AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does the AMD Optimizer crash your PC?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/17/2006 11:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/17/2006 11:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
fizzbang

From the Microsoft hotfix and the AMD drivers web pages...

Microsoft says...
"This hotfix also addresses the following issues on computers that have multiple processors that support processor performance states:
• A possible decrease in performance on single-threaded workloads when processor performance states are using demand-based switching.
The synchronization of the processor Time Stamp Counter (TSC) registers across processors when you use the ACPI Power Management timer on multiprocessor systems.
• ACPI C-state promotion and demotion issues in the kernel power manager."

AMD says...
"The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized."

My question is, can having 2 applications contending for control of the TSC's at the same time cause problems? I have a programmer friend who says "Two separate drivers trying to 'correct' the TSC's, at the same time, in an uncoordinated fashion, could cause severe problems, up to and including freezes and crashes." Is he right?

Up to this point I’d never installed either, so I decided to do a little experimenting. When I installed either the optimizer or the hotfix alone, my computer ran fine. When I installed both together, it usually froze either immediately once it get into Windows, or soon thereafter. And we've all seen the scads of "I just installed the AMD Optimizer and it sucks!" threads. I've noticed that when the they mention it at all, most of them have the hotfix already installed. Of course the counter argument is that there are plenty of others who are running with both apps installed and are having no problems.

Opinions? Comments? Corrections? Flames?

-------------------------
939Dual-SATA2 v1.05, BIOS v2.31
Opteron 165 (CCBWE 0550UPMW) @2.7GHz, 1.35V
TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2.5-3-3-6 1T
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
ATI X1800GTO
 08/18/2006 12:44 AM

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

have all the patches, hotfixes, optimizers, and no crashes at all

PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 08/18/2006 03:00 AM

Author Icon
action man

*SIGH* despite my machine folding 24/7 and thus under full load all the time i have yet to see a single crash.

unless you have any evidence other than a theory i would say stop scare mongering /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="h34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 08/18/2006 07:16 AM

Author Icon
fizzbang

Scare mongering? Wow. All I know is that when I install both, my machine crashes. When I install only one or the other, it's fine. I know a bunch of other folk who've had the same results, (only anecdotal, I know) and if you look at the many "I just installed the AMD optimizer and it sucks!" threads, well there's something going on.

Not scare mongering, just putting info in front of the community. If its right and helps someone, great. If it's wrong, no big deal; I've been wrong plenty of times before. Maybe I should have phrased the heading in the form of a question?

Thermaltake Big Typhoon
ATI X1800GTO
 08/18/2006 07:37 AM

Author Icon
action man

ok thats fair enough but you didnt state that in your original post. all you said was "this software does this and this software does that so i think this will happen"
you didnt say youhad a problem you phrased as a theory based on the description of the two pieces of saftware in question

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 08/18/2006 08:21 AM

Author Icon
fizzbang

I take your point too. I'm going to reformat the OP and try to get some more info.

edit: You'd think I'd have learned by now that late nights, tequila, and forums don't mix.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon
ATI X1800GTO
 08/18/2006 12:40 PM

Author Icon
sepheroth003

When I just installed my X2 3800+ I just did the AMD driver and the optimizer, no problems yet.

New Site!! Team Effex WoW, US Auchindoun Alliance IGN: Fearaga
 12/21/2006 02:42 AM

Author Icon
tvgm2

I installed the optimizer, and now when I try to boot Windows, it resets my computer.

Going into Safe Mode, the event viewer says:
"Microsoft ® Windows ® 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Multiprocessor Free."
as the last event logged before restarting.

I want to get rid of the optimizer but Add/Remove programs says:
"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I looked for the Hotfix #896256 to remove, but it wasn't in my Add/Remove Programs list.

What am I supposed to do?
 12/21/2006 04:52 AM

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

have you installed the processor driver? (yes, it has one)

the file that runs at start up is located at:

C:\Program Files\AMD\amd_dc_opt\amd_dc_opt.exe

maybe try renaming it to something else temp. and see if that helps?

PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 12/22/2006 09:26 PM

Author Icon
tvgm2

I installed the hotfix and enabled it by following this tutorial. I'm back up.

Windows will not start up if you only install the hotfix.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information