Increase font size
Topic Title: installing gentoo
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/03/2006 11:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/03/2006 11:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JonJon
Code Monkey

I just made a 10gb partition on my system hard drive and i'm about to install gentoo on it.

Is there anything I should know? Will I run into problems with the windows boot manager?

-------------------------
 09/03/2006 12:41 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Well the Windows boot manager doesn't support Linux....so I would think you would want to overwrite the NT boot loader with Gentoo's loader, either Lilo or Grub. That way you will be able to use that to boot either Linux or Windows. If Gentoo doesn't work out for you, that boot loader will be screwed up, but you can still delete it and repair the original NT loader with the Windows XP disc.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 09/03/2006 01:12 PM

Author Icon
JonJon
Code Monkey

care to tell me how to do so?

09/03/2006 01:36 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

quote:

Originally posted by: JonJon
care to tell me how to do so?

How to do what? Repair the boot loader if Gentoo doesn't work out?

Well...you boot off the XP CD, and instead of pressing enter to install windows, you press r to repair. This brings you to a command prompt. Here you will want to type "fdisk /mbr". That completely clears out the current master boot record, which in this case, would be the Linux Loader. Once that is done, you type "fixboot". That command detects your current MBR settings, which in this case, it would detect that there is flat out no MBR. It will come up with a message saying something like "your MBR is missing or corrupt, would you like to write a new master boot record?". You type Y or Yes, and it does it for you. Then, wvalla, your old boot loader is back and Windows is your only OS on the drive.

That's what hapenned to me...once I uninstalled Linux, it took the bootloader with it, or screwed it up somehow...I came in here asking what to do, and that's what was suggested. Went in, did that, bam XP gets to boot again

But about Gentoo...you know that's a hard install right? Least that's what I've heard..

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 09/03/2006 01:49 PM

Author Icon
r3sil3

Wow.....for once..........technic is right.......A+ for you

LOL....

naw here's right.....

NO PC As Of NOW!

I'll still be on here once in a while.
 09/03/2006 03:40 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

quote:

Originally posted by: r3sil3

LOL....

naw here's right.....

09/03/2006 04:03 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

quote:

Originally posted by: r3sil3

LOL....

naw here's right.....

Not completely...

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Well the Windows boot manager doesn't support Linux....so I would think you would want to overwrite the NT boot loader with Gentoo's loader, either Lilo or Grub. That way you will be able to use that to boot either Linux or Windows. If Gentoo doesn't work out for you, that boot loader will be screwed up, but you can still delete it and repair the original NT loader with the Windows XP disc.

You never overwrite the NTLoader if you are doing a dual-boot. Both boot loaders stay on the MBR and the GRUB/Lilo chainload the NTLoader.

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown That completely clears out the current master boot record, which in this case, would be the Linux Loader.

That's wrong (I didn't read the first post, so pooh). In his case it would be most likely GRUB, you can use Linux Loader or GRUB, but the first has gone way out of style. I just had to do that.

09/03/2006 04:04 PM

Author Icon
JonJon
Code Monkey

yeah gentoo is harder but i have megadeth holding my hand every step of the way .

EDIT: As weird as that sounded.

09/03/2006 04:08 PM

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

Jon Jon you're entering a new phase in your life....

asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
 09/03/2006 04:22 PM

Author Icon
JonJon
Code Monkey

and what phase might this be?

09/03/2006 04:31 PM

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

i don't know... it was just the whole holding hands thing. i thought it sounded funny following it up with that statement.

....not that there's anything wrong with that!!

asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
 09/03/2006 04:33 PM

Author Icon
JonJon
Code Monkey

lol, i'm not going to lie i like how your mind works .

09/03/2006 09:36 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Ahh Megadeth you know what I meant about the "Linux Loader"....

But yeah...just saying that method worked for me..

09/04/2006 01:36 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

A few handy tips to doing Gentoo:

1. Have a second computer that's online and opened to the Gentoo Install Handbook next to you. This is a BIG help.

2. At the boot prompt, enter "gentoo acpi=on vga=xxx" where xxx is a number like 795. The xxx is your monitor's resolution. 795 = 1280x1024. Much better than the default 640x480. And having ACPI=on is mandatory to turn laptop HSF fans on and doesn't hurt for desktops.

