Increase font size
Topic Title: Call to megadeth…
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/02/2006 10:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/02/2006 10:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dmcanally

Megadeath:

I am looking to turn my linux server into a wireless router (already serving samba share, apache/mysql and option of game servers). I am by no means a linux guru but I am pretty comfortable with it and know my way around. Currently I am running SuSE 9.3 64bit but I am open to any distro. The box is plenty beefy with 1GB of memory and an FX-55 so hardware won’t be a problem.

My main question is what type of wireless card do I need? My goal is to be a fully functional access point/ router. I know it is much easier to use a standalone wireless router but I am very interested integrating all of my network services into one box.

I am also wondering about ease of configuration.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments in advance,
- dmcanally

-------------------------
The opinions and statements expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. Nor do said opinions and statements hold any official or credible status concerning Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 08/02/2006 10:53 AM

Author Icon
Megadeth

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

Read through that, I think you'll find everything on there.

As far as distro goes, Fedora Core is good for this as well as Gentoo, but Gentoo I recommend because it is heavily customizable, so you can install only those things that you need. But beware, it is a difficult distro.
 08/02/2006 10:56 AM

Author Icon
dmcanally

quote:

Originally posted by: Megadeth
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

Read through that, I think you'll find everything on there.

As far as distro goes, Fedora Core is good for this as well as Gentoo, but Gentoo I recommend because it is heavily customizable, so you can install only those things that you need. But beware, it is a difficult distro.

sweet, thanks for the info!

The opinions and statements expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. Nor do said opinions and statements hold any official or credible status concerning Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 08/02/2006 11:00 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Another good article on setting up a wireless access point:
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/10/1729226

Distro doesn't really matter as long as you have a 2.6.X.X kernel.
 08/02/2006 11:03 AM

Author Icon
dmcanally

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
Another good article on setting up a wireless access point:
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/10/1729226
Distro doesn't really matter as long as you have a 2.6.X.X kernel.

I was wondering about that... does 2.6 kernel have better wireless support than 2.4? I haven't played with wireless under a linux environment so this project should be interesting.

08/02/2006 11:16 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

ndiswrapper can use windows drivers for your wireless nic. check it out; it should be easily installable on most distros.
 08/02/2006 11:25 AM

Author Icon
Megadeth

quote:

Originally posted by: dmcanally
I was wondering about that... does 2.6 kernel have better wireless support than 2.4? I haven't played with wireless under a linux environment so this project should be interesting.

2.6 has more features, so it would be best to use it. Distro, it just depends what your comfortable with.

quote:

Originally posted by: vsingh
ndiswrapper can use windows drivers for your wireless nic. check it out; it should be easily installable on most distros.

I wouldn't recommend it, I had nightmares with ndiswrapper. Stick with a native-Linux card as you did ask for what kind which implies that you will be buying a new one?
 08/02/2006 11:43 AM

Author Icon
dmcanally

quote:

Originally posted by: Megadeth
2.6 has more features, so it would be best to use it. Distro, it just depends what your comfortable with.
I wouldn't recommend it, I had nightmares with ndiswrapper. Stick with a native-Linux card as you did ask for what kind which implies that you will be buying a new one?

I have a netgear wg311 in my desktop right now, but I will need one for my server. Which one can I expect to have the best linux support? My buddy said something about needing a wireless nic with ‘master mode’ but I wasn’t too sure what he was talking about.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information