Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual-Layer Standard May Die Soon
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/16/2005 08:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/16/2005 08:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

So tell me - has CoolTechZone has taken it upon themselves to give us depressing news all the time. Check out the latest article:

http://cooltechzone.com/index....on=c...id=918&Itemid=0' ">http://cooltechzone.com/index....k=view&id=918&Itemid=0
 01/16/2005 09:16 PM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

lol, and the moon is made out of cheese

DL will be around for quite some time

EDIT

"When we asked manufacturers about the delay in their DL media, they reported that generating DL media in mass quantities is far more complicated than regular CD-R and CD-RW discs, and it requires quite a bit of financial resources in the production stage"

they are compareing that to cd-r's? lol, this article isnt very well written for one

edit 2

"Currently, manufacturers are waiting for the next move from Blu-Ray and HD DVD media, and how they challenge the production costs and general market trend throughout 2005. Only then they will be able to determine the final price points for DL discs."

they are looking forward ot the new tech yes, but -DL just came out kinda, so another reason this article isnt reliable

edit 3 (final)

"High-quality DL writers will soon enter the market in vast quantities and features, which should give you a good enough choice for your selection. Until then, all we can do is wait for Blu-Ray and HD DVD to better predict the future of portable storage market."

they are already out and widely avalible

-------------------------

[b' ">http://di.fm ..... CAT - "Oh no, I'm Dwain Dibley"
Just say no to Black Eyed Peas! ..... I Fish Therefore I Am!
 01/16/2005 10:12 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

QUOTE they are compareing that to cd-r's? lol, this article isnt very well written for one

The article compares the production aspects of a CD-R and CD-RW to DL media, which explains high prices and why companies are charging more for the DL media.

QUOTE they are looking forward ot the new tech yes, but -DL just came out kinda, so another reason this article isnt reliable

Ummm...yeah. Companies will have to look forward to new technologies in order to better speculate the future of DL media. Blu-Ray and HD DVD will definitely cause problems for DL. Besides, anything that isn't widely used or produced you can't consider it to be old technology and DL doesn't have any market shares right now for sure.

QUOTE they are already out and widely avalible

Yes, they are out, but the prices are so high for quality burners and there are still lots of models that have to enter the market. Secondly, I don't think there are as many DL burners as there are CD Burners, so their thinking can be explained.
 01/17/2005 11:23 AM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

lol, prices arnt high, DL media is dropping in price, u can find them for 7 bucks right now a pop, DL isnt going out of the loop.

honestly, that article is more of a scare tatatic, i honestly dont think it was written well

do your research and u will see that DL isnt going bye bye

01/17/2005 12:21 PM

Author Icon
danmagicman7

DL is irriplaceable right now. People who want to copy DVD's don't have to go through the nasty decoding and encoding process to do so. Just drag files n burn. (Retail DVD's are dual layer)

Join the anti-signature club!<br><br>
 01/17/2005 12:45 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

I would guess that's the information CTZ got from companies at CES, so it would be a scare tactic by companies. And even though DL media can be found for $7.00, it is not that common and the prices are still so high.

One of my friends, who is an Engineer in Calif., also went to CES and Verbatim right down admitted to him the facts that were presented in the article. He as shocked to get such a downright mean reply from the rep.

If DL isn't going anywhere, how do you explain the existance of Blu-Ray and HD DVD when the come to market? Are Blu-Ray, HD DVD and DL going to exist happily with each other - Most definitely not. It's all price dependant. It Blu-Ray and HD DVD is worthwhile and affordable, why in the world would people go for DL when they have Blu-Ray and HD DVD?
 01/17/2005 12:52 PM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

they will exist happy togther, think about it, blu ray and hd-dvd burners are a few years away, and there mediea may have problems at first, and will diffenitly be expensive both burners and blank media

DL has many years left

EDIT

its a well known fact that verbatim has high DL prices and keep ot high as possable to make money

01/17/2005 02:10 PM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

I just bought my Dual-layer burner, and I have still yet to actualy find Dual Layer media at a retail store.

' ">http://www.ZapWizard.com
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/17/2005 02:14 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

I would have to agree with Zapwizard. I am in North Carolina and my friend is in Georgia and we haven't found a single DL media in our local stores. There is only one Fry's in GA and we even went there, but nothing.

Maybe you guys in the North and West are getting some of this stuff, but we aren't. Heck a blank DVD costs us $3.00 average in South/East, so I wouldn't count on DL.
 01/17/2005 02:19 PM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

staples carries verbatim DL in store tho pricy at 3 for 34 bucks, and office depot carries dl too

u just got to look around its out there, not a lot of it, but it is comming more and more avaliable

3 dollars, lol, why would anyone pay 3 dollars a blank dvd.

stop buying ur dvd's in the drug stores

go to officemax/bestbuy/circuit city/fry's/compusa

u will find avg price is about 40 cents or less per slice (per disc)

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information