AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Network Storage
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/29/2006 11:51 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2006 11:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
64bitX2g33k
Senior Member

Posts: 282
Joined: 01/02/2006

I Have a portable Hard drive hooked up to a computer in my house, and I have it shared, now I can't remember how to get access to it from the other computer in the house.

-------------------------
CompTIA A+ Certified IT Professional
 10/29/2006 11:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mckennma
Senior Member

Posts: 2989
Joined: 06/01/2005

quote:

Originally posted by: 64bitX2g33k
I Have a portable Hard drive hooked up to a computer in my house, and I have it shared, now I can't remember how to get access to it from the other computer in the house.



You have to log in to the other computer with the hard drive using the account you have access to the share with from My Network places.

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 10/30/2006 12:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
boule
Senior Member

Posts: 2621
Joined: 10/24/2005

You have to put all the other computers on the network by giving them the same range of local ips (192.168.1.xx). It's also easier to put them all in the same workgroup.

When you go to "My Network Places" and "View Workgroup Computers", you should see the shared drives...

-------------------------
Desktop:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton) @ 200x10.5=2100MHz | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | Corsair 2xCMX512-3200C2PT @ 2.5-3-3-8 | MSI GeForce FX 5600 128MB | Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB SATA II | Antec NeoPower 480W | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty

Laptop:
Dell Latitude 120L | Intel Pentium M 740 | OCZ 2x1GB PC2-5400 | Western Digital Scorpio WD1200VE 120GB
 10/30/2006 01:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

Posts: 523
Joined: 01/06/2005

the simplest ways is just:

\\computername in the address bar of an explorer or ie window, that'll access the computer directly, then you can go from there to whatever is shared

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma
You have to log in to the other computer with the hard drive using the account you have access to the share with from My Network places.



it's already shared though?

quote:

Originally posted by: boule
You have to put all the other computers on the network by giving them the same range of local ips (192.168.1.xx)


not really, if the place has multiple routers, switches, or whatever, there'll be different ranges used by those and everything should work fine together, as long as they are connected together in some way the ip doesn't matter

-------------------------
PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 10/30/2006 01:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
boule
Senior Member

Posts: 2621
Joined: 10/24/2005

quote:

Originally posted by: np6s4x
it's already shared though?


Yeah but it could be password protected

quote:

Originally posted by: np6s4x
not really, if the place has multiple routers, switches, or whatever, there'll be different ranges used by those and everything should work fine together, as long as they are connected together in some way the ip doesn't matter


The computers would be on different local networks, and if they're not connected together, then they won't all be accessible to each other

-------------------------
Desktop:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton) @ 200x10.5=2100MHz | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | Corsair 2xCMX512-3200C2PT @ 2.5-3-3-8 | MSI GeForce FX 5600 128MB | Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB SATA II | Antec NeoPower 480W | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty

Laptop:
Dell Latitude 120L | Intel Pentium M 740 | OCZ 2x1GB PC2-5400 | Western Digital Scorpio WD1200VE 120GB
 10/30/2006 01:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

Posts: 523
Joined: 01/06/2005

quote:

Originally posted by: boule
Yeah but it could be password protected


still not quite sure what doing something on the already shared and setup computer, has to do with accessing the data from a different one?

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown The computers would be on different local networks, and if they're not connected together, then they won't all be accessible to each other



lol, well yea, if they physically aren't connected then it isn't gonna work, i mean there being like 192.168.100.x, 192.168.10.x, 192.168.5.x, and some on each, every computer should be able to access every computer if the routers are all connected together

-------------------------
PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 10/30/2006 01:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
boule
Senior Member

Posts: 2621
Joined: 10/24/2005

quote:

Originally posted by: np6s4x
still not quite sure what doing something on the already shared and setup computer, has to do with accessing the data from a different one?


He was saying to log on to the computer with the shated disk from ANOTHER computer

quote:

Originally posted by: np6s4x
lol, well yea, if they physically aren't connected then it isn't gonna work, i mean there being like 192.168.100.x, 192.168.10.x, 192.168.5.x, and some on each, every computer should be able to access every computer if the routers are all connected together


Nops, even if all are on the same network, with only one router, you can configure them in such a way that they are on different sub-networks, and you can't access one from a different sub-network.

I was more referring to one with the address 192.168.1.1 and another with 193.168.1.1... It also has something to do with the subnet mask

-------------------------
Desktop:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton) @ 200x10.5=2100MHz | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | Corsair 2xCMX512-3200C2PT @ 2.5-3-3-8 | MSI GeForce FX 5600 128MB | Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB SATA II | Antec NeoPower 480W | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty

Laptop:
Dell Latitude 120L | Intel Pentium M 740 | OCZ 2x1GB PC2-5400 | Western Digital Scorpio WD1200VE 120GB
 10/30/2006 02:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

Posts: 523
Joined: 01/06/2005

quote:

Originally posted by: boule
He was saying to log on to the computer with the shated disk from ANOTHER computer


umm...the post doesn't say anything about logging on to the computer itself, just the shared drive

-------------------------
PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 10/30/2006 02:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bvchurch
Senior Member

Posts: 8655
Joined: 06/24/2004

quote:

Originally posted by: 64bitX2g33k
I Have a portable Hard drive hooked up to a computer in my house, and I have it shared, now I can't remember how to get access to it from the other computer in the house.


I would reference this guide:
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=52145

Just make sure to share the drive on the computer you have the drive attached to
Make sure all computers are on the same workgroup
And that should be it.
 10/30/2006 12:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
64bitX2g33k
Senior Member

Posts: 282
Joined: 01/02/2006

Thanks for the help when I get home tonight I will try some of your options then repost.

-------------------------
CompTIA A+ Certified IT Professional
 10/30/2006 02:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jack1314
Senior Member

Posts: 487
Joined: 10/05/2004

Have you ran network wizard on both machines?

-------------------------
Athlon 64 3000+
2 x 512mb pc2700
Nvidia Geforce4 440 GO 64mb
NEC DVD +/- RW ND-6450A
Windows xp pro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.



Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information