Increase font size
Topic Title: optical storage VS magnetic storage
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/06/2006 08:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/06/2006 08:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Yue_Hong
Overclocker

What is the advantages of optical storage compared to magnetic storage?

-------------------------
"If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel." -- AMD CEO Hector Ruiz in 2007
 11/06/2006 08:43 PM

Author Icon
Ronin
Alpha Geek

quote:

Originally posted by: Yue_Hong
What is the advantages of optical storage compared to magnetic storage?

Easy! With magnetic storage, magnets are bad, mkay?
 11/06/2006 08:44 PM

Author Icon
Yue_Hong
Overclocker

quote:

Originally posted by: Ronin
Easy! With magnetic storage, magnets are bad, mkay?

What do you mean BAD?

"If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel." -- AMD CEO Hector Ruiz in 2007
 11/06/2006 08:51 PM

Author Icon
Ronin
Alpha Geek

Magnets remove data from magnetic drives if they get too close..don't have that problem with optical storage.
 11/07/2006 12:12 AM

Author Icon
Zozio

Optical means read by light (ie: laser), ie CDROMs and DVDs. Magnetic means reading the magnetic levels of an iron-oxide, ie hard drives, floppy disks, zip drives, and backup tapes.

11/07/2006 12:16 AM

Author Icon
64bitX2g33k

There is also an Idoit factor to look at here too. People that use magnets to put pictures up on the side of the case then wonder why its broke or doesn't work. Or my favorite the person who, in order to keep the diskette safe, puts it on a file cabnet with a magnet to hold it up.

Optical is read by light/laser as Zozio has stated and magnet uses different magnetic pulls and pushes to do what it needs to do. As a person who is working on them it isn't really neccessary to know the internal workings unless you do that for a living.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Professional
 11/07/2006 03:51 AM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

also optical storage should always been check if using for long term, as if there is a minor defect in the disk and it burns fine and reads fine doesnt mean it will later, so use good media and writers

i use both, always back up optical stuff (thats what i do) every 2 years when needed

[b' ">http://di.fm ..... CAT - "Oh no, I'm Dwain Dibley"
Just say no to Black Eyed Peas! ..... I Fish Therefore I Am!
 11/07/2006 04:39 PM

Author Icon
thespin

Depends on what you are doing.

Optical storage, CDs and DVDs, are more stable and occupy little space. They are good for backups, and also very portable for other uses like music, video, etc. It is also VERY CHEAP. They are not slow. The media can be delicate and one must avoid scratching it.

Magnetic storage is usually faster, can hold much more data, but is much more expensive and is less stable i.e more prone to corruption over time. In HD format, it takes up much more space than optical but can be portable as demonstrated by iPods. In the new USB Flash Drive format it also takes up little room and is much more portable than optical since it's hardened and compact; however it is much more expensive and I think it is slower than optical. There is also tape format which is usually used just for large backups.

So I think the things to consider to make your decision is: speed, data volume, portability, stability, cost - according to your priorities.

Millions daily drive their cars made of 1000s of parts. We study events billions of miles away expecting laws HERE apply equally THERE. The planets, the moons etc move with such precision that we just hit a comet millions of miles away with a probe. ALL of man's technology depend on the precision and invariability of natural laws. How also explain their simplicity and their harmonious integration to form a multifaceted U
 11/07/2006 04:49 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: thespin
Depends on what you are doing.

Optical storage, CDs and DVDs, are more stable and occupy little space. They are good for backups, and also very portable for other uses like music, video, etc. It is also VERY CHEAP. They are not slow. The media can be delicate and one must avoid scratching it.

Magnetic storage is usually faster, can hold much more data, but is much more expensive and is less stable i.e more prone to corruption over time. In HD format, it takes up more space than optical but can be portable as demonstrated by iPods. In the new USB Flash Drive format it also takes up little room and is much more portable than optical since it's hardened and compact; however it is much more expensive and I think it is slower than optical. There is also tape format which is usually used just for backup.

So I think the things to consider to make your decision is: speed, data volume, portability, stability, cost - according to your priorities.

DVDs store 4.7GB each. They scratch and damage easy. May not restore in the future.

I use Exabyte VXA-320 SCSI tape drives. 160GB native, 320GB compressed 2:1. $999 each. Each X23 tape is $60-$80 each. You get 12-24MB/s transfer speeds, which is about 43GB/hour-86GB/hour. I run four tape drive concurrent:

native/compressed
HP DAT 40i 20/40GB
Exabyte VXA-2 80/160GB
2 x Exabyte VXA-320 160GB/320GB

All four drive get 2.2 GB/min backup performance. A U320 SCSI controller can handle 10+ tape drives per channel with no degrade in performance.

I use Veritas Backup Exec 10D for Windows Server on XP Pro SP2. Just ordered 11D that is XP X64 compliant. Released yesterday. Worked great in beta.

The Exabyte tapes are damage resistive. Check out the tests on Exabyte's site.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 11/07/2006 06:01 PM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

a grand a peice? whats that in USD?

11/07/2006 08:32 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: koolaidwa

Yes. In the US from Insight.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 11/08/2006 05:20 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: koolaidwa

This may seem very expensive but in some businesses and the like the keeping of information over long periods of time is crucial and what it would cost them if the information was lost is incomparable to one grand.

11/08/2006 05:24 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: Zozio
This may seem very expensive but in some businesses and the like the keeping of information over long periods of time is crucial and what it would cost them if the information was lost is incomparable to one grand.

I know many A/V and CAD users who invest in these drives. The cost of a tape drive and tapes is nothing compared to losing days of work.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 11/08/2006 06:53 PM

Author Icon
koolaidwa

yea, but most companies invest in more then just the small stuff

11/09/2006 12:43 PM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

quote:

Originally posted by: 64bitX2g33k There is also an Idoit factor to look at here too. People that use magnets to put pictures up on the side of the case then wonder why its broke or doesn't work.

It takes a lot more than a kitchen magnet on the side of a computer case to corrupt a hard drive. A lot more. You can rub a magnet all over the drive, if you want, and it won't do a thing to the data, as long as it's not more powerful than the magnets already in the hard drive. Which, considering they are NIBs, isn't all that easy.

quote:

Originally posted by: 64bitX2g33k There is also an Idoit factor

Thanks, made my day.

-Adam
 11/09/2006 12:54 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: Silk_the_Absent1
It takes a lot more than a kitchen magnet on the side of a computer case to corrupt a hard drive. A lot more. You can rub a magnet all over the drive, if you want, and it won't do a thing to the data, as long as it's not more powerful than the magnets already in the hard drive. Which, considering they are NIBs, isn't all that easy.
Thanks, made my day.

-Adam

Why would you put a refrigerator magnet on a hard drive?

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 11/09/2006 02:29 PM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

Gotta love it when people actually read the post.

-Adam
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information