared to break something.
 01/04/2005 03:16 AM

Author Icon
Rico
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE (Mime @ Jan 3 2005, 11:51 PM)
It's one of those limits that nature imposes, somewhat similar to the speed of light. In order to make something travel at the speed of light you'd need to provide it with an infinite amount of energy(if that doesn't make sense, trust me, it's been proven). Obviously that's not possible. In the absence of a perfect insulator, the only way you could reach absolute zero is by removing all heat from a closed environment. The more heat that is removed, the harder it becomes to remove the heat that's left over. Sooner or later you'd end up in the same situation of requiring an infinite amount of energy to do an infinite amount of work. It's possible to get close, but you'll never actually get there.

Before someone picks outer space as a perfect insulator, think of electronics on spacecraft. If space was a perfect insulator, it wouldn't be possible to use electronics in space since they'd all burn up and die(for a shameless plug I could mention the short blurb I did on that as an application of heat pipes at AMDEdge, but I don't think I'll go quite that far. )
neat. I think they won't be able to measure it, since, the electrons in the thermomitor would stop moving with near thousands to Absolute Zero, and the thermomitor would 'freeze' (no pun intended) up and not be able to read it. Thats my theory. ©

AMD X2 4200+ *** DFI NF4 Ultra-D (modded to SLi-D) *** eVGA 7950GT (with Zalman FC-ZV9)
January 16th was the day life changed... the day I bought WoW
 01/04/2005 03:46 AM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

mime is right, absolute zero is not reachable, will it ever one day, maybe, they working on that right now

[b' ">http://di.fm ..... CAT - "Oh no, I'm Dwain Dibley"
Just say no to Black Eyed Peas! ..... I Fish Therefore I Am!
 01/04/2005 05:11 AM

Author Icon
MrWicked1968
Drunk Mouse Syndrome

QUOTE anhydrous ammonia

is very dangerous to work with in an uncontrolled environment. inhalation can/will cause severe lung damage. you are of course, free to play with your life as you want, but if you want to experiment with sub zero cooling, stick with things that just freeze your fingers into icicles, not condemn you to life hooked to an oxygen bottle...

there, I'll step down from my soapbox, but kids, trust me on this one...anhydrous ammonia is DANGEROUS

Rig 1: AM2 X2 4850e--MSI K9N Neo V3--2x1gb Mushkin DDR2 800--Sapphire HD4830--Corsair VX450--Acer H213H-Win XP
Rig 2:Athlon X2 7850 Kuma--Biostar 780L--2x1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800--Asus Formula HD4770--Corsair VX450--LG Flatron W2252TQ-Win 7 32-bit Premium
Capitalism rocks!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information