Increase font size
Topic Title: help
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/01/2006 06:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/01/2006 06:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Morriah

Hello friends,

First time here so please understand if my question is not correctly written.

I am running an AMD 4600 SATA 160gig HD and I have 2 dvd bays. I have a 320gig HD from a previous computer. I would like to know based on the cables here, if I can connect a 3 device cable to this system. I know one HD is SATA but will my IDE HD be ok, and if so, what would you recommend as a source for a 3 device cable and should it be ribbon or round?

Thank you very much

Morriah
 11/01/2006 06:16 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

quote:

Originally posted by: Morriah
Hello friends,

First time here so please understand if my question is not correctly written.

I am running an AMD 4600 SATA 160gig HD and I have 2 dvd bays. I have a 320gig HD from a previous computer. I would like to know based on the cables here, if I can connect a 3 device cable to this system. I know one HD is SATA but will my IDE HD be ok, and if so, what would you recommend as a source for a 3 device cable and should it be ribbon or round?

Thank you very much

Morriah

wrong topic, but Im sure it will be moved shortly, to answer your question however, All IDE devices are 2 or less per cable, working on the idea of Master and Slave, you have one master disk and onw slave disk.

SATA drives operate one per cable with a direct link to the board, only real limitation there is number of SATA plugs on the motherboard/addon-card and power.

BUT You CAN use SATA Drives and IDE drives in tandem, most motherboards have two IDE channels, one Floppy Channel and a varying number of SATA ports.

I reccomend plugging your two DVD Drives in tandem one master, one slave, then getting a separate cable for your 320GB IDE drive, and assigning its jumper to single (If applicable)

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/01/2006 06:38 PM

Author Icon
Morriah

quote:

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster
wrong topic, but Im sure it will be moved shortly, to answer your question however, All IDE devices are 2 or less per cable, working on the idea of Master and Slave, you have one master disk and onw slave disk.

SATA drives operate one per cable with a direct link to the board, only real limitation there is number of SATA plugs on the motherboard/addon-card and power.

BUT You CAN use SATA Drives and IDE drives in tandem, most motherboards have two IDE channels, one Floppy Channel and a varying number of SATA ports.

I reccomend plugging your two DVD Drives in tandem one master, one slave, then getting a separate cable for your 320GB IDE drive, and assigning its jumper to single (If applicable)

Hello, my motherboard (M2N32-SLI Deluxe) has up to 6 SATA connections and one connection for the IDE and one for the floppy, but please pardon my newbieness to this but the 2 dvd drives are connected to the IDE and since the floppy cable looks smaller, how can I connect the HD to it? This is the reason I am asking if a 3 device cable would work for me without buying an additional SATA HD?

Thank you again

Morriah
 11/01/2006 07:55 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

quote:

Originally posted by: Morriah
Hello, my motherboard (M2N32-SLI Deluxe) has up to 6 SATA connections and one connection for the IDE and one for the floppy, but please pardon my newbieness to this but the 2 dvd drives are connected to the IDE and since the floppy cable looks smaller, how can I connect the HD to it? This is the reason I am asking if a 3 device cable would work for me without buying an additional SATA HD?

Thank you again

Morriah

Dang those new nFore boards and their single IDE-ness

okay, your out of luck then, you could replace a DVD Rom with a SATA DVDRom, and plug the old drive onto that cable, becuase, no you cannot plug a HDD into a floppy connector

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/01/2006 08:06 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster
Dang those new nFore boards and their single IDE-ness

okay, your out of luck then, you could replace a DVD Rom with a SATA DVDRom, and plug the old drive onto that cable, becuase, no you cannot plug a HDD into a floppy connector

Get a controller card instead. Probably cheaper.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 11/01/2006 08:09 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

that could work too /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="h34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information