Increase font size
Topic Title: HELP!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/16/2006 03:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2006 03:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
imdandman
Driod

Let me start out by saying that I have a Turion 64 x2.

Recently, I was on the AMD website, trying to get on the forums here. It was the first day the forums were down, so I went onto the actual AMD site. I was just browsing around and saw downloads and thought I'd take a look. I saw three programs of interest.

The first program was the "Dual Core Optomizer"

The second was "AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2"

And the third and final program was the "AMD" clock, which was just a simple zip file.

I downloaded and installed all these programs with hopes of increasing my battery life. I also downloaded and installed MSN Messenger.

Very soon after I began to have problems. The program "ccApp" would freeze on shutdown, and if I tried to run the command "shutdown /s" in the command prompt, it would give me an error with a RAM address.

Quickly, I attempted a system restore, but to no avail. I have system restore turned on, but it simply will not restore.

Then I wiped all three programs as well as MSN Messenger. I also rolled back the drivers on my processor through the device manager.

As far as I can tell, most of the shutdown issues have been dealt with, but I have not tested it very many times. What I am concerned about is my startup.

Before using these programs, my startup time from pressing enter after typing in my password to the hour glass going away and XP being totally ready to use was extremely short. Under 10 seconds at the most. Now, there is about 30-45 seconds where there is nothing but my background screen and the mouse, and the hard drive is just accessing. I have no idea what is going on in the background.

Now the total startup time is about a 45-60 seconds from password to full usage.

Is there anything else I can do short of something drastic to fix this problem? Ideally I would like to have my startup time back to normal.

Any help is appreciated.
 08/17/2006 12:27 AM

Author Icon
imdandman
Driod

Ok, well I played around with it for a while, rolled back the drivers, then updated them and then finally thought it might be one of my starup programs.

To confirm this, I went to safe mode and it booted up nearly instantly after the password like it had before, and there's only 13 processes running in safe mode. When I get on in normal mode is when the slow down is and there's 41 processes running.

Is there an option to create a small text file with all the different process names in it. I've see people post such a list before but I don't know if they just typed it or if they generated it?
 08/17/2006 01:39 AM

Author Icon
blizard

quote:

Originally posted by: imdandman
Ok, well I played around with it for a while, rolled back the drivers, then updated them and then finally thought it might be one of my starup programs.

To confirm this, I went to safe mode and it booted up nearly instantly after the password like it had before, and there's only 13 processes running in safe mode. When I get on in normal mode is when the slow down is and there's 41 processes running.

Is there an option to create a small text file with all the different process names in it. I've see people post such a list before but I don't know if they just typed it or if they generated it?

Spy Bot have tools that you can unlock by ticking on advanced mode in menu. In the left pane you should now see a tool pane, click it and then process list. You can then make txt file with your active processes.

Spy Bot is mainly known for it adaware cleaning feature but it has many other features and it is free to use...

You can also use Everst Home edition (google for it). This is diagnostic tool that is no longer supported by www.lavalys.com, but work very well for most users. It also have report generator and can list running proicesses.

-------------------------
Abit AT8-32X (Xpress3200)/Athlon64 X2 4200+@stock/Corsair VS 2GB/Samsung SATA II 2x 250 GB/Club3D X1950XT GDDR3 256MB+ PowerColor Theatre 550 pro (PCIe x1)
 08/17/2006 10:35 AM

Author Icon
64bitX2g33k

I am gonna give you a warning/recommendation. Do not under any circumstances use SpyBot Search and Destroy. It puts more crap on than it takes off and it is a really buggy program.

Software stuff will not do anything to a batteries life or useage span.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Professional
 08/17/2006 11:21 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

quote:

Originally posted by: 64bitX2g33k
I am gonna give you a warning/recommendation. Do not under any circumstances use SpyBot Search and Destroy. It puts more crap on than it takes off and it is a really buggy program.

Software stuff will not do anything to a batteries life or useage span.

Yeah...I'm gonna disagree with this. Never had any trouble with Spybot, and depending on the program, some can defenitely affect battery life.

Umm...how new is your laptop? I was going to say maybe they already had the X2 driver installed for you, and when you went to install it over the old one, it sort of screwed up. Howbout, instead of rolling back the driver for your CPU, you completely uninstall it, and then reinstall the one from the website. See if that helps.

Also, MSN Messenger wouldn't have any effects on that so you can reinstall that if you want.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information