3. When the system is booted off of the install CD, run "lsmod" minus the quotes and write down what you see. Ditto for "lspci." This will tell you what hardware's in your computer and what the live CD detected. That is an asset for you when you comfigure the kernel.

4. Write down your partitioning scheme somewhere after you do it.

5. AMD's default compiler flags as outlined in their programming guide (-march=k8 -msse3 -ffast-math -O3 -pipe -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fpeel-loops -ftracer -funswitch-loops -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer) are good and safe to use as your Gentoo CFLAGS. Note that my CPU is an A64 dual-core with SSE3 running the 64-bit version of Gentoo. If you a 130nm K8 or a Winchester without SSE3, don't put -msse3 in the flags. If you have a K7, then you'll need to look for new flags. The default ones are not bad.

6. The handbook gets you to where you have a base CLI setup done. Good. Now emerge Xorg and just Xorg to put yourself in a graphical environment (TWM.) It isn't pretty, but multiple xterms on one screen is better than Alt+Shift+F* to switch terminals. Now go emerge KDE or Gnome or whatnot.

7. Emerge --sync only once a day. More than that is unneccessary.

8. Ccache and confcache are good tools to use as they speed things up. However, they occasionally cause an ebuild to die. If you have ebuilds dying on you, take ccache and confcache out of your make.conf and retry.

9. DON'T ACCEPT KEYWORDS ~x86 or ~amd64!!! If you want to use a masked program, put it in /etc/portage/package.keywords. Even if it's a lot of stuff. You will save yourself pain.

09/04/2006 01:47 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

hey thanks for the advice as i will be installing gentoo once my rig is all done.
 09/04/2006 01:57 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

quote:

Originally posted by: MU_Engineer
A few handy tips to doing Gentoo:

1. Have a second computer that's online and opened to the Gentoo Install Handbook next to you. This is a BIG help.

2. At the boot prompt, enter "gentoo acpi=on vga=xxx" where xxx is a number like 795. The xxx is your monitor's resolution. 795 = 1280x1024. Much better than the default 640x480. And having ACPI=on is mandatory to turn laptop HSF fans on and doesn't hurt for desktops.

3. When the system is booted off of the install CD, run "lsmod" minus the quotes and write down what you see. Ditto for "lspci." This will tell you what hardware's in your computer and what the live CD detected. That is an asset for you when you comfigure the kernel.

4. Write down your partitioning scheme somewhere after you do it.

5. AMD's default compiler flags as outlined in their programming guide (-march=k8 -msse3 -ffast-math -O3 -pipe -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fpeel-loops -ftracer -funswitch-loops -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer) are good and safe to use as your Gentoo CFLAGS. Note that my CPU is an A64 dual-core with SSE3 running the 64-bit version of Gentoo. If you a 130nm K8 or a Winchester without SSE3, don't put -msse3 in the flags. If you have a K7, then you'll need to look for new flags. The default ones are not bad.

6. The handbook gets you to where you have a base CLI setup done. Good. Now emerge Xorg and just Xorg to put yourself in a graphical environment (TWM.) It isn't pretty, but multiple xterms on one screen is better than Alt+Shift+F* to switch terminals. Now go emerge KDE or Gnome or whatnot.

7. Emerge --sync only once a day. More than that is unneccessary.

8. Ccache and confcache are good tools to use as they speed things up. However, they occasionally cause an ebuild to die. If you have ebuilds dying on you, take ccache and confcache out of your make.conf and retry.

9. DON'T ACCEPT KEYWORDS ~x86 or ~amd64!!! If you want to use a masked program, put it in /etc/portage/package.keywords. Even if it's a lot of stuff. You will save yourself pain.

I use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on this install and it made it [content edited]. Seriously, I had to go and unmask my packages from equery after that. It's good when you want a bleeding edge system, but it isn't good if you don't.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information