Topic Title: Sata driver issues...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/21/2006 05:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/22/2006 04:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bvchurch

I doubt the controller is actually dead.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_drivers.html

Thre are your drivers, but to be honest on my Gigabyte K8U it was a pain to get the sata drivers to install, but you do not need then. Heck none of the computers that I have built up using Sata drive have actually needed the driver, and the provided windows driver seemed more than enough.

BTW do you have a drive to try at all before giving up?
 05/22/2006 04:59 PM

Author Icon
[255]

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
I doubt the controller is actually dead.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_drivers.html

Thre are your drivers, but to be honest on my Gigabyte K8U it was a pain to get the sata drivers to install, but you do not need then. Heck none of the computers that I have built up using Sata drive have actually needed the driver, and the provided windows driver seemed more than enough.

BTW do you have a drive to try at all before giving up?

Tried those. Tried with connecting a drive. It's a no go. connecting a sata drive correctly configured and working in a seperate asrock 939DS2 board with the same bios does not work in my system.

*shrug*

-------------------------
Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
2gig gskill @ DDR456 - 2.5-3-3-6
Saphire ATI Radeon x850xt @ 560/580 -SOLD-... Had to make ends meet.
 05/22/2006 05:04 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

You could try emailing this for an RMA
rma@asrockamerica.com

But it sounds like you have to contact the dealer where you purchased the motherboard from. The same is true with ECS/PCChips

If newegg
Standard Newegg.com Return Policy

Products sold by Newegg.com are covered by our Standard Return Policy, unless otherwise indicated. Merchandise under our Standard Return Policy may be returned within 30 days of the original invoice date for a refund, or within one year of the original invoice date for a replacement. All returns require an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number.
Many manufacturers offer additional factory coverage; you should contact the manufacturer of your item directly for information regarding eligibility and specific Terms and Conditions.

Thus you would have 1 year if you bought from newegg to get a replacement.
 05/22/2006 05:14 PM

Author Icon
[255]

Not worth replacing...
don't want another one, want a different one, from a totaly different company... one with at least not so conceited tech support.

Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
 05/22/2006 06:07 PM

Author Icon
Gunny

meh, all the asrock boards I've used have worked without a glitch.
Would buy them again if I had the choice.
Everything worked great,
their boot up speed is second to none (you don't even see the bios window anymore) and they are cheap.
Maybe you just got a bad one...
or you guys get lower quality?

=======================================
Intel E6300
1Gb DDRII
Asrock 945G-DVI
250Gb SATAII Seageate
XFX 7600GT xxx
Benq DVD-writer
Lite-on DVD-writer
 05/22/2006 07:14 PM

Author Icon
Booze46

quote:

Originally posted by: Gunny
meh, all the asrock boards I've used have worked without a glitch.
Would buy them again if I had the choice.
Everything worked great,
their boot up speed is second to none (you don't even see the bios window anymore) and they are cheap.
Maybe you just got a bad one...
or you guys get lower quality?

Mine works (out of the box) fine as well. However, the boot screen is an untidy mess - I definitely prefer the Award (startup) screen.
 05/22/2006 07:38 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown ' date='May 22 2006, 02:14 PM' post='1363949267']
Not worth replacing...
don't want another one, want a different one, from a totaly different company... one with at least not so conceited tech support.

Well I mean what do you expect, tech support not to follow their rules?

This is probably found in the ASRock manual but here is the web version of it.
http://asrockamerica.com/Policy.htm
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown RMA Procedures
* RMA hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday;
* Customer must call Seller’s Customer Service Department to obtain a RMA Rquest Form (RRF). Customer must fill out this RRF to include Product Code(s), Quantities, Version, Serial Number(s), Invoice Number(s), Invoice Date(s), and Description of the Problem(s). Customer then fax this completed RRF to Seller’s Customer Service Department along with a copy of Seller’s invoice;
* Seller will either call or fax Customer advising Customer Seller’s RMA Number;
* After being assigned a RMA Number, Customer must ship the product(s) back to Seller freight prepaid. The RMA shipment must include copy of the completed RRF. The outer shipment box must show the assigned RMA Number clearly printed on the outside of the box or otherwise the return shipment will not be accepted.

The RMA policy is for you to contact the original retailer of the product. See the retailer HAS to support you when they agree to sell the products of ASRock in this case. As I noted above, Elitegroup Computer Systems and PouChen Chips follow the exact same guidelines. At least they were able to properly diagnose your problem, something to which I find Asus (sister of ASRock) to do very little.

Personally I think the ASRock motherboard is a great board for the money, thus if you can not return it for full credit I would RMA the board. If you are looking for a new board I would look into the direction of Gigabyte, Epox, or maybe Asus. I like Gigabyte's boards for their overall stability and warranty, Epox also produce stable boards, but they can also overclock as well as the DFI.
 05/22/2006 09:57 PM

Author Icon
[255]

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
The RMA policy is for you to contact the original retailer of the product. See the retailer HAS to support you when they agree to sell the products of ASRock in this case. As I noted above, Elitegroup Computer Systems and PouChen Chips follow the exact same guidelines. At least they were able to properly diagnose your problem, something to which I find Asus (sister of ASRock) to do very little.

I admit that the board does what I want it to do for the time being, and for 65 bucks you really can't beat it. This is true.

My point in most of my frustration is that the tech support people say themselves that they would give an RMA if they knew it was the board's fault. Not that they simply won't, but because I cannot without a doubt in their mind prove that the board is at least somewhat faulty, they are refusing an rma.
I can always RMA to newegg, I know this. I just really don't want to wait all that time for a replacement because I don't have a backup right here ready to go.

To end this struggle (mostly in my head) this board will become a backup as soon as I can afford another board that I can tinker with and has good options ($150+ range). That will however be quite some time an sadly I was hoping to migrate to Sata as a few people I know trade out hardware pretty randomly and I would eventualy come across sata drives, or find a good deal at the local Frys. Either way, it's all good in the end. Decent board, Oc's like a beast for my needs. Doesn't fry my hardware like my last board did. I'm frustrated... but appeased. Silly emotions...

Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information