Increase font size
Topic Title: Memory usage in task manager does'nt add up
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/08/2006 08:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/08/2006 08:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mikes451

When I go into windows task manager and click processes I have 32 processes running. It says my commit charge is 231M / 2424M . So I guess im using 231M of my 1 Gig of RAM. But if I add my mem usage for my 32 processes it only adds up to about 80Meg. So what else is using my memory is there a way to find out? Something besides my processes is using 150 Meg. Thanks

-------------------------
XP 2600+ (O.C. 2225MHz, 356 F.S.B.) 256K L2 cache <br>ECS -741GX-M Motherboard <br>1 Gig Corsair Value Ram, CAS 2.5, DDR 400 <br> ATI 9600XT video card <br>E-Power Puma 2 450 Watt Power supply<br>NEC 3540A DVD-CD burner<br>Logitech MX-518 mouse
 11/08/2006 09:11 PM

Author Icon
thespin

I have about the same difference. Maybe Windows allocates some kind of cache based on available memory ... Ah don't rightly know ...

Millions daily drive their cars made of 1000s of parts. We study events billions of miles away expecting laws HERE apply equally THERE. The planets, the moons etc move with such precision that we just hit a comet millions of miles away with a probe. ALL of man's technology depend on the precision and invariability of natural laws. How also explain their simplicity and their harmonious integration to form a multifaceted U
 11/08/2006 10:50 PM

Author Icon
axy1985
Ninja Zombie Killer

if i'm right, commit charge shows the amount of data stored into memory AND paging file. so the missing amount would be on the paging file.

AMD Athlon II X2 440 @ 2.7 GHz (Sempron unlocked)
2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 AMD Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX
MSI nVidia GTX460 1GB Hawk
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Antec TruePower New 650W
 11/09/2006 12:03 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Unfortunately, "commit charge" is even less useful than that. It's something silly like the amount of space you'd need if the memory used by all your apps were dumped to disk all at once. Apparently there was a lot of "under the hood" kind of stuff changed in going from 2000 to XP and for some reason task manager wasn't told about any of it leading to weird stuff like this.

There's a program by Sysinternals called "process explorer", which might do a better job at it.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 11/09/2006 04:05 AM

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

there was another thread like this a few months back, i'll quite my post from it:

quote:

Originally posted by: np6s4x
try this:

one if your processes may only be using a small amount of ram but alot of vm (a bit back i had one that was using like 1mb of ram but 300mb+ of vm some how)

do that, and you should be able to see where the rest of your memory usage has gone to

PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 11/09/2006 04:28 AM

Author Icon
EdG

quote:

Originally posted by: mikes451
When I go into windows task manager and click processes I have 32 processes running. It says my commit charge is 231M / 2424M . So I guess im using 231M of my 1 Gig of RAM. But if I add my mem usage for my 32 processes it only adds up to about 80Meg. So what else is using my memory is there a way to find out? Something besides my processes is using 150 Meg. Thanks

Commit charge is memory allocated to programs AND the operating system.

PF Usage
The amount of paging file being used by the system. If your computer is running near the maximum, you can increase the page file size.

Commit Charge (K)
Memory allocated to programs and the operating system. Because of memory copied to the paging file, called virtual memory, the value listed under Peak may exceed the maximum physical memory. The value for Total is the same as that depicted in the Page File Usage History graph.

Physical Memory (K)
The total physical memory, also called RAM, installed on your computer. Available represents the amount of free memory that is available for use. The System Cache shows the current physical memory used to map pages of open files.

Kernel Memory (K)
Memory used by the operating system kernel and device drivers. Paged is memory that can be copied to the paging file, thereby freeing the physical memory. The physical memory can then be used by the operating system. Nonpaged is memory that remains resident in physical memory and will not be copied out to the paging file.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information