Increase font size
Topic Title: multithread gaming engine
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/06/2006 01:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/06/2006 01:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ganstafm

Finally a multithread gaming engine for halflife
heres the thread http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/...html...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

-------------------------

AMD 3700+ | A8N-SLI SE | Mid R600 | PC4000 Ballistix
 11/06/2006 02:41 PM

Author Icon
Spengo

Interesting - so the new games will even be able to take advantage of the 80 cored CPU that intel plans for... cant w8 to see how that fares!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
 11/06/2006 04:49 PM

Author Icon
Bluekkis

It's definitely good to see more efficient resource usage on games. Additional cpu power is always good thing, although it's not easy thing to split monolithic design on separate threads.

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown so the new games will even be able to take advantage of the 80 cored CPU that intel plans for... cant w8 to see how that fares!

I do really hope that would be possible, but unfortunately it really isn't. I can't really see any game to use more than 4 threads, ever. Splitting program to separate interactive threads is very hard and not everything can be split to threads. Game/graphics/physics/ai are really only possibilities for threads I can see. of course you could split every npc's ai on it's own thread but that would be impossible to control when every ai thread has to be aware of every other ai thread for interactivity.

[Gentoo 64b][ASRock ALIVENF7G-HDReady][AMD Athlon64 X2 2,5GHz][Corsair XMS2 2x1GB@800MHz][Samsung T166 500GB]
[Ubuntu LTS 32b][VIA EPIA EN-1200EG][VIA Eden C7 1,2GHz][Kingston 1GB@533MHz][4x Samsung T166 500GB]
 11/06/2006 08:01 PM

Author Icon
konfuzd

quote:

Originally posted by: Bluekkis
I do really hope that would be possible, but unfortunately it really isn't. I can't really see any game to use more than 4 threads, ever. Splitting program to separate interactive threads is very hard and not everything can be split to threads. Game/graphics/physics/ai are really only possibilities for threads I can see. of course you could split every npc's ai on it's own thread but that would be impossible to control when every ai thread has to be aware of every other ai thread for interactivity.

Try reading the article. Valve's hybrid threading technology is a combination of coarse multithreading (your 4 threads theory) and fine grained multithreading (dividing tasks into many small threads) to achieve 100% CPU usage all the time. It's all done dynamically, so the number of threads varries from one second to the next and from one machine to another. It's the best solution I've seen to the problem of multithreading so far even if it's the hardest to program for.

If all else fails, hit it harder.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information