AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Linux: Can it be Marketed Successfully?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/20/2005 12:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/20/2005 12:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

http://www.cooltechzone.com/in...opti...sk=view&id=1190' ">http://www.cooltechzone.com/in...tent&task=view&id=1190

a very interesting read...
 04/20/2005 01:26 PM

Author Icon
Max Axe

Interesting ... I think this has been inspired from somewhere

http://www.techtree.com/techtr...hows...p?storyid=66560' ">http://www.techtree.com/techtr...tory.jsp?storyid=66560

QUOTE Selling Linux - Part II
Varun Singh

-------------------------

Basically if you are getting a LCD, get one with a good contrast and brightness ration-->BVchurch @ Jan 30 2005, 12:53 PM
Why don't you post links rather than bossing people around.@Max Axe-->danm
 04/20/2005 03:15 PM

Author Icon
cow8mynuts

can it be marketed successfully you ask, well yes it can and it has been just remember that over 60% of linux os are free, but do keeo in mind that suse which you can buy, but if you look really hard you can find some sites to dl it and yes it legal so of the sites are ftp sites like from colleges.

Also SUSE is backed by novell and novell is a really big corp.

the only reason why a ton of people don't use linux, is b/c

1. most people buy pc from dell or gateway
2. new pc's come with some type of msft os
3. those people in number 1 wouldn't know what linux is
4. those people in number 1 wouldn't know how to use linux (heck im still learning)
5. msft is one big corp and linux is made up of smaller corp.

oh and im doing my intership at a local fed court house near where i live, im in the system dept and they use linux for all of there server and for there workstations they use 2000. and there upgradeing soon as well to Novell OES

QUOTE the only reason why a ton of people don't use linux, is b/c

1. most people buy pc from dell or gateway
2. new pc's come with some type of msft os
3. those people in number 1 wouldn't know what linux is
4. those people in number 1 wouldn't know how to use linux
5. msft is one big corp and linux is made up of smaller corp.

hahah i think i should make a t-shirt with this on it

my healthzone
 04/20/2005 03:31 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

QUOTE (Max Axe @ Apr 20 2005, 09:26 AM) Interesting ... I think this has been inspired from somewhere

http://www.techtree.com/techtr...hows...p?storyid=66560' ">http://www.techtree.com/techtr...tory.jsp?storyid=66560

QUOTE Selling Linux - Part II
Varun Singh
Doesn't look like it. Both articles talk about completely different things. The TechTree column isn't as good anyways.
 04/20/2005 03:43 PM

Author Icon
merlin371
Alpha Geek

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-- Rich Cook

that's really the reason why linux is not really beign used with that said, the deeper you dig into the win platform and the more you can see the advantages that windows also have, linux is brilliant but let's just not dismiss windows that's all
 04/20/2005 03:46 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

QUOTE (merlin371 @ Apr 20 2005, 11:43 AM) "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-- Rich Cook

LOL I love that.
 04/20/2005 05:50 PM

Author Icon
MrWicked1968
Drunk Mouse Syndrome

when you can drop a linux install CD into the drive of a bare computer, install it and not have to open a command line to modify the kernel to get 3d support for you shiny new video card or sound from something other than a creative sound card, Linux will become a palatable choice for the masses...

the big Linux houses like Suse, Mandriva, Red Hat have done a good job making Linux pretty to look at, but IMO relying on a user base for hardware compatibility testing isn't the best way to create an alternative to Windows.

Rig 1: AM2 X2 4850e--MSI K9N Neo V3--2x1gb Mushkin DDR2 800--Sapphire HD4830--Corsair VX450--Acer H213H-Win XP
Rig 2:Athlon X2 7850 Kuma--Biostar 780L--2x1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800--Asus Formula HD4770--Corsair VX450--LG Flatron W2252TQ-Win 7 32-bit Premium
Capitalism rocks!
 04/20/2005 05:52 PM

Author Icon
merlin371
Alpha Geek

well to instlall the video card on suse you just have to go to the control panel and select update and on the update select the video drivers when that's done just restart it and it's done quick and painless however it only works with nvidia so far
 04/20/2005 06:09 PM

Author Icon
cow8mynuts

QUOTE (merlin371 @ Apr 20 2005, 05:52 PM) well to instlall the video card on suse you just have to go to the control panel and select update and on the update select the video drivers when that's done just restart it and it's done quick and painless however it only works with nvidia so far
thats sometimes, well i went to intsall the driver fro my video card it told me that my driver was uninstalled and then installed and it also told me i had to upgraded by using the cmd line.

my healthzone
 04/20/2005 06:14 PM

Author Icon
merlin371
Alpha Geek

but why do you think is so hard to install a driver in linux cause no one worked on making it easier? I mean a corporation like nvidia or ati with loads of elite programmers could work on a system to install video drivers, but they dont not cause they dont want to but because linux is not as easy to work with as one might think it's just the way X works if they rebuilt the whole X desktop enviroment to make it more a par with current technologies and making it easier to deploy a driver for it then it would be easier to create an auto installer.

Edit: then again you have the problem of linux not letting you change a config file unless you're root and while this is a good thing for security it makes the whole install process of any file harder, lindows is easy almost as easy as windows with auto installers and all but this is because when you log in you're already a root, now you're open to security issues like windows is, so if you're ever gonna want linux to be secure then it's gonna stay this way, even because if they do something to make it easyer they'll open themself to exploits is kinda a compromise security for ease of use
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information