Increase font size
Topic Title: TV tuner
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/28/2006 10:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/28/2006 10:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
me=kon
Case Modder

just curious what i should get concerning TV tuners preferably UNDER 90 dollars USD.

also, i do NOT have CABLE TV, i only have cable INTERNET so im not exactly sure how that stuff works out, anyways, what would i need if i were to get one to receive local network channels only? and most importantly what tv tuner is a good one to buy?

EDIT: woops wrong section sry.

-------------------------
<br>Technic86 "Now I'm gonna agree and wish it was old times again. You know...before the forums were down every other week, before the spambots and hackers came, before the fanboys began to show face(sorry), before the forums went from a Support Place to a battlefield, before short tempers flared and...ahhh so on and so forth. The forums just
 08/28/2006 10:49 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

if you were to plug your tv to a cable outlet and scan for CATV channels, does it pick anything up? if so then the same would be picked up by the tv tunner card.

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 08/28/2006 10:49 PM

Author Icon
sepheroth003

i wanna hear this too, been thinking about getting one, can you do PIP watch tv and browse internet at same time? That would be cool.

New Site!! Team Effex WoW, US Auchindoun Alliance IGN: Fearaga
 08/28/2006 10:50 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

yes if you have a cable outlet you can usually pick up what are normally antenna channels

BUT you can always just buy an antenna for $10

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 08/28/2006 10:51 PM

Author Icon
me=kon
Case Modder

quote:

Originally posted by: dot_pixel651
if you were to plug your tv to a cable outlet and scan for CATV channels, does it pick anything up? if so then the same would be picked up by the tv tunner card.

dot.

wouldnt that be cheating the cable company?

<br>Technic86 "Now I'm gonna agree and wish it was old times again. You know...before the forums were down every other week, before the spambots and hackers came, before the fanboys began to show face(sorry), before the forums went from a Support Place to a battlefield, before short tempers flared and...ahhh so on and so forth. The forums just
 08/28/2006 10:52 PM

Author Icon
sepheroth003

uh no, depends where you live, here if you have internet you have the very basic of cable, like 10 chans or something, basically local chans on cable. But I got digital so Im not worried bout that

New Site!! Team Effex WoW, US Auchindoun Alliance IGN: Fearaga
 08/28/2006 10:54 PM

Author Icon
me=kon
Case Modder

back to recommendations of tv tuners... lol

08/28/2006 11:00 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

quote:

Originally posted by: me=kon
wouldnt that be cheating the cable company?

i dont think so. dont they have to give you the basic channels since the internet transmits over the lower ones?

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 08/28/2006 11:20 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

In my experience trying to find clear over-the-air stations in analog with a tv-tuner are fairly hard. At my North Idaho location I do not have cable, satellite or etc...just basic over-the-air analog and I could not get it to work too well. Now you may want to look for a TV Tuner which has an ATSC (HD TV) tuner, so check around and find what stations broadcast in digital...and maybe spend the money on an HDTV tuner.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...ist....;Subcategory=47
From Newegg

Or maybe look at this one
http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html
http://www.provantage.com/ati-100-714127~7ATIT41Y.htm

People liked it at Newegg
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=...35wz...lient=firefox-a
 08/29/2006 12:04 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

i got the fusionHDTV5, which has ATSC and QAM. QAM basically means that if you ever do get digital/HD cable, you can still use the card, because non-QAM cards will not accept a decrypted signal.

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 08/29/2006 11:25 AM

Author Icon
JonJon
Code Monkey

don't go with the KWORLD HDTV tuner, royal flush i remember bought it and said it was a POS and returned it.

When it comes to normal, non-HDTV i say go with an ati theater 650 or 550pro based card. I do like my hauppauge 150MCEs but for a little extra money u get much better quality.

I've never used antenna signal for this, since where I live i have digital cable lol....unless you want HDTV, i suggest going for one of the cards I mentioned...last time i checked the hauppauge ran for 60 and the ati 550pros ran for 10-20 bucks more.....and yes both have integrated mpeg2 encoders.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